• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 7,011
  • Replies 25

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
I've fixed it for you. I've used fwtool to flash my DSi a number of times now and I've not bricked.

Please don't mess with dodgy forks of fwTool, they are dangerous in the extreme and not bricking is largely a matter of good fortune. The more you do this the more likely it is you *will* brick.

I'm working on safety features for fwTool in a private repository now mainly because of people doing stupid things with the public code because they're too impatient to wait for things to be done right.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no, they are not! not following the exact procedures described here WILL cause trouble

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-dsi-modding-help-thread-and-guide.481118/

And following the exact procedures there still has the potential to cause trouble. You've *way* jumped the gun on making a guide.

Reactions: siamese

siamese

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm working on safety features for fwTool in a private repository now mainly because of people doing stupid things with the public code because they're too impatient to wait for things to be done right.

Thanks a lot for that! :bow: Safety first

The hype created with the July 2nd 2017 post of this exploit:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/announcing-rocketlauncher-the-first-exploit-with-unlocked-arm7.476288/

gave me the perfect excuse to clean my DSi up and experiment NAND dumping with ugopwn, downgrade guides, no$gba NAND testing and DsiWare backup installing just to have a "1.4U" system. Didnt know how dangerous it was, by now i´ve flashed my nand 3 times "succesfully", maybe if i knew before i would still have a 1.45U Dsi Xl but suddenly the scene grew and the tide was high so i took the chance.

Now the waters have calmed down and it seems RocketLauncher an Hiya CFW are farther than I thought and they were, there was no need to hurry that much.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't mess with dodgy forks of fwTool, they are dangerous in the extreme and not bricking is largely a matter of good fortune. The more you do this the more likely it is you *will* brick.

Is there a specific problem with them? Or just that the likelihood that I'll do something stupid goes up the more times I run it? I automated the process of encrypting the nand, creating a version for no$gba and creating the version for the sd card. So I took the human error out of the equation.

Now the waters have calmed down and it seems RocketLauncher an Hiya CFW are farther than I thought and they were, there was no need to hurry that much.

I'm in the same position as you, but I don't regret it. I had sudokuhax and a few bits of home brew on my DSi from back in the day and it was interesting putting on some of the other exploits. I bought an NTR cart especially, which I could have waited for (hopefully it will be compatible).

I learnt a lot in the process & it persuaded me to reinstall devkitpro again. I'm even tempted to get a cheap DSi XL and try a hardmod on it.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: siamese

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a specific problem with them? Or just that the likelihood that I'll do something stupid goes up the more times I run it? I automated the process of encrypting the nand, creating a version for no$gba and creating the version for the sd card. So I took the human error out of the equation.

There's an issue with writing to NAND with the older code that occasionally causes the system to lock. It's purely a matter of luck whether or not you hit it. This is one of the reasons why the original fwTool has no ability to write and it seemed more prudent to work on accessing the nand filesystem using the built in hardware encryption.

I'm in the same position as you, but I don't regret it. I had sudokuhax and a few bits of home brew on my DSi from back in the day and it was interesting putting on some of the other exploits. I bought an NTR cart especially, which I could have waited for (hopefully it will be compatible).

I learnt a lot in the process & it persuaded me to reinstall devkitpro again. I'm even tempted to get a cheap DSi XL and try a hardmod on it.

You reinstalled devkitARM and associated libraries. devkitPro produces and maintains these tools & libraries. You no more install devkitPro than you install Microsoft or Adobe.

A hardmod probably isn't necessary but of course if you want to practice soldering skills then don't let that stop you.

It's probably worth mentioning that sudokuhax (or indeed any of the DSiWare hax) already gives you all the access you really need for homebrew

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr