Can someone explain whats so special about linux?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,969
  • Replies 81

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
Nimbus said:
QUOTE said:
you have forgotten the most ninja like ...............the most dark one..............the most .............powerful one if you know how to use it .........the one wich is rated 5
ph34r.gif
out of 5
BACKTRACK

Umm...I was talking in terms of day to day practicality, I left out backtrack specifically because it's tailored for a specific purpose.
yeah you have right but i cant stay away from the dark side
tongue.gif

also fedora is a day to day distro even thought i didnt try it ...........also id like to ask you is opens-use is any good compared to ubuntu ?slow ...fast ....more ram less ram ect
smile.gif

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
master00d said:
Nimbus said:
QUOTE said:
you have forgotten the most ninja like ...............the most dark one..............the most .............powerful one if you know how to use it .........the one wich is rated 5
ph34r.gif
out of 5
BACKTRACK

Umm...I was talking in terms of day to day practicality, I left out backtrack specifically because it's tailored for a specific purpose.
yeah you have right but i cant stay away from the dark side
tongue.gif

also fedora is a day to day distro even thought i didnt try it ...........also id like to ask you is opens-use is any good compared to ubuntu ?slow ...fast ....more ram less ram ect
smile.gif

Ubuntu from what I've found running Unity, consumes a bit more ram than OpenSuSE, OpenSuSE I believe uses Gnome2 still, and uses a bit less.

The comparison is irrelivant though, you can make your system consume more of less resources depending on what you run.

For example, I use openbox, I'm currently using 500MB out of 4GB of my RAM, Swap has not been utilized yet.

I personally don't like OpenSuSE that much, never really have for some reason. Ubuntu was great untill I found Arch, which is just awesome.

Oh, speaking of which, the less the Distro installs for you to begin with, the more control you have in terms of installing what you want, and not what you dont want.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
There's nothing particularly special about Linux. Its just the only alternative operating system to Windows available for most PCs (Hackintoshes don't count, they're fiddly). Its free most of the time and compilers etc. are included from the get go making it great for programmers. Its also a standard for game servers etc.

As for the Distro discussion. I've only ever used Ubuntu. Unity is alright but buggy as hell. Since I've got more than enough screen estate I switched back to Gnome and it just works so much better (change desktop mode to "Ubuntu Classic" to get Gnome back)

Lights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's really nothing special about Linux because I've used it and you have to do so much just to install something like you have to go into terminal then type in the code to install the program you've downloaded and it was pretty slow for me too. Also all my games were unplayable with it and AIM and other chat messengers I had were unable to be downloaded and I had to use Meebo, the chat messengers couldn't open up simple file attachments either for some reason but I used Linux a while back so I don't remember. It was the Ubuntu version and I multi-booted my computer to use certain OS's, I had Windows XP/7/Vista/Linux all on one machine and the XP/7/Vista ran perfectly fine and fast.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RAM usage is 99% irrelevant when talking about Linux, because as with files, it also manages resources the correct way. RAM is seen by Linux to be most useful when it is FULL. It makes far more sense this way. When RAM is full, it means that all files in RAM are ready to be accessed nearly instantly, rather than unloading them when they're done with, only to load them back into RAM when they are needed again shortly (Linux runs off the assumption that most files accessed are those that have been accessed recently). When you load a file that isn't in RAM, it can quickly free up a bit of RAM and load it there. Free RAM is wasted RAM. It makes more sense to store a file that could be needed quickly in RAM than to have it empty, when it can easily be emptied if it is needed for something else.

It is much better to compare CPU usage. In this case, the lower, the better. If less CPU is being used by one program, it leaves more for another. CPU can't be reclaimed from another process without killing the process using it. (CPU is of course not used by any program loaded in RAM that is not actually running at that time).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
Someone explain to me why I was never able to find that article, no matter how far I dug or looked for, back when I did use Windows? I looked forever, not once did I find anything on the subject.Their KB site search sucks total ass.

master00d said:
6.no blue screen ....every one that has windows had one of thisKernal Panic says hi.

QUOTE(Wllmrly @ Jun 28 2011, 03:57 PM)
Can someone direct me to a good guide to setting it up?
Linux is not one single thing like Windows is. There many different distros, and unlike Windows multiple distros are kept at the same time by separate people and there's not one perfect choice.

Please read what I linked you to... it answers a lot of questions.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sylar- said:
I think there's really nothing special about Linux because I've used it and you have to do so much just to install something like you have to go into terminal then type in the code to install the program you've downloaded and it was pretty slow for me too. Also all my games were unplayable with it and AIM and other chat messengers I had were unable to be downloaded and I had to use Meebo, the chat messengers couldn't open up simple file attachments either for some reason but I used Linux a while back so I don't remember. It was the Ubuntu version and I multi-booted my computer to use certain OS's, I had Windows XP/7/Vista/Linux all on one machine and the XP/7/Vista ran perfectly fine and fast.
Linux is for some people. It is not for others. People like this person fall into the later category (obviously this is not a bad thing, just trying to make a distinction). If you fall into this category (the fact that you ask what is special about suggests you may), it may not be for you. But you may as well try it, you never know.

For what it's worth, I am a Windows person myself. I tried "Puppy Linux" once, but it didn't work properly with my WiFi card or something (it was years ago, I can't remember) and I never tried another distro because of my ISP's terrible download allowance preventing me from downloading large files like Linux Distro ISOs.

Nimbus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Kernal Panic says hi.

Normally I'd say +$10 for every time I got one of those....

But unfortunently that would only leave me with $40, because it only seems to happen once in a blue moon when I forget to eject/unmount my External Hard drives.

OSX gets them too, they just seem to be less informative and watered down to the "Nothing to panic over" level.

Nimbus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
master00d said:
Rydian said:
master00d said:
6.no blue screen ....every one that has windows had one of this
Kernal Panic says hi.
how many kernel panic do you experienced compared to blue screens ?
like :
nr_of_bluescreen x 0.00001=kernel_panic
is that right ?

When I used Windows, I got at least one every month with the odd few inbetween, I used Windows for two years before I switched to Linux

2x 12 (Months) = 24 + 10 (odd one's in between) = 34

In Linux as I mentioned before, I have only gotten 5 Kernel panics, and those were all of my own accidental doing.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue screen? The only time I ever see a blue screen is when my laptop isn't on the cooling pad (i.e. it's overheating). Windows is great. No reason to use a crappy OS like Linux.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I rarely have BSoDs. I used to have them a bit more frequently, but they have calmed down of late. I think since I upgraded to XP SP3. Anyway, this is largely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jamstruth said:
There's nothing particularly special about Linux. Its just the only alternative operating system to Windows available for most PCs (Hackintoshes don't count, they're fiddly). Its free most of the time and compilers etc. are included from the get go making it great for programmers. Its also a standard for game servers etc.

As for the Distro discussion. I've only ever used Ubuntu. Unity is alright but buggy as hell. Since I've got more than enough screen estate I switched back to Gnome and it just works so much better (change desktop mode to "Ubuntu Classic" to get Gnome back)

The people doing the various flavours of BSD might have something to say about that. Granted that is another unix based system but it does count as a mainstream non linux, non MS, non mac operating system. If we are going to be leaving things out I might say Solaris.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: "least tried"