• Thread starter Deleted-351540
  • Start date
  • Views 18,602
  • Replies 21
D

Deleted-351540

Cross posted on NicoBlog forums.

Here is what I have:

PSP 3000 that I modded originally back on 5.00 M33. It ran that for years and sat in my desk drawer for years until I found it again and decided to update the thing. I booted the device (being a 3000, it booted to OFW) and updated it over WiFi. That went just fine and it updated me to 6.61 OFW. So I looked around for 6.61 CFW and came up with PRO-C. It installed just fine and even came with a nifty enabler after a reboot! I was very pleased.

All my emulators worked just fine. I didn't notice anything wrong for a few days. It wasn't until I decided to play a PSX game (Intelligent Qube) that I noticed an issue. It never showed the PSx logo, it just booted into a menu that provided the following:

- Quit Game
- Switch Disks 1 2 3 4 (Only "1" was selectable)
- Controller Settings
- Memory Card Utility (Blanked out)
- Other Settings
- Software Manual
- Reset Game

Here is a video of exactly what happens. It is not my video and was posted in the thread in August. However, it is exactly what is happening.

hxxps://ttt.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLtlCW ... e=youtu.be

(I cant post links yet, so please remove the hxxps and replace it with https, and ttt with www!)

Remembering using PSX2PSP many years ago, I remembered that this menu was used to swap disks in multi-disk games. However the problem is that this is not a multi-disk game. It gets worse! It will not let me make any selection. Only the up/down and volume up/down appear to work. I was left with two options: hold power until it shuts off or pull the battery.

So I pulled the battery and rebooted the device to OFW and used the enabler to reboot to CFW. I then tried ALL my PSX games and every single one of them did this. Odd. Time to do some digging.

First thing I did was try Popsloader. This has become immensely harder without zload. But I managed to get it configured and working properly. It didn't help at all. I literally tried multiple pops on multiple different PSX eboots and every time it booted to this menu.

So, I started looking into the VSH menu. Unfortunately, 6.61 PRO-C apparently didn't come with a VSH menu because I couldn't make it work. No amount of pushing/holding select would make it come up. Getting pretty frustrated and blaming most of this on bad CFW, I looked into alternative 6.61 CFW. I found 6.61 LME-3.2. That installed without a hitch.

While I was tinkering, I just went ahead and reconfigured Popsloader. Worked great and I was ready to try a PSX game. I selected a single disk game (Intelligent Qube, again) and used the flash pops. Booted to this infernal menu again. (I'm getting really friggin tired of seeing this menu at this point.) So I rebooted the PSP twice to get into CFW and tried 5.00 pops. Again, that stupid, wretched, godforsaken menu that is now mocking my every molecule. (Can you tell I'm very very angry at this point?)

So, remembering that the whole reason I went to LME-3.2 was because of a broken VSH menu on PRO-C, I rebooted twice to get back into CFW. (This is getting tedious lol.) I pushed Select and got nothing. Are you friggin kidding me?! No #*%&ing VSH menu on this CFW either?! Got frustrated and just slid the power slider to hibernate the machine. Walk away, Bob, before you crush this stupid piece of silicon.

Came back to it about an hour later and turned it back on. HOLY CRAP! A VSH MENU! Well, it shows up anyway. I cant select anything. Literally. I cant even move to highlight anything. Basically the thing is locked. But wait! I plugged in the USB cable and sure enough, the XMB automatically went to "USB Connection" behind the VSH menu. Nothing will get rid of the menu at this point and I have to reboot the device.

Ok, while all this was going on I was Googling furiously looking for an answer. If firmware isn't causing it, and pops aren't causing it, then it MUST be a whole MS Duo card FULL of corrupted EBOOT files, right? So I came to this lovely site and snagged a copy of Intelligent Qube. (I seriously want to play this game, and thank you for providing copies to games I have on my PS1 but don't want to hook up to play!) This has to be a clean copy, right?! Well, I still think your copy is clean, however it STILL booted to that menu of the devil. Devil menu, thats what I'm going to call it.

Can someone please give me a hand before I smash this unit and buy another one? I've been out of the PSP modding loop for many years and I know very little about what is going on. But I promise that if I cannot get past this Devil menu, I will smash this possessed PSP. (Please dont use that as a reason to NOT help lol. I'd like to figure this out. Its driving me bonkers.)

Many thanks,

bobdamnit

D

Deleted-351540

No answers. That sucks. Oh well. I picked up a PSP 1001 with OFW 5.03 and a 32Gb microSD card with MS Duo converter for a whopping $40. I intend to make an explosive device and blow the PSP 3001 to crap. I intend on filming it and putting it on Youtube. Might link it here for your entertainment.

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow that's alot of effort. The 3XXX Series run PSX fine. I have around 15 of them at the moment (for customers) and I have them all on 6.61 Pro-C2 with no issues playing PSX games.

Where did you get the eboots from? Some sites have some that don't work at all.

I'll upload the correct files for you to install 6.61 Pro-C2 if you want, just let me know. It takes literally 1-2mins to run everything you need.

D

Deleted-351540

Wow that's alot of effort. The 3XXX Series run PSX fine. I have around 15 of them at the moment (for customers) and I have them all on 6.61 Pro-C2 with no issues playing PSX games.

Where did you get the eboots from? Some sites have some that don't work at all.

I'll upload the correct files for you to install 6.61 Pro-C2 if you want, just let me know. It takes literally 1-2mins to run everything you need.
I was running 6.61 Pro-C2 and couldn't get a VSH menu or make it play PSx games.

I got the eboots from various sources. One from <snip>, a few from other sites that no longer exist. Most I converted long ago with PSX2PSP 1.4. None have worked.

I'm leaning towards this being a plugin issue. I'm going to try removing the seplugins folder and seeing if that helps. If not, I'm going to try downgrading to 6.60 Pro-C fix3 and starting from there.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you updated one how it goes.

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Don't name sites -rp

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was running 6.61 Pro-C2 and couldn't get a VSH menu or make it play PSx games.

I got the eboots from various sources. One from Nicoblog, a few from other sites that no longer exist. Most I converted long ago with PSX2PSP 1.4. None have worked.

I'm leaning towards this being a plugin issue. I'm going to try removing the seplugins folder and seeing if that helps. If not, I'm going to try downgrading to 6.60 Pro-C fix3 and starting from there.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep you updated one how it goes.

Try this, i've added the right seplugin files + the latest 6.61 update + Pro C2 files.

1) Wipe your SD completely first.

2) Copy the folders in the zip to your root of the SD

3) Next run the 6.61 update

4) Finally run the Pro Update.

http://www.evolutionretro.com/uploads/PSP661.zip

Should work perfectly as I just did the above to a psp 3000 sitting in front of me :-)

Last edited by falken,
D

Deleted-351540

Try this, i've added the right seplugin files + the latest 6.61 update + Pro C2 files.

1) Wipe your SD completely first.

2) Copy the folders in the zip to your root of the SD

3) Next run the 6.61 update

4) Finally run the Pro Update.

http://www.evolutionretro.com/uploads/PSP661.zip

Should work perfectly as I just did the above to a psp 3000 sitting in front of me :-)
Just tried that. Here is exactly what I did:

- Used XMB to format the MS Duo card
- Extracted PSP661.zip to the desktop
- Copied extracted contents to MS Duo card, overwriting original PSP folder
- Attempted to run 6.61 update (Failed, already running 6.61 OFW if not booted with CFW enabler)
- Used 6.61 Pro-C2 installer to reinstall 6.61 Pro-C2 CFW
- Rebooted to CFW
- Copied over NesterJ + a few ROM's
- Copied over a PSx single disk eboot (Resident Evil, made by me)
- Copied over a multi-disk eboot (FF IX, again, made by me)

(Both of these eboots worked flawlessly BEFORE I updated to 6.61 OFW/CFW)

I tried NesterJ to play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Worked great.

Tried to load Resident Evil. Got that stupid menu again. One difference: it didn't have the option to select a disk.

Tried to load FF IX multi-disk eboot. Retarded menu again, option to change disk (cannot select any disk)

Again, I cannot select anything while in this menu. The only thing that works is to pull the battery. I can increase/decrease the volume (YAY!!!). I guess this means plugins aren't the problem.

Guess I'm downgrading to 6.60, because I just don't know what else to try. :(

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly sounds like you have dodgy eboots that aren't working. I've done the above process to at least 20 PSP's (For customers) in the last month and never come across that issue. I have eboots of the entire PSX library and haven't seen that issue happen.

Go to emuparadise and then ROMs, ISOs, & Games then under Handhelds/Cellphones then look for Sony PSP eBoots (PSX2PSP eBoots)

Generally those all work perfectly, I've come across the odd one that didn't but it's pretty rare. The Resident evil games deff work, was playing one earlier!

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats exactly where I got one of the copies of Intelligent Qube that I tried originally. I also have a copy of Intelligent Qube from Nicoblog (This one hxxp://nicoblog.org/psp/eboot/kurushi-final-mental-blocks-eur-psn/) and it does the same thing. I highly doubt 3 different copies of the same game are all corrupt.

I'm going through the downgrade process now, and if this doesn't work I'm calling it quits. This PSP is getting blown to hell and back.

What memory card are you using by the way?

D

Deleted-351540

I am using the same memory card that came with it. Its a 8Gb SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo. (Non Magic Gate)

I thought the same thing and tried a Sony 2Gb Pro Duo (Magic Gate) with a single disk eboot (RE, again) and got the same results.

It gets weirder. I just downgraded to 6.60 OFW using the downgrader. That went great and installing 6.60 Pro-C fix 3 worked awesomely too. Guess what... I get that same menu again.

However, I did find out that if you remove the memory card it brings up the option to quit the game. That at least saves me the time of pulling the battery and rebooting twice to get into CFW.

At this point, I'm done. This PSP is going to meet a 3 1/2 inch 12ga shotgun slug. I have a replacement coming on Thursday. I'd consider selling it, but its not worth fixing the broken UMD reader and without being able to play PSx games, I see no reason to keep it. I haven't even checked if it would play an actual PSP ISO, I've been too busy trying to fix the PSx eboot issue.

The only thing I can come up with is something internally is corrupted. (PSx emulator, maybe?) I have no idea how to test this, or even how to fix it if that is the case. And, like I said, I have a replacement on the way in a few days. So, goodbye possessed PSP. (I will be salvaging some items from it. Buttons, battery, and joystick.)

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am using the same memory card that came with it. Its a 8Gb SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo. (Non Magic Gate)

I thought the same thing and tried a Sony 2Gb Pro Duo (Magic Gate) with a single disk eboot (RE, again) and got the same results.

It gets weirder. I just downgraded to 6.60 OFW using the downgrader. That went great and installing 6.60 Pro-C fix 3 worked awesomely too. Guess what... I get that same menu again.

However, I did find out that if you remove the memory card it brings up the option to quit the game. That at least saves me the time of pulling the battery and rebooting twice to get into CFW.

At this point, I'm done. This PSP is going to meet a 3 1/2 inch 12ga shotgun slug. I have a replacement coming on Thursday. I'd consider selling it, but its not worth fixing the broken UMD reader and without being able to play PSx games, I see no reason to keep it. I haven't even checked if it would play an actual PSP ISO, I've been too busy trying to fix the PSx eboot issue.

The only thing I can come up with is something internally is corrupted. (PSx emulator, maybe?) I have no idea how to test this, or even how to fix it if that is the case. And, like I said, I have a replacement on the way in a few days. So, goodbye possessed PSP. (I will be salvaging some items from it. Buttons, battery, and joystick.)

That's so bizarre! Wish I could get my hands on it, love a good challenge! :D

D

Deleted-351540

Sent, man. Hope you're willing, as I made it pretty worthwhile. Just keep me updated on whether you can make the motherfu&$#% work.

D

Deleted-351540

For those interested, here is what is happening in picture format:

I select any PSx eboot:

LV5BZRG.jpg

Next I see the health warning screen:

eO7fzEL.jpg

After that, I see this stupid, retarded, ignorant menu:

12fay2L.jpg

Finally, if I pull the memory card, I can get this screen:

QIeohCA.jpg

Here is my PSP running CFW 6.60 Pro-C fix 3:

ORamQfv.jpg

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-351540

PSP 1001 came today. Its mint. Not a scratch on the damn thing. It shipped with 6.31 OFW, so I updated it to 6.61 and ran Pro-C2, followed by CIPL_Flasher. CFW is installed and permanent. Best part, its played EVERY SINGLE PSX EBOOT I'VE THROWN AT IT!

I'm happy, and that 3001 can go burn in hell.

D

Deleted-236924

The 1000 is nice, my only issue with it is that the d-pad is generally pretty crummy, but that can be fixed with a small hardware mod. Just requires opening it up and sticking things under the d-pad to push it up and make it stick out more. I don't know if you know what I'm talking about but those sticky rubber bands work really well for this. Not entirely sure what it is, some kind of glue that hardens and becomes rubbery and elastic when it dries perhaps.
Anyway I had one or two of those laying around and cut a few squares from them, opened up my PSP, took out the D-Pad, and put two of those under each arrow, put everything back together, and it works really well now. D-Pad sticks out a lot more which makes it far easier and a lot more comfortable to use, and since the material I used is squishy, it's perfect. Doesn't change the feel of the d-pad at all aside from making it a whole lot more comfortable.

Reactions: cvskid
D

Deleted-351540

I'll definitely look into that, because the d-pad is very uncomfortable to use for a long period of time.

Can anyone recommend an extended battery? I was considering getting a USB to PSP DC charge cable and a power brick for extended play. Is this a bad idea?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll definitely look into that, because the d-pad is very uncomfortable to use for a long period of time.

Can anyone recommend an extended battery? I was considering getting a USB to PSP DC charge cable and a power brick for extended play. Is this a bad idea?
Good luck trying to find an extended battery less then $100 dollars.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-351540

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'm going to buy one of those power packs for phones and use that to power the device while I swap internal batteries. Then use the pack to charge the dead battery. It's cumbersome, but cheap.

D

Deleted-351540

Power pack purchased, USB/DC 5v adapter cord purchased, both received. Works amazingly well. I bought a 5,000 mAh pack, so it gives me quite a bit of playtime.

I also purchased one of those MS Duo adapters that take two Micro SD cards. I have two 32Gb class 10 cards sitting here doing nothing, so I tossed them inside and sure enough the PSP picked it up as a single 64Gb MS Duo card. So now I have hours of playtime and more storage than I know what to do with lol.

I did take Ammako's advice and put some extra rubber pads under the D-Pad buttons. Some rubber cement and innertube rubber patches cut to fit worked amazingly well and raised the buttons quite a bit. This makes playing for extended periods much more comfortable. It had the unwanted addition of making it significantly harder to press multiple directions at the same time (up/left, down/left, etc...) but that actually makes certain games MUCH easier to play and some just slightly harder, so its a mod I'm willing to live with for now.

Guess now I can not be bored for a few hours while on a road trip. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended