Homebrew can we watch .mp4/avi/mkv in wii u?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd suspect he's got y-mod when he's not supposed to or vice versa. afaik you do need y-mod for that sort of folder structure.
Yes he definitely needs ymod or to move all the files into the install folder as the normal version of wupinstaller can't read from another folder inside the install folder.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of Internet Browser, I can already open web links in the Internet Browser, including for example, an .mp4 link, from an rpx app. I may start my project using this method to launch the media links, until I can get a good media player coded.

If anyone wants to try out the Browser Test app, here is a link -
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lfbst3k936jqy3a/Browser_Test.7z

This is an installable channel on your sysNAND or USB, but I advise only installing to USB to be safe. It of course can only be installed or launched if you have sig patching enabled.

Have you considered a port of Movian? It's the Media Player the PS3 uses, I dont know how well it would work on WiiU tho.? Or do you want to code your own?

https://movian.tv/projects/movian

Last edited by ploggy,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you considered a port of Movian? It's the Media Player the PS3 uses, I dont know how well it would work on WiiU tho.? Or do you want to code your own?

https://movian.tv/projects/movian
I don't know what I will do yet for sure. My goal is probably higher than I may have time for, we'll see. What I really want to accomplish, is make something like a PLEX app for Wii U, since using the web interface with PLEX sucks so bad.

I already have PLEX on so many other things, I don't really need it on Wii U, but it would be "fun" to make for other people that may only have the Wii U.

Reactions: lordelan

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what I will do yet for sure. My goal is probably higher than I may have time for, we'll see. What I really want to accomplish, is make something like a PLEX app for Wii U, since using the web interface with PLEX sucks so bad.

I already have PLEX on so many other things, I don't really need it on Wii U, but it would be "fun" to make for other people that may only have the Wii U.
I'm more of a Kodi guy myself but know that would be a big ask to port to the WiiU now, although I did notice there was a plex addon released for Kodi recently so there is that.

Movian has the ability to use plugins maybe you could get it running on the WiiU then make a plex plugin for it ;)

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all,
I have created now a html-file, which loads a link from a textfile (textfile.txt) and redirects to this link.

So you can browse with your mobile phone or pc e.g. to a video, copy URL into textfile.txt and load from the wiiu the wiiu-link-forwarder.html (hosted from smartphone or pc).

Tested with android and works fine for me.

My next idea was to create an android app which on start directly saves clipboard to "textfile.txt" and hosts "wiiu-link-forwarder.html" with static adress (so that this link can be saved in wiiu-favorites), but unfortunately I have no clue how to make this. I am only able to program in c/c++/c# unfortumately. I hope thos is anyhow helpful for the one or the other and maybe someone can use it for an other project.
Greetz

This might be useful thill then: you can selfhost movies / links to videos from mobile phone or PC and watch it in web browser.

Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/file-streaming.428943/#post-6445709

Last edited by Edizius,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a pretty horiffic reaction from the IRC when I mentioned the possibility. Apparently it doesn't handle modern files very well.
If used in conjunction with something like PLEX, it would still work, because the files would be transcoded to work on the fly. Playing files directly from SD card or USB is not even practical, and only a streaming app is worth investing time into it.

Wishi

Rareware Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A whole year later , is there a media player on Wii u ? Or should I enjoy fma on Netflix :9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded