Hacking Can't load up Homebrew Channel anymore after stupid mistake

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

Is the title says I have done something silly and installed a cios that has stopped me from loading up the homebrew channel (Get a black screen) Can't load any homebrew (Was using Wiiflow Mod version 4.4.2 i think and get a black screen) and can't reinstall bootmii (Gets stuck at the scam screen before you have to press 1) Did a factory reset on the WiiU side but nothing has helped.

Was trying to get tatsunoko vs capcom to work in Wiiflow Mod

Is there anything I can do to get homebrew back? (Was thinking of reflashing my dump to the nand but don't even know if you can)

Really need help as only had the machine 6 days lol

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the smashstack (or w/e exploited you originally used to install HBC) to launch the CIOS installer you originally used to install the CIOS in question. Once the installer comes up navigate to the problematic CIOS and uninstall it using the on screen instructions. Post back with your results or if you have any questions :)

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for getting back to me, it is very much appreciated!

I used the Indiana Jones hack to get bootmii loaded so will use that again. Feel stupid for asking this but how do I get the CIOS installer (I used Multi Mod Mii) to boot up? As you know its a dol file and not an elf file (Finding modding the vWii a lot harder then modding a Wii lol)
So can I have some help on that please?

(Sorry I keep asking question but as I said i'm finding hacking the vWii a lot harder then a real Wii)

(EDIT)

Tried renaming the MMM boot.dol file to boot.elf and put it in the root of my SD card but it will not boot into MMM and says hanging

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forget about bootmii and HBC altogether. Take the elf or dol file for the Syscheck app itself and launch it directly using the Indiana PWNS exploit. This will require that you take the existing boot.dol/elf file that comes with the Indiana Pwns exploit (should be the hackmii installer) and replace it with the syscheck boot.dol/elf. Make sure you rename the Syscheck file to be exactly the same as the hackmii installer file name was. Then launch the exploit and it should automatically boot into the Syscheck application.

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right tried what you said (Been trying what you said for hours now and no go my end)

My card is set up this way: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91659847/20140716_145529.jpg

When I rename the SysCheck dol file (its already named boot.dol) to boot.elf and put in the root I get this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91659847/20140716_144110.jpg

When I get rid of the bootmii elf file and just replace it with the SysCheck dol file in the root I get this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91659847/20140716_145202.jpg

Been at this for 9 hours now and I have not gotten anywhere lol

EDIT

Found a elf file of USBLoaderGX (A version that runs on ios250 AND IT BOOTED!
So this have given me a big smile and I know not all is lost!

EDIT 2

Been loading dol files through USBLoaderGX and NOTHING is working :(

SysCheckHDE just hangs with a black screen
InspectMii just hangs with a black screen
MMM just hangs with a black screen
d2x-cios-installer loads up till i get this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91659847/20140716_171928.jpg

So not having much luck and running out of ideas

EDIT 3

Managed to get Wad Manager 1.7 to run so I thought I would try and get IOS236 Installer MOD v7 Special vWii Edition to run and it did. Thought it would be a good plan to install IOS236 but when I try to install the IOS it looks for IOS36 revision 3864 then hangs so I guess that IOS has been messed up (Yes I know you should NEVER mess with any IOS below 200)

So i'm guessing I need to install that IOS but where do i find it?

EDIT 4

Found the IOS I needed from an idea that CYAN made me think about so thanks to him for that. But i'm a bit worried about how to install it so if anyone is reading this I need some help with installing IOS36 please

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To install an IOS, you need hardware access.

launching homebrew using the game exploit doesn't provide hardware access (only the homebrew channel or an already installed forwarder does).
So, you can launch homebrew which doesn't require hardware access, such as USBLoaderGX, but it will then not be able to provide that access to other homebrew as it doesn't have it.
Unless USBLoaderGX booted using cIOS d2x, then it should have ahb access and could pass it to launched homebrew.

Do you have a forwarder installed?

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
launching homebrew using the game exploit doesn't provide hardware access (only the homebrew channel or an already installed forwarder does).
So, you can launch homebrew which doesn't require hardware access, such as USBLoaderGX, but it will then not be able to provide that access to other homebrew as it doesn't have it.

Do you have a forwarder installed?

I did have the green Homebrew Channel Forwarder and the Wiiflow forwarder but I was just getting a black screen so I factory resetted my Wii U to see if that help but it didn't sadly (I did not know at the time if I was a good plan to do so)

I just need to know how to install IOS36 safely now

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, you still have these channels installed? Great :)
(factory reseting also reset vWii?)

instead of launching boot.elf from a game exploit (which will not work), put your boot.dol on your SD card to the place where the forwarder expect wiiflow (I guess apps/wiiflow/boot.dol)
it will launch your homebrew with ahb_access.
So, if you can launch MMM, it will work.

Before reinstalling wads, maybe try to run syscheck to see if you have the correct versions. you can post the syscheck here. (not sure if users know which version to expect on vWii).

I guess the one you really want to install from your NAND dump is IOS58. it will make the HBC working again.

If you don't have the Wiiflow forwarder, try launching USBLoaderGX again from the game exploit. Then go to Credit screen and check if you see "+AHB" in the top right.
if it's there, you should be able to launch MMM from USBGX. Not sure why it only black screen.

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, you still have these channels installed? Great :)

instead of launching boot.elf from a game exploit (which will not work), put your boot.dol on your SD card to the place where the forwarder expect wiiflow (I guess apps/wiiflow/boot.dol)
it will launch your homebrew with ahb_access.
So, if you can launch MMM, it will work.

Before reinstalling wads, maybe try to run syscheck to see if you have the correct versions.

Not being rude but have you read everything I have posted on here? I said I did have them but don't anymore. When I had them after my mistake EVERY forwarder did not work (When Clicked the screen went black and hanged) So I thought I would try another way to fix my problems. I have managed to run two wad installers via the Indiana Pwns exploit but now I need to reinstall IOS36 but don't know the safest way to do so (As in what wad manager I should use to install IOS36)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did read, but I thought you reseted only the wiiU side, not vWii.

There were two or three other thread with the semi-brick issue.
I can try to find them if it can help you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here is the guide to fix IOS58 :
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/#post-4755115 (try1)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/#post-4756051 (try2)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/page-2#post-4756201 (success)

You need a cIOS installed (I guess you have 249/250)

If you have upside down HBC too, reinstall it with a wad manager which is not silently-patching IOSes.
The guide says he used WiiMod's incorporated Wad Manager. at least he could launch HBC. So from HBC relaunch MMM and reinstall your IOS58 again. MMM shouldn't patch the signature without telling you.

and sorry for previous messages if I felt aggressive. You didn't clearly stated what you did wrong in your first post, just "installed a cios and hbc stopped working". no info on which cIOS, etc. I often don't understand why users still mess with their IOS when all guides says to not do it so I get little upset.

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is the guide to fix IOS58 :
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/#post-4755115 (try1)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/#post-4756051 (try2)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-semi-bricked.353595/page-2#post-4756201 (success)

You need a cIOS installed (I guess you have 249/250)

If you have upside down HBC too, reinstall it with a wad manager which is not silently-patching IOSes.
The guide says he used WiiMod's incorporated Wad Manager. at least he could launch HBC. So from HBC relaunch MMM and reinstall your IOS58 again. MMM shouldn't patch the signature without telling you.

and sorry for previous messages if I felt aggressive. You didn't clearly stated what you did wrong in your first post, just "installed a cios and hbc stopped working". no info on which cIOS, etc. I often don't understand why users still mess with their IOS when all guides says to not do it so I get little upset.

Its ok dude, no harm done and yes its my fault for not explaining myself. Right I have managed to install an unpatched IOS36 with the boot.elf of YAWMM with base 236, now to follow the guide you posed to fix IOS58 then hopefully I can post the output file that Syscheck gives me

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right i'm trying to install IOS58-v6432 ripped from my Nand backup but getting a Install Ticket Error (ret = -1017)

Tried to look up this error but can not find any info on it

EDIT

Forgot to say I'm installing it from an SD card

EDIT 2

Managed to install IOS58 using 236 as base but it still freezes before the press 1 screen when trying to reinstall HBC so again I have hit a brick wall lol

Going to need to think about this again!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think it's an error when you have a bad or corrupted ticket.
Try to re-extract the wad from your dump with ShowMiiWad mod (I think you need the latest mod for vWii. I don't remember very well why the mod is required, sorry).

If it still happen, I hope someone else can help you.

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's an error when you have a bad or corrupted ticket.
Try to re-extract the wad from your dump with ShowMiiWad mod (I think you need the latest mod for vWii. I don't remember very well why the mod is required, sorry).

If it still happen, I hope someone else can help you.

Its ok, I managed to install it with 236 base instead of 249/250 but i'm still getting the screen freeze on me

EDIT

Right managed to get Syscheck to run via the elf version of USBLoaderGX so here is the SysCheck file!

SysCheck v2.2.0 HD Edition by Double_A and R2-D2199, JoostinOnline, Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v546)

Drive date: 07.12.2012
Homebrew Channel is not installed

Hollywood v0x0
Console ID: 615108632
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United Kingdom (110)
Boot2 v0
Found 49 titles.
Found 36 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stub.

IOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
IOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
IOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
IOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
IOS223[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
BC v6
MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.10+)
IOS512 (rev 7): NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS513 (rev 1): NAND Access, USB 2.0
Report generated on 07/16/2014.

Can someone look through this for me and tell me what is wrong? (I don't like the look of IOS223, BC v6 or MIOS v10 but it might just be me)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.