Hacking can't boot into my old emunand

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently decided to start using my 3ds again. I was on reinand 4.0 on 10.4 iirc. I decided to update my emunand to the latest 3ds firmware, and it was successful. Then I heard reinand is no longer being actively worked on, so I decided to switch to luma 3ds. I replaced the files and booted it up, but I kept getting a black screen. I could access the luma menu, but I could not boot into the cfw. I then decided to switch back to reinand, but I got a black screen again. I tried several times and nothing worked. Is there a way I can boot back into my emunand, or do I have to restore it?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I recently decided to start using my 3ds again. I was on reinand 4.0 on 10.4 iirc. I decided to update my emunand to the latest 3ds firmware, and it was successful. Then I heard reinand is no longer being actively worked on, so I decided to switch to luma 3ds. I replaced the files and booted it up, but I kept getting a black screen. I could access the luma menu, but I could not boot into the cfw. I then decided to switch back to reinand, but I got a black screen again. I tried several times and nothing worked. Is there a way I can boot back into my emunand, or do I have to restore it?
1. If you have a flashcart in the cartridge slot then remove it before you boot up
2. Are you on < 9.0 sysNAND? If so make sure you followed https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade when you were adding the luma files, you may need a firmware.bin

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If you have a flashcart in the cartridge slot then remove it before you boot up
2. Are you on < 9.0 sysNAND? If so make sure you followed https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade when you were adding the luma files, you may need a firmware.bin
1. I had a very old R4 flash cart(1st gen flash card I think) in my 3DS, but removing it did not fix the problem
2. I am on 9.2. I downgraded my New 3DS to 19.2 since that's the best possible firmware for CFW.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
1. I had a very old R4 flash cart(1st gen flash card I think) in my 3DS, but removing it did not fix the problem
2. I am on 9.2. I downgraded my New 3DS to 19.2 since that's the best possible firmware for CFW.
How are you booting luma; through hbl?
It's probably using an old version so update to the latest one.

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you booting luma; through hbl?
It's probably using an old version so update to the latest one.
Yea, I'm using HBL. IDK if it needs to be updated, What's the latest version?

You should also try to setup a splash image on boot (that fixes some blackscreens)
My reinand has a splash screen, sometimes it freezes on the splash screen, other times it doesn't.

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now it looks like it either made another nand or it's acting like Pasta CFW, because it puts me back to the menu with no changes, and when I check, it's on Luma3ds (since it says sys instead of ver).

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible you could be missing the 4.x firmware.bin/cetk from your luma folder.

Honestly I'd just say follow Plailect's guide and move your emunand to sysnand and that'll get it working and you'll have a9lh.

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible you could be missing the 4.x firmware.bin/cetk from your luma folder.

Honestly I'd just say follow Plailect's guide and move your emunand to sysnand and that'll get it working and you'll have a9lh.
If there's no risk involved, I'd be willing to do that.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well just check your emunand & titles are there before the move to a9lh. Are you seeing different nand versions i.e 9.2 sysnand and 11.2 emunand?
The full install instructions [for luma3ds] are: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade you would need the firmware.bin if on 4.0 sysnamd
I saw 2 nands when I went through my micro sd card, and it looks like it is a really big file size, so I think it's still there, and I don't need firmware.bin since I'm on 9.2.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have two folders in 'Nintendo 3DS' and have you formatted any nand since the last time you used your emunand. There's a chance the two were linked & by formatting sysnand you've effectively removed your titles from emunand.

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have two folders in 'Nintendo 3DS' and have you formatted any nand since the last time you used your emunand. There's a chance the two were linked & by formatting sysnand you've effectively removed your titles from emunand.
I have two folders in the Nintendo 3DS folder, and I think I removed one of the folders from it yesterday because I didn't know what else to do.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
The one you removed may have been your emunands titles/saves then; and that's why your emunand appears blank. Hopefully you have a copy saved somewhere...

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one you removed may have been your emunands titles/saves then; and that's why your emunand appears blank. Hopefully you have a copy saved somewhere...
I'm pretty sure it was the sysnand because it was really small in file size, and it pretty much acted like I formatted it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I saw 2 nands when I went through my micro sd card, and it looks like it is a really big file size, so I think it's still there, and I don't need firmware.bin since I'm on 9.2.
you wouldn't be able to *see* your emunand by looking at the sd contents, emunand is a separate partition on the SD, that's actually how many people ended up updating sysnand originally as they assumed their nand dump on their sd card (usually a file called nand.bin or nandmin. bin) meant they were using emunand

SmashMan4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you wouldn't be able to *see* your emunand by looking at the sd contents, emunand is a separate partition on the SD, that's actually how many people ended up updating sysnand originally as they assumed their nand dump on their sd card (usually a file called nand.bin or nandmin. bin) meant they were using emunand
How can I see the partition then?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2