Hardware Can't decide/figure out which external HDD option is best

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't an original topic, but I've been reading through a bunch of different threads and I'm having a hard time finding a consensus on this. I just ordered a Wii U and I've been on a steep learning curve the last couple of days figuring out what I need to mod it and which external storage is good for backups and stuff. I like going the "set it and forget it" route when I can, so I was planning to get a large external drive just for Wii U and VC stuff (already got a wii modded for wii/gc stuff). I've been reading about how using external drives is different on the Wii U though and that you either need a Y cable or an AC-powered drive to have the power necessary to use them.

That said, I'm torn on which external drive to get. Is it really that much of a risk to use a usb-powered external with a Y cable, as opposed to one with an AC adapter? And are there any performances differences? I found a 3tb AC-powered Seagate for around $80, but I could save about $23 if I go with the $50 1tb Toshiba and a $7 Y cable. Given the size difference, the Seagate is a better deal, but I doubt I'd need that much space anyway--especially since the Wii U can only utilize 2tb.

TLDR -- Just curious about how dangerous using a Y cable really is, and if you guys think going with the AC-powered drive would be the better option overall? Also curious about what you all use and how well it's worked for you.

Thanks in advance

(One other, completely off-topic question: Is it possible to use the Wii U online (like multiplayer and such) after it's been modded and the DNS stuff has been changed to avoid updating?)

Last edited by Alacres,

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
it depends on your usage..
i think 1tb will be enough even with injecting wii and gc games
i have a 1tb drive which has like 600 still free with almost all of the wii u games installed + some wii/gc games, so it seems like even after finishing installing literally everything i want i will have a bit of free space

y cable is fine, i use one

and yes it's possible to play online after setting up dns, but don't use the old dns or else no internet activity will work

Reactions: Alacres

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, so is it actually possible to put wii/gc games on the same drive as wii u stuff? I was reading you had to put them on separate drives. Man, I'd probably get the bigger drive if it's now possible to do that.

Nice! I'm using one of the newer guides for modding, so hopefully the dns stuff is be up-to-date.

Thanks for the help!

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Wow, so is it actually possible to put wii/gc games on the same drive as wii u stuff? I was reading you had to put them on separate drives. Man, I'd probably get the bigger drive if it's now possible to do that.

Nice! I'm using one of the newer guides for modding, so hopefully the dns stuff is be up-to-date.

Thanks for the help!
Yes you can. WiiVC injection. Also works with Wii homebrews

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the help!
that is only if you actually boot into the vwii menu

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is only if you actually boot into the vwii menu

So you mean that in order to play wii/gc games off of the same HDD as the Wii U stuff, you need to turn the system off and boot directly to the vWii mode? And if so, I guess setting up the cold boot thing for Wii U mode would make this impossible? That's what I had planned to do originally.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So you mean that in order to play wii/gc games off of the same HDD as the Wii U stuff, you need to turn the system off and boot directly to the vWii mode? And if so, I guess setting up the cold boot thing for Wii U mode would make this impossible? That's what I had planned to do originally.

The old way (which still works) is modding Vwii to install the HBC, CIOS (appropriate for Vwii), usb loaders (requiring a separate hard drive or SD card)

The new cool way, especially if you don't also want to play them on a real Wii, is converting Wii/GC games to WiiU titles - they will install (from SD) to internal storage or the hard drive normally used for WiiU mode, be selectable directly from the WiiU launcher (with any controller usable in WiiU mode), and may even be playable with the gamepad buttons depending on the game! (for this to work, the game must support being controlled by a Classic Controller or wiimore buttons only, no motion/pointer - in any case you can always play them with Wii controllers as always)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

no the way you play wii/gc on the same drive as wii u is to install the games as channels with wup installer or such things as Nintendont forwarder

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's awesome! I can't believe I haven't seen anything else about this. Are the wii/gc games you inject fully playable and everything? I understand that the Gamepad won't work for many of the wii games, but the fact that it works for any of them period is a surprise to me. Do injected GC games actually work with the Wii U gamepad?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1