Hacking Can I partially update SysNAND from 9.0 and skip the new ARM9 security feature of 11.X?

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen a few references to partially updating by somehow selecting bits of official 3DS firmware. Is there a guide for doing this? I want to be at a stage where I can play all the newest real game carts on SysNAND, but can also boot into EmuNAND and have the option to go back to FW 9.0 SysNAND if I want to. Maybe that's asking too much. At the moment I am still on 9.0 which won't let me play the newest games.

Cheers

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not really, you can't mix a pre-11.0 kernel with newer system software

But your ultimate problem is easily solved by switching to boot9strap and a modern CFW (actually, the problem was solved over a year ago in the arm9loaderhax days) -- you end up with a "permanent" mod that allows for arm9 access regardless of whatever (if any!) sysnand operating system version you have...

...in fact, there are no more real advantages to keeping an old version around, though you are still able to have one (or four) emunands if you really want them :)

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not really, you can't mix a pre-11.0 kernel with newer system software

Aw. Can I alter my 9.0 FW to say it's FW 15.0, then back it up to a file before I update to 11.X, so that I when I try to restore that back-up ARM9 thinks it's the latest ? :-)

...in fact, there are no more real advantages to keeping an old version around

Yes, I've been getting that impression. So it's fine to update via WiFI with no caution and no precautions and just run the newest official firmware? And if I want I can still run homebrew on 11.6 SysNAND and modify things (like the flashcard blacklist) thanks to B9S?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Aw. Can I alter my 9.0 FW to say it's FW 15.0, then back it up to a file before I update to 11.X, so that I when I try to restore that back-up ARM9 thinks it's the latest ? :-)
You can change the displayed version number, but that's not what the system cares about - each title has its own version number

Not that it matters, since nand backups or ctrtransfers are installed with arm9 homebrews (godmode9) or hardmod - which ignore any protection added in the operating system, since it's not running as you use said tools

So it's fine to update via WiFI with no caution and no precautions and just run the newest official firmware?
Correct, any serious CFW made in the last year and half (including all those compatible with B9S) have a feature that prevents the kernel partitions from being rewritten (which would remove B9S): Luma and Reinand have it by default, in Cakes it must be manually enabled

If a major change in the operating system were to happen, your system may not boot until you update CFW - which is a matter of replacing a file on the SD

And if I want I can still run homebrew on 11.6 SysNAND and modify things thanks to B9S?
Sure! Or more properly, thanks to the CFW (B9S is just one way you can start a CFW - although certainly the most convenient)

like the flashcard blacklist
And, wait for it, if you choose Luma as your CFW that's not an issue anymore - all DSi-compatible flashcards are unlocked automatically, in fact you're encouraged to revert to unmodified whitelist/twlfirm/agbfirm

Reactions: Quantumcat

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow thanks, that's a great reply. I guess I'll update. So I actually can restore my very old 9.0 NAND back-up by using GodMode9? That's wicked.
in fact you're encouraged to revert to unmodified whitelist/twlfirm/agbfirm

I've just been googling for how to remove the 3 SysNAND changes that I made, but I haven't found much. The old changes I made are:
  • install timewarp to SysNAND
  • install NVRAM to SysNAND
  • install MSET EUR CIA to SysNAND
Should I do a factory reset from Settings to get rid?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I actually can restore my very old 9.0 NAND back-up by using GodMode9?
Yes, with the option of a full restore (what it says on the tin) or a "safe" restore which leaves B9S installed

The old changes I made are:
  • install timewarp to SysNAND
  • install NVRAM to SysNAND
  • install MSET EUR CIA to SysNAND
Should I do a factory reset from Settings to get rid?
That won't affect installed titles; however, "timewarp" is just an outdated whitelist and it will update with the system, same for the downgraded system settings, nvram isn't even a title and won't affect the result (it's also reset by going to DS Profile with the new fixed versions of system settings or running a DS game)

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, with the option of a full restore (what it says on the tin) or a "safe" restore which leaves B9S installed

That won't affect installed titles; however, "timewarp" is just an outdated whitelist and it will update with the system, same for the downgraded system settings, nvram isn't even a title and won't affect the result (it's also reset by going to DS Profile with the new fixed versions of system settings or running a DS game)

Thanks Ryccardo. I'll update now. If you have a bit more time, would you mind taking a quick look at my other thread about how to point Luma3DS to an existing EmuNAND?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks Ryccardo. I'll update now. If you have a bit more time, would you mind taking a quick look at my other thread about how to point Luma3DS to an existing EmuNAND?
Yeah, just saw it right now... in the Luma settings (opened with select) you can choose your default system, and the Luma instructions on github tell you which buttons to hold to temporarily switch to the other ones

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, just saw it right now... in the Luma settings (opened with select) you can choose your default system, and the Luma instructions on github tell you which buttons to hold to temporarily switch to the other ones

I don't think it knows where my EmuNAND is. I haven't told it what folder to look in, or where to find launcher.dat. In fact my launcher.dat is an old Gateway one that I probably ought to delete and replace.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think it knows where my EmuNAND is. I haven't told it what folder to look in, or where to find launcher.dat. In fact my launcher.dat is an old Gateway one that I probably ought to delete and replace.
Emunand is a non-partitioned area at the beginning of the SD, its existence has nothing to do with whatever CFW you may be using to launch it (launcher.dat being Gateway's outdated CFW)

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Emunand is a non-partitioned area at the beginning of the SD, its existence has nothing to do with whatever CFW you may be using to launch it (launcher.dat being Gateway's outdated CFW)

Ah, it's in that 2GB of mysterious space! Unfortunately Luma3DS doesn't seem to recognise mine. Maybe cos it was made with a Gateway?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, it's in that 2GB of mysterious space! Unfortunately Luma3DS doesn't seem to recognise mine. Maybe cos it was made with a Gateway?
Luma defaults to SysNAND. I assume you've tried holding L when booting or checking "Autoboot EmuNAND" in Luma's options (hold select on boot)?
Does GodMode9 recognize it? (If it does, it'd show EmuNAND drives in addition to SysNAND ones.)

Last edited by Cuphat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?