GCN Can I burn a GameCube disk without paying money?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamestheawesomedude.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, there are some GameCube game ISOs I'd like to burn to a disk, but all the tutorials I could find involved expensive, shady software, such as Alcohol 120%, Nero, etc.

I need the games to be playable without having to flash/hack/jailbreak/etc my GameCube - also, I need to be 100% sure it will work before I go out and buy a pack of mini disks.

I'm running Linux, but I do have a copy of Windows XP Pro with the super-ultra-pro-business-grade edition of Roxio burner, so that's on the table as an option.

I will gladly provide any software and hardware specs requested. I am very competent with computers, and am relatively knowledgeable in Linux. (The only things I can't do are Kernel modules and compiling...)

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any burning software should work - I prefer ImgBurn for Windows, but anything that can burn an ISO in Linux should also be fine.

However, you're not going to just be able to play burned discs. You'll need a modchip or something similar.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I've never tinkered with Gamecube stuff specifically, so I can't tell you what modchip is best or what the general price is, if anyone even still sells them. I just know that burning Wii ISOs is as simple as burning the file to a disc, so I assume the same of GC ISOs. I can tell you that you'll probably need to do some soldering, though.

There's also a method that involves a specific Action Replay and a cheap SD to memory card slot adapter; I know it lets you play a good deal of ISOs from the GC's memory card slot, but I don't know if it can load burned discs without a chip.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just a note, is a Wii available? The Wii can be softmodded for free without having to open them up or anything, and the older models that still have GC controller and memory card ports can play burned DVDs last I checked (somebody might want to post more specific info here as I've never done this for GC stuff, I use DIOS MIOS or retail for GC myself).

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
One of the things I'd heard about GC disks is that they need data to be burned to a special part of the disk that most disk burners can't/don't burn.. That was mainly what I was asking about...

I'm an absolute beginner to this stuff, I'll need someone really experienced to explain everything to me... :(

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Just a note, is a Wii available? The Wii can be softmodded for free without having to open them up or anything, and the older models that still have GC controller and memory card ports can play burned DVDs last I checked (somebody might want to post more specific info here as I've never done this for GC stuff, I use DIOS MIOS or retail for GC myself).

No, a Wii is not available. I need someone with GameCube experience, as I've heard the GC is harder to get working. I have absolutely no knowledge on this topic, I need someone who is very nowledgable about the gamecube specifically.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, a Wii is not available. I need someone with GameCube experience, as I've heard the GC is harder to get working. I have absolutely no knowledge on this topic, I need someone who is very nowledgable about the gamecube specifically.
You need a modchip (to launch burned discs straight-up) or an SD Gecko (to use a launcher app), if you have either of those two, you'll need:
  • miniDVD discs, if you have no case mod available
  • A case mod, if you want to use full-sized DVD's which are more easily accessible
All that being said, SD loading via an SD Gecko is another good solution for backups on the Gamecube, however music streaming games probably won't work properly if you go for that solution.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Buying a used Wii and softmod it yourself to play games off a USB drive or off normal DVDs is definitely cheaper then buying a GC modchip and a bunch of expensive mini DVDs and even put up with soldering.
Not to mention that GC games have to be burned in a special way ( I forgot, it's been a while ).

Really, you're better off with a Wii.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, there are some GameCube game ISOs I'd like to burn to a disk, but all the tutorials I could find involved expensive, shady software, such as Alcohol 120%, Nero, etc.

I need the games to be playable without having to flash/hack/jailbreak/etc my GameCube - also, I need to be 100% sure it will work before I go out and buy a pack of mini disks.

I'm running Linux, but I do have a copy of Windows XP Pro with the super-ultra-pro-business-grade edition of Roxio burner, so that's on the table as an option.

I will gladly provide any software and hardware specs requested. I am very competent with computers, and am relatively knowledgeable in Linux. (The only things I can't do are Kernel modules and compiling...)
Use imgburn, burn the ISO at 3x speed or lower for best quailty.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait they modded GCs to have full dvd drives?

The case is the only thing that prevents the use of full size DVDs.

As far as the OP is concerned, you could always just use the Dolphin emulator to play the GC isos and if you so choose, Wii isos as well.

One of the things I'd heard about GC disks is that they need data to be burned to a special part of the disk that most disk burners can't/don't burn.. That was mainly what I was asking about...

I'm an absolute beginner to this stuff, I'll need someone really experienced to explain everything to me... :(
I have burned many GC isos to dvd and mini-dvd, I suggest that if you do wish to burn them, only set it to 4x burn speed. What you've heard was, mostly, an old rumor when the GC first came out and they were trying to find out what format the games were in. The part that may have been true would be the disc burner part, as they thought, at the time, that the games were burned in reverse of all other dvd formats.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
the answer to your question (can you burn a gamecube game without paying money) is technically yes, as long as you are not paying the electricity bill, but sure someone down the line would have to pay for it.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't read the other replies yet, so excuse me if this has been mentioned before. There are a few ways to play burned Gamecube games;

1. Modchip. Install it, do a pot adjustment, and you're set. Just burn games on mini DVDs.
2. SD Media Launcher. Pot adjustment, and throw a backup loader on a 2GB SD card. Launch the backup loader, and you're set.
3. Action Replay, plus SD Gecko. Follow everything in option 2.

You can also get a Gamecube system case that allows space so that you can use normal discs in it, but I'd recommend just using mini DVDs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse