Gaming Can save files be transferred from physical to digital?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meaning, can I get a cart copy of the game and later switch over to a digital copy without having to start all over. I think someone asked something like this for 3DS once and the answer was no. :(

The answer will probably immensely effect how I get Vita games. Maybe.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think this works fine if you have PS+. You can upload your save to the cloud, and then download it again. Not sure if it works without though, I'm afraid I can't test it.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I need the cloud to do that? If its possible to upload to the cloud then that means the save file is a tangible file meaning I ought to be able to copy it to my memory stick myself.

If Sony lets us that is

Actually I just realized something hilarious, if I wanted to upgrade my memory stick I ought to be able to buy physical versions of all my games transfer my save file over to them and ..

OH MY GOD I just had an idea for a sweet vita accessory. A game cart that is actually a memory stick. Starting the "game" loads up an app that let's you transfer your save data onto it and see what's currently stored on it. Has something like this been made yet?

ResleyZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are almost no 3rd party accessories for the Vita, apart from protection and stuff like that.

Again, I'm not completely sure if it works without PS+, since I don't have any games both digital and physical.

After looking on some other boards, it seems that whenever this question comes up, the answer always is 'You can with PS+.'

You will always need a memory stick, and the save is always stored on there. The PS+ cloud service is optional.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone on another site just told me about this.. It makes no sense though that its only for PS+ subscribers. You only need this when switching memory stick or console, which means you bought something anyway so Sony should offer it for free. Otherwise why would you want it? It doesn't change the experience.. Just something to brag to your friends about I guess? "So yea anyway I was playing PS the other night and obviously I saved to the cloud.."

Whats sad is I know nothing about this feature, at this point I'd be buying ps+ and just hoping it does what I want. However, I'm way too cynical to believe that Sony actually implemented something so useful and even if they did, why they hell isn't it a complimentary feature of the vita? And why isn't this feature advertised? Memory sticks are so expensive they should actually come with ps plus and the packaging should say you can do this.

I need to know these things
- if I get PS plus, can i backup all my saves instantly or do I have to go to each game own and save?
- does it save simultaneously to memory stick and the could or just one or the other? if my plus expires, do I lose all my saves?

Maybe you can answer my questions..

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I'm told you just go to content manager and select upload, and choose files to upload. So its completely manual process apparently. (I assume afterwards you're able to download the files the same way)

Is it possible to buy just 1 month PS plus using psn wallet funds?

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for triple posting but I just wanted to point something out to show where I'm coming from.

When you get your Vita, the system icons by default include PS3 linkup and PS4 remote play.
Many users will never use these features or don't have a PS3 or PS4 (let alone both) and yet these functions not only get their own icons, but the mere fact they got icons suggests they are free. Whereas the memory card transfer is buried in content manager and locked behind a paywall.

The PS3/PS4 functions don't need PS Plus, why not? After all isn't it the name of the game to arbitrarily make things exclusive to Plus subscribers?

Also. Think of the advertising those features get. Someone on Playstation forums complained that Parental Controls gets its own icon instead of just being part of System settings. I can guess why Sony did it this way, they were probably specifically trying to shove the feature in your face. (just in case you were a concerned parent) But if Sony will try to show off things like parental controls, and compatibility for PS3 and PS4 (because of course they want us to buy a PS3 or PS4) in that that case Sony should probably have done this with the ability to backup our save files. (because of course they want us to buy memory sticks... riiight?)

Anyway, someone told me more about this feature, and that you can actually buy PS Plus using funds in your PSN Wallet. So I have to hand it for Sony for at least making this option exist at all. (Though I just recalled the fact that 3DS has a system memory and therefore doesn't even have this problem if my memory serves correctly.)

ResleyZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could always try out the 14 day trial, see if the current games (Kick & Fennick and Rogue Legacy) are your thing, or wait for next month to start for other games. If you like it, and have a PS3 or PS4, I highly recommend subscribing to PS+. If you only want PS+ for the saves, you might want to try if it works by backing up saves with the Content Manager. There aren't any games I both have physical and digital, so I can't test anything regarding this.

Anyways, hopefully this'll answer your questions, and give some more information.

To upload saves to the PS+ cloud, you'll only have to do these steps:
1. Tap Content Manager > [Start]
2. Tap [Online Storage]
3. Tap [Online Storage > PS Vita System] or [PS Vita System > Online Storage]
4. Tap a checkbox to set a checkmark for the saved data you want to copy, and then tap [Copy]

Now, each time you play a new game, you'll have to enable online storage for the save.
The saves will of course stay on your memory stick, and online. I'm not sure if there's a certain time that the Vita uploads the saves, but I always back up saves on my laptop, just to be sure.

You can use your PSN wallet to buy PS+. I use Paypal to add money to my wallet, and then buy the PS+ subscription. The prices (in euro, they are probably the same for USD) are 1 month 6,99, 3 months 14,99 and 12 months 49,99. If your subscription is over, you won't be able to use your PS+ games, and presumably saves. If you renew your subscription, everything is back, even the games.

The reason those PS3 and PS4 applications are their own icons, is probably because Sony wants other people to test it out and see what it is, so users get interested and maybe start using it. No idea though, I don't work for Sony :P
Anyway, I don't think the PS3/PS4 functions need PS+ anyway, like the remote control.

Also, just edit your first post, It might be a huge post, but as long as the text is separated, it's much easier to read.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Using PS+ you can copy the save from cartridge to cloud server and download it back to the digital copy and vice-versa.
This works with every game.

Untested:
In case of games that let you copy the data to the content manager (I think that this happens only with games that write saves on memory card, not on PSV cartridge itself), you can copy the data to your PC, it will be written to a directory similar to this:
APP\<folder_of_your_psn_id>\PCSA00001, there will be a directory savedata.
Back it up in another place, download your digital game, back it up on your PC through content manager, overwriting the previous data, and then, copy your back up of savedata dir back.
Copy the data from PC to Vita.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
to me where it makes sense, is if you have a vita and a vita TV(pstv)

i can move my saves from vita to pstv via the cloud np

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple