Gaming Can Steam detect Pirated games/isos?

I_AM_BIB

The One and Only BiB
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I connect my games to steam (pirated ones), I've heard that they can detect the pirated games, but if I have downloaded it using an ISO for the game, can they still detect it's a pirate copy?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As far as I'm aware they're perfectly able to detect pirated copies, but to my knowledge they also haven't done anything about it for quite some time.

Even so, I wouldn't recommend having Steam running whilst playing such games.

Reactions: Deleted User

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...why do you want to connect your pirated games to Steam?

Cracks mean no actual Steam functionality... so...

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
If they can they haven't historically done anything about it. As long as you aren't using a crack that pretends to be a demo to enable online etc. you should be golden.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As mentioned, they can detect pirated copies of games. They generally don't care so long as its not trying to use any steam services (e.g player matching in L4D). You can link steam to your pirated games, but the only advantage that gets you will be the steam overlay. In steam, it'll show up as a "non-steam app".

As for the ways to "hack/pirate" steam games... I don't know anything.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes they can, Steam regularly scans you system and produces a list of installed software, that can or cannot be sent to Valve, depending on if you approve the dialogue. I forgot where is in the settings, but you actually view your software information through Steam.

However, they're not actually going to do anything about pirated games. They're definitely not going to ban your account as that would make no sense. Take away people's method of obtaining legally bought games? That'll just cause people to turn to more piracy. In fact, Gabe Newell himself said that he doesn't mind piracy.

I just add shortcuts to my pirated legally owned games. So everyone can know what I'm playing :P

I actually know a lot of people who do this and never heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing so.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I connect my games to steam (pirated ones), I've heard that they can detect the pirated games, but if I have downloaded it using an ISO for the game, can they still detect it's a pirate copy?
What do you mean by connect? Adding a non-steam game, or using a pirated game like L4D or any other games that uses their servers? Because the former is perfectly safe.

I_AM_BIB

The One and Only BiB
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone.

Well by connect, I meant adding a non-Steam game, but I was just thinking, is there actually any point of adding these games to Steam, i.e achievements?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only real point of adding non-steam games are letting your friends know what you're playing, Steam overlay integration (in most games) aaand having it conveniently in your steam library to clear up desktop/general icon clutter.

Steam will do absolutely nothing about pirated games, I hooked Skyrim and plenty of other 'borrowed' games to my steam and launched them with it, 0 problems ever.

Yay Xfire?

Doesn't Steam ban you from the servers or something?
No wait... that was with cheating only..

Xfire still exists? I know some crappier games tried to force xfire on me before ages ago, but since no one ever used it I never bothered. Thought it died long ago, haven't heard of or seen it in a looong time.

Reactions: Satangel

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xfire still exists? I know some crappier games tried to force xfire on me before ages ago, but since no one ever used it I never bothered. Thought it died long ago, haven't heard of or seen it in a looong time.

Yep, still exists.
It's not widely known since Steam took it's spot.
But Xfire still has regular updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.