Gaming Can't install games with InstallShield

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey all! I'm having some issues installing some of my games, there fairly old so they use Installshield to install, however no matter what I do I am always met with an error stating:

Unhandled Exception
Error Number: 0x80040706
Description: Object reference not set

Setup will now terminate.

I am running a genuine copy of Windows 10 if that helps.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Might not have been a day but I've decided that I want to bump this as it's really annoying me and I still can't get help, I sat with Microsoft Tech Support for 30 minutes and they couldn't help me, I've tried quite a lot of fixes I've found on the web but none of them have helped whatsoever. I also cannot seem to find a way to contact the people who made InstallShield to report the issue.

mbcrazed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have two suggestions that I can think of.
First, try to change the Compatibility to Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 or something and see if that fixes it.
If that doesn't work, run cmd as an administrator and do a scan by typing : sfc /scannow
That's all I got. I hope your problem gets fixed!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whilst I can't find any answers for you, I can tell you that it's Flexera Software that made installshield. Contact information can be found on their site: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/producer/company/about/contact-us/

Google turned up a press release page about InstallShield 2015 giving guaranteed Windows 10 compatibility, so older versions may require the devs to patch that in (unlikely in most cases).

Also this forum has a rule against double posting. Bumping won't help because it won't get you any more visibility in the computing section. If someone has an answer, they will usually post within a couple days. If nobody posts, that simply means nobody has an answer and bumping won't change that.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I only have two suggestions that I can think of.
First, try to change the Compatibility to Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 or something and see if that fixes it.
If that doesn't work, run cmd as an administrator and do a scan by typing : sfc /scannow
That's all I got. I hope your problem gets fixed!
I've tried compatibility mode and that just freezes the installer, haven't tried with Windows 7 however, I've also tried using the cmd thing and it just says that it cant find any issues, however my problem still remains

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whilst I can't find any answers for you, I can tell you that it's Flexera Software that made installshield. Contact information can be found on their site: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/producer/company/about/contact-us/

Google turned up a press release page about InstallShield 2015 giving guaranteed Windows 10 compatibility, so older versions may require the devs to patch that in (unlikely in most cases).

Also this forum has a rule against double posting. Bumping won't help because it won't get you any more visibility in the computing section. If someone has an answer, they will usually post within a couple days. If nobody posts, that simply means nobody has an answer and bumping won't change that.
Thanks for the info! I don't know the rules for this forum as this is my first time posting this section, thankyou for giving me some general rules to follow.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Nope, how would I go about setting one up?
There are lots of pieces of software to do this. Oracle VM VirtualBox is a good free one. VMWare is pretty good too. You're going to have to look up a tutorial. If you don't know what a Virtual Machine is, imagine an entire OS installation in a file, that runs withing a window.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It might be the case that you're using one of the installers that doesn't work with a 64bit OS. Some of them, like X-Wing Alliance have fan made installers, others don't, you might have luck searching on a game by game basis.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It might be the case that you're using one of the installers that doesn't work with a 64bit OS. Some of them, like X-Wing Alliance have fan made installers, others don't, you might have luck searching on a game by game basis.
I could install them just fine on Windows 8 but it just doesn't seem to work on 10

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Using a XP virtual machine allows me to install games, thanks for the suggestion @Heran Bago
However now I want to put my game files on the host system however I can't seem to get it to work. I am using Oracle VM and I have drag & drop enabled, however when I drag the files to host they never seem to get there, it just sits there saying that it's transferring it or something along those lines, it never moves from 0%

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple