Hacking Can't believe Nintendo did this! Don't send in a repair with Homebrew installed!

eegor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there is nothing I can do now and really it was my own fault but even after my mistake I thought they would just refuse the repair, or at least tell me I had to pay but what they did was somewhat under handed so modders beware!

Back in March I installed HBC more to see if it was possible. I never got my USB loaders to work properly and then my USB drive died, so I said screw it and just never used it again. For the next couple of months everything was fine. Then my 2 year old started to learn how to use the Wii U. My feeling is after many drops, the gamepad stopped functioning (Even with a Nerf protector on it). It behaved as if the touch screen was meesed up. It just would not recognize any input, even after doing all the various troubleshooting techniques.

At this point I don't play too often and it is really my 3 kids who use it, so I had my wife call Nintendo to see if they would repair it. Nintendo told us that the Wii U was out of warranty by 1 month, but because it was only a month they would do the repair for free. Way to go Nintendo! We were happy but the kids were a little upset that they wouldn't have the Wii U over Christmas. No big deal right? Beats buying a new system.

Well that's where I made my mistake. I totally forgot about the Homebrew Channel and they require you send in the Gamepad and the Console.

We got everything back 2 weeks later with a letter basically saying because they found Homebrew on it and that they were not going to get the repair done. But instead of sending me back my Wii U with how I sent it in, they sent back a paper weight. The Console powers on and mechanically functions but there is absolutely no video output, no warning messages, no flicker of the screen just nothing. At first I thought my wife had things plugged in wrong but when I double checked it sure enough was totally bricked.

So yeah that's my story and warning not to be careless like I was if you ever send it in for repair. Heck they still might of detected the HBC even if I removed it so I'm not really sure. I was a little shocked at the outcome. Like I said, they should have at least sent it back the way they got it but instead were A-holes and screwed it up and then sent it back. Nintendo definitely was sending a big FU my way.

I later thought that the only non-malicious thing would have been that they tried to repair it via software and the Homebrew screwed it up??? But I highly doubt it, and after all, remember that the issue was that the gamepad screen was messed up. The console was fine.

Well I'm still a fan of Nintendo but just a little less now. I plan to go buy a White Wii U but will probably no longer buy 3rd party titles like Just Dance 4 or Skylanders for Wii U and instead get those for Xbox. My HBC Wii died last year and just haven't had a chance to look for another Wii.

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you assume Nintendo deliberately bricked it? It could have easily been damaged during shipping.

Not really. It's not like they shipped a full-sized computer tower with components already installed. It's a small Wii-U and unless the package was damaged, there's no reason for it to have been damaged during transit.

That doesn't mean Nintendo did anything malicious, but I'd say shipping damage is at the very bottom of likely reasons.

matt1tude

Trophies
XP
Country
i'd take it apart just incase they've disconnected some of the wires or removed some parts out of spite. Or by chance they were checking to see if everything was working correctly and found the homebrew and either forgot or didnt bother reconnecting something internally.

Reactions: Shadow#1 and pelago

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's odd-bizzare not to mention criminal. If they refuse service, they should just send the system back with you paying for postage. As it stands, they literally damaged your property. Shame that it probably wouldn't stand in court - the judge would probably figure that a lack of video output was the reason why you sent it in in the first place.

Jackeees_35

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know there is nothing I can do now and really it was my own fault but even after my mistake I thought they would just refuse the repair, or at least tell me I had to pay but what they did was somewhat under handed so modders beware!

Back in March I installed HBC more to see if it was possible. I never got my USB loaders to work properly and then my USB drive died, so I said screw it and just never used it again. For the next couple of months everything was fine. Then my 2 year old started to learn how to use the Wii U. My feeling is after many drops, the gamepad stopped functioning (Even with a Nerf protector on it). It behaved as if the touch screen was meesed up. It just would not recognize any input, even after doing all the various troubleshooting techniques.

At this point I don't play too often and it is really my 3 kids who use it, so I had my wife call Nintendo to see if they would repair it. Nintendo told us that the Wii U was out of warranty by 1 month, but because it was only a month they would do the repair for free. Way to go Nintendo! We were happy but the kids were a little upset that they wouldn't have the Wii U over Christmas. No big deal right? Beats buying a new system.

Well that's where I made my mistake. I totally forgot about the Homebrew Channel and they require you send in the Gamepad and the Console.

We got everything back 2 weeks later with a letter basically saying because they found Homebrew on it and that they were not going to get the repair done. But instead of sending me back my Wii U with how I sent it in, they sent back a paper weight. The Console powers on and mechanically functions but there is absolutely no video output, no warning messages, no flicker of the screen just nothing. At first I thought my wife had things plugged in wrong but when I double checked it sure enough was totally bricked.

So yeah that's my story and warning not to be careless like I was if you ever send it in for repair. Heck they still might of detected the HBC even if I removed it so I'm not really sure. I was a little shocked at the outcome. Like I said, they should have at least sent it back the way they got it but instead were A-holes and screwed it up and then sent it back. Nintendo definitely was sending a big FU my way.

I later thought that the only non-malicious thing would have been that they tried to repair it via software and the Homebrew screwed it up??? But I highly doubt it, and after all, remember that the issue was that the gamepad screen was messed up. The console was fine.

Well I'm still a fan of Nintendo but just a little less now. I plan to go buy a White Wii U but will probably no longer buy 3rd party titles like Just Dance 4 or Skylanders for Wii U and instead get those for Xbox. My HBC Wii died last year and just haven't had a chance to look for another Wii.

I had an issue with my WiiU, disk would not read, and All wii discs would reject, my wiiU was homebrewed also, but i reformatted it and sent it in for repairs, then they found that the drive had some small junk that was affecting the reading of discs. They fixed it, but the point I'm trying to make is that I had forgotten my sd card in console, and it had the homebrew apps on it lucky me they still fixed it on wararnty, I also doubt Nintendo would willingly try to sabotable a unit as mentioned by others on here.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess that that is still better than them sending it back with a letter stating that they were going to sue you do to pirated software being on the machine.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is very weird. I assume it was an accident, either on Nintendo's end or somewhere in shipping. That, or some default diagnostics program they may run on each device that they get fucked up. I highly doubt someone was like "yeah well fuck this guy" though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think Ninty would ever brick a console.
As been said before, there's prolly something loose internally.
But I don't think it's a plug, prolly some component got knocked off or a trace got scraped.

eegor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a copy of the letter they sent. I do plan to open it up just in case something did "come loose", but packing was pretty good going out and coming back. I know that it was working when they got it hence they saw the HBC channel. And when they sent it back it was wrapped in bubble wrap and in styro peanuts so I highly doubt it happened during shipping. Plus when you read the letter it makes reference that the only option is to just purchase a new system. That's b.s. because the original option would have just been to get a replacement gamepad. In any event I will open it up and see if something just came loose.

There was no pirated software installed. Just HBC. I didn't even have the SD card in there.

6qjhvd.jpg

eegor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is very weird. I assume it was an accident, either on Nintendo's end or somewhere in shipping. That, or some default diagnostics program they may run on each device that they get fucked up. I highly doubt someone was like "yeah well fuck this guy" though.
Yeah I hope not. That would really be screwed up. I guess I will never know but what you're saying about like some diagnostic software, is the only answer I'd be willing to accept without thinking they were being a bunch of douche bags. I know we mod at our own risks.. ;)

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened many times to people.
The most stupidest thing i seen from my friend is:

Simply connect a normal Wii Remote ( if you have one ) and corrupt your vWii Nand in the worst way possible. Since their diagnostic disc cannot verify the nand as it's corrupted, then they will repair your vWii NAND ( There's a Warrenty Law loophole that forces the company to repair all damages ) and restore anything else.

He actually did it, and it worked. It's very stupid and don't do that for christ's sakes. I'm not suggesting this! :O

eegor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened many times to people.
The most stupidest thing i seen from my friend is:

He actually did it, and it worked. It's very stupid and don't do that for christ's sakes. I'm not suggesting this! :O

HAHA..this is totally unrelated but this reminded me of the time when I was a kid. My cousin and I spilled drops of yellow paint on his blue carpet. He FREAKED out because his dad was going to be pissed! We tried to clean it and it didn't work you could still see the yellow. So I came up with a better idea. Get me some blue paint and we'll paint over the spots and match the carpet. HA HA it worked. His dad thought they were just some water stains. Fixing a mischievous act with another one. LOL!

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you could get a list of the alternative repair centers and see if they could repair it for you. They might not be as strict as Nintendo themselves.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why they would intentionally brick it but it is very possible that you were unlucky to get an asshole for a tech or someone having a bad day. That said I still don't see why Nintendo would need you to send in both the console and the gamepad when only the gamepad was malfunctioning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Probably something just came loose, either by their negligence in re-assembling the system, by accident or during shipping. They hooked the console up to servicing equipment, saw what's up, closed it back up and sent it back as-is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi