Hardware Can you record wii u gameplay with a pc ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you know of an HD usb capture card ?
I'm not using any myself so I'm afraid I won't be able to pick a good one for you, but prepare for at least a $90 expense, whether you pick a HDMI or Component one. Google around for reviews, I'm sure you'll find something. That, or you can use a PCI/PCIe one, but that's far less convenient since it requires a desktop computer close to your system.

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not using any myself so I'm afraid I won't be able to pick a good one for you, but prepare for at least a $90 expense, whether you pick a HDMI or Component one. Google around for reviews, I'm sure you'll find something. That, or you can use a PCI/PCIe one, but that's far less convenient since it requires a desktop computer close to your system.
Actually my computer is right next to my console, could you explain more about this PCI/PCIe connection?

Also thank you for helping me figure this out; I appreciate it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually my computer is right next to my console, could you explain more about this PCI/PCIe connection?

Well, in essence, you get one of these (or an equivalent, I'm just showing you a random one for demonstration purposes), jam it into a free PCIe slot on your motherboard, connect your system to the setup using HDMI, Component or DVI (whichever you fancy) and capture the footage with the software provided. In fact, you can hook up the system to your PC and then your PC to your TV to preserve the "feels" while playing. That's really all there is to it - not a whole lot of philosophy. ;) Unfortunately the higher the resolution the higher the price, so for an HD-compatible one you will have to dish out $90 or more, but they're considerably cheaper than full capture boxes and they do the job just as well.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
If I cared about graphics I would just play all my Wii games on my PC with the Dolphin emulator....

You need a VERY POWERFUL($$$$) PC tu run Dolphin at 1080p with all the filters and stuff.
With teh Wii U you just need a Wii U.

And again this is not about the graphics is about the quality. With 480p you're downgrading the game and the console which is meant to be played at 1080p.

You didn't understand so let me explain it.

Wind Waker released in 2002 (first game, for the gamecube)
Wind Waker HD released in 2013 (second game (remake), for the Wii U)

You dont understand dude.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I actually do own a monitor with dual HDMI ports.

Oh and the GTX 580 is like a rather high end 500 dollar graphics card. I'm pretty sure it could handle the rendering just fine.

I'd rather have it in the highest quality, it only has one HDMI port though...could I still somehow get it in high quality ? Oh and how would I transfer my recording over to my pc ?

There you have it Yepi69 & LegendAssassinF

http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definition-Analog-Capture-MTVHDDVRR/dp/B002SQE1O0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380417240&sr=8-4&keywords=avermedia

http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-Broadcaster-capture-1080p60-Component/dp/B00DD0QWPG/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C98...UTF8&qid=1380417240&sr=8-3&keywords=avermedia

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The GTX 580 is not a high end GPU by today's GPUs, it cost around 200$ lol unless you mean 680? Rendering is your CPU and RAM btw since it you have a low spec computer it could take hours to render 1080p unless you are planning on just not editing it then you will spend a lot of time just waiting for videos to render.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hauppauge HD PVR 2. It does HDMI.

I don't know if the Wii U uses HDCP or not, but it definitely doesn't when in vWii mode at least. You could record it at 1080p. Yes, it's USB, but it works fine, I record stuff in 1080p all the time.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually,Component cables CAN do 1080p. The PS3,360, and Wii U all allow 1080p over Component and most 1080p TV's are happy to display it.

Yeah, I can confirm this.

It breaks spec though. Component cables are analog, not digital, and the specifications for them say up to 720p or 1080i.

Somewhere along the line someone realized you could shove a 1080p signal in there and it would look fine, so consoles started rolling out updates that allowed it (I can confirm that the Xbox 360 did NOT allow this at first)

Not all TVs support it, nor are they required to, because it's outside the component specification. I have a Panasonic Viera from 2009 and it doesn't work with 1080p component - hence why I use HDMI.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can. Here's my Wii U footage when I had a Hauppauge HD PVR with component.

(Click 720p. HDMI is crisper IMO but I only had component input.)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A component cable is no different than a composite cable, just you use two more of them. I've actually used multiple sets of composite cables to connect component devices to TV's, works fine. Only problem is you can't do that with consoles since they don't have standard output ports for anything but HDMI.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Component cable can do 1080p, this depends on the TV itself and it is not part of the specification.

Luckily WIi U does not use HDCP, so a HDMI capture card is all you need to record gameplay. HDMI port on GPU is for video out, not video in. You must have a capture card.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HDMI>>All

HDMI cables are sooo cheap now same with HDTVs

Just for giggles
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/git_crt_emulation/
Various "deficits" of CRT and analogue transfer methods have been (ab)used over the years by many a game dev to various ends.

Anyway I have nothing of great note to add at this point and I am starting to wonder if there is a video equivalent of audiophools so I will leave it alone for the time being.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily WIi U does not use HDCP, so a HDMI capture card is all you need to record gameplay.

Sadly, it does. But not for games. If you start up Netflix you get greeted by an ugly red screen when using a capture device. HDCP can go die in hell already, seriously they make it impossible for me to record HD movies :gun:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night