Hacking Can i update a game without updating the whole system?

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi!

I have blocked all 5 update urls via my fritz.box. Now i would like to update a game, but i get the message that the switch can't connect to the internet (2137-8035). So if i temporaily enable the urls, can i update only the game? Or will the switch try to update itself first?

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net
dauth-lp1.ndas.srv.nintendo.net
atumn.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
aqua.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
I have some more, but they are afaik for the wii u:
http://receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net:443
http://receive-lp1.er.srv.nintendo.net:443
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
cbvc.nintendo.net

thedetire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If i remember correctly you can update your game without updating your system (though this may have changed in 3.x).
Be sure to turn off automatic updates for your switch in your settings first (Settings > system > Automatic Software updates to off).
Then go to your game you want to update, press + for options then goto software update and then click via the internet.

If it says something about updating your game then you're fine.
BUT if it says you have to update your system first then you're NOT fine. Press cancel.
Please let us know if it's still possible so that others know. Also tell us which firmware you're on. (2.x or 3.x)

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Ok. I have removed them. Now the Switch says that a system update is needed to download the game update. I'm on firmware 3.0.0. So it's not possible atm... :glare:

Reactions: thedetire

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok. I have removed them. Now the Switch says that a system update is needed to download the game update. I'm on firmware 3.0.0. So it's not possible atm... :glare:
You can't use any online services without updating. We are far away from having a kernel exploit or anything like that, and there's no telling what firmwares will be supported when it eventually does release. I don't see a good reason to stay offline for possibly years while you wait for that much-anticipated kernel exploit all the while being unable to play any games that require 3.0.1+. It will severely limit your enjoyment of the Switch.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I know. But that even game updates are affected? I'm surprised that I'm getting fresh news displayed without being forced to update my switch... I don't know if i want to update to 3.0.1. Basically I should because i love online gaming, but if i take a look at the PS3, the lastest firmware are still unhacked. I don't know what it means for the future that the devs doesn't have access to firmware 3.0.1., so i'am not sure if i should update now or not. But you're right, staying on a lower firmware limit my enjoyment of the Switch.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. But that even game updates are affected? I'm surprised that I'm getting fresh news displayed without being forced to update my switch... I don't know if i want to update to 3.0.1. Basically I should because i love online gaming, but if i take a look at the PS3, the lastest firmware are still unhacked. I don't know what it means for the future that the devs doesn't have access to firmware 3.0.1., so i'am not sure if i should update now or not. But you're right, staying on a lower firmware limit my enjoyment of the Switch.
Its really dependent on what other software or hardware you have laying around at this point. If you have a few games like F Zero GX, Mario Kart CTGP, Super Smash bros for Wii, 3DS, Wii U, or GC & a few steam games you can either basically wait it out for the Switch to be hacked, or just update if you don't think you will get any entertainment value out of the games, The furthest draw back as well for most people is that you cannot use online, and this could be a deal breaker for most people to update their switch.

Besides being able to update games, or download DLC effectively. In my opinion updating the Switch right now is really dependent on how much you want to stay offline until someone figures out how to make a spoof device for the Switch, and if you think you will be paying for the online services
If you want to update games though, it may be a little far-fetched but you could use someone else's console to download the update. I'm not sure how well it would work out though :mellow:. But it should just work like usual,

Edit:
Also, quick question. Does FW Version 2.XX allow game update downloads or is it just the latest FW as of now?

Last edited by petethepug,

thedetire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want to update games though, it may be a little far-fetched but you could use someone else's console to download the update. I'm not sure how well it would work out though :mellow:. But it should just work like usual,

Edit:
Also, quick question. Does FW Version 2.XX allow game update downloads or is it just the latest FW as of now?

Um. No you can't download updates from another console to your own (Nintendo is planning to though). Updates are saved on the console not the gamecartridges.
The only exception are pre-installed updates for new games. and no, downloaded updates aren't saved on new gamecartridges either.

And for your question, 3.0 is a forced update for online stuff. so no. System updates are required.

D

Deleted User

Alright thanks.
it appears we finally have a potential work around. Its not for end user, but given how useful the work around would be expect within the next couple of weeks, for a work around. (so far devs only have the ability to use the work around)

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Just looking for a confirmation guys:
I'm on 2.0 FW, and Mario Kart is asking for a game update. It's not possible to download it without updating to the latest fw right?

Reactions: peteruk

rctgamer3

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just looking for a confirmation guys:
I'm on 2.0 FW, and Mario Kart is asking for a game update. It's not possible to download it without updating to the latest fw right?
You might or not be able to download the update without updating, but it won't let you play online with anyway without updating to 3.0.1.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if you could update the game you still wouldn't be able to play online without being on the latest firmware.
I think you shouldn't worry too much about it for now, we are a long way away from having anything like a kernel exploit, we might have some basic homebrew sooner, but nothing that would be worth staying on an old firmware for, and we likely won't have firmware spoofing until after a kernel exploit is released.
If you don't mind basically being limited to offline and not being able to download/update games and DLC or play online, stay on an old firmware.
If you want to play online or download games and DLC, then you might want to update so that you can enjoy the Switch fully.
Note that on Wii U, iosuhax only works on 5.5.0/5.5.1, even though we had homebrew on older versions.
So there's no telling what firmware versions a kernel exploit will work on when one is eventually released, of course by staying on older firmware you will have the option of updating to whatever firmware is required by using a game cart, assuming one exists that contains the right firmware.

Whatever you decide, note that sooner or later (likely not more than a few months away), games will start requiring 3.0.1 just to work. Super Mario Odyssey is still a couple of months away, depending on when they start mass producing the carts, it's possible that it could require 3.0.1 and then you'll be forced to update anyway if you want to play that game or any newer games.

You can hold off on updating for now, but it will only become more and more annoying and prevent you from enjoying the Switch more and more as games come out that require newer firmware, and you run out of games to play. I think if you don't have a burning need to play online or download games/DLC right now, you might be fine holding off on updating for a while, but it will be something that you'll constantly have to reevaluate whether it's really worth it basically staying offline only.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.