PS1/2 Can you burn psone games in a DVD?

AlexTCGPro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello!
I looked in the forums and the only thing I found about this was in a topic created way back in 2007 and we didn't have the amazing pops emulator, the answer then was that "No, the ps2 won't load the disc" but I want to know if now it could be possible to burn a couple of psone games togheter with pops in a dvd and play like that instead of having to use an usb drive (I know both the snes and genesis emulators can be burned directly in a dvd and be played without the need of any booter if you have a chiped ps2 which I do).

I'm asking this cause I had a lot of trouble with pops running on a pendrive, Castlevania Symphony of the Night just crashes randomly and Klonoa just freezes after the first level, I didn't want to try more games cause of this.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't do this and likely never will. However you can burn PS1 games on a DVD and play them on a PC, but you can't burn them and expect to play on a PS2.

AlexTCGPro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
You can't do this and likely never will. However you can burn PS1 games on a DVD and play them on a PC, but you can't burn them and expect to play on a PS2.
Not even with pops inside the dvd too? I know you can burn Snes Station with a couple of roms in a dvd and the ps2 will read it without problem

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could always be wrong but after googling I found no evidence that allowed you to do this. You would be better off playing on a PC, or a modded PS3 (which allows you to play games off the HDD).

AlexTCGPro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Confirmed, it is possible!, you just need to create a text file and rename it SYSTEM.CNF and in there you put:

Code:
BOOT2 = cdrom0:\BOOT.ELF;1
VER = B.20
VMODE = NTSC

Then you take uLauncher and pops with the games, burn all that in a dvd... and there!, you now have a psone multidisc running on your ps2!

I know a disc is way faster than the usb the ps2 has so perhaps a lot of games will work better.

AlexTCGPro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
After some testing I can confirm that yes, it does work pretty good but test everything in a usb before burning the dvd just in case, I already wasted two dvds because I forgot about the modes haha

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably not helpful, but there were devices made for the original [larger model] PS1 to play back up DVDs. Mine was called the "game enhancer"
cartridge_1.jpg

AlexTCGPro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It didn't occur to me but since you cannot set the path for the emulator to use you are unable to save your progress and the ulauncher will not open the games if they are not converted to .elf

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to know but they are rare to find and probably not compatible with a ps2.
No Ps2s had a different mod if I remember correctly, where you would get the top cut so you could start a legit game, then remove and insert your burned DVD. Guess I should have said PS1 burned to a CD back up lol. The device pluged into a serial port on the fat ps1..the newer white PsOne didn't work or PS2s.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ha..found a thread on GBA temp with a pic that will link. Again -- totally understand this isn't what you're trying to do, and I'm probably just wasting space posting lol.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/am-i-burning-my-ps1-backups-wrong.304989/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse