Hacking Can EZFlash IV play DS games on DS/ DS Lite?

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you'v had to answer this before, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in the forums.

so... I have an EZFlash IV (the one that goes in the GBA, encase there is another version I am not aware of.)
I'm thinking of getting a DS Lite.
I was wondering, if I put DS .roms on the EZFlash IV, would they play on the DS or DS Lite.
Or do I have to buy a DS specific flash cart.

Thanks.

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. I'm kind of a noob. What is a slot 1 card/pass me card?

I've heard this term thrown around a bit, but I don't quite understand.

EDIT: Sorry, I did my own research, and figured it out on my own.
So basically it's an adapter?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To run DS games on the EZ4 you need to boot DS mode from the GBA slot.

There are a few ways of doing this but these days it will boil down to two methods

1) nopass/passme

2) Flashme

1) The nopass was a type of device that allowed you to boot from the GBA slot in DS mode. They are little carts that pretend to be DS games and boot from there. As this is a simple software thing later DS slot flash carts gained the functionality. Some have since dropped it but you should be able to do something with software/homebrew.

2) Flashme is a modified firmware for the DS, originally it was intended for booting custom code from the GBA slot and via wifi/download play. Today most use it as it also skips the health and safety screen. However you need to be able to run DS code in the first place to do it.

All this said once you do have it booting you will probably only be able to play a good chunk of games released before April 2009 (the last update for the DS patching, which by the way you have to do with EZ4client) and maybe a handful of later games if they got patching (they tended not to). Now this does include quite a few great games (I play tetris on my EZ4 to this day) but there is also a lot that is missing. You will do a lot bettering buying basically any DS slot flash cart, if you can get a Wood compatible one then you are laughing.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sorry. I'm kind of a noob. What is a slot 1 card/pass me card?

I've heard this term thrown around a bit, but I don't quite understand.

EDIT: Sorry, I did my own research, and figured it out on my own.
So basically it's an adapter?

see what fast6191 read
a slot 1 card means a ds game card
a slot 2 card means the gba game card

you can use a passme\nopass\etcpass card (which is a ds card) to boot the console in ds mode and run the gba slot (so ez iv will work on nds mode to play nds games) but the compatibilty sucks... and i think the battery gets drained faster you will do much better getting a ds flashcart

and i had problems with NDS mode on ez iv, i think they removed the nds mode on newer firmwares... because i can't boot it unless i use a old firmware which doesnt work with the NOR (i have a new ez iv model)

you should get a DS flashcart, they are cheap, search for "which card should i get" thread, there are a lot of threads, make sure to research on them..
there are a lot of ds flashcarts, the best one and it is the most expensive is DSTWO, which i do have (i bought a dstwo and a ez iv)
but you should be fine with an r4, i just can't tell you much because there is a lot of confusion...
there are dozens of different r4, any should be fine if you use a ds lite, just make sure if you decide to get a r4 make sure you get it from a good website and double check the website (there is a http://r4i-sdhc.com/ website and there is http://r4issdhc.com/ just to give you idea the struggle in choosing one)

but the only issue you will should get is if you plan into getting a 3ds or dsi... with a ds lite there should be no problem

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this work the other way around?
If I bought an EZFlash for the DS, and put gba games on it, could I play them?
Btw, thanks for all the info it really helps. But after reading it all, I think I might be better off investing in a DS flash cart.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Would this work the other way around?
If I bought an EZFlash for the DS, and put gba games on it, could I play them?
Btw, thanks for all the info it really helps. But after reading it all, I think I might be better off investing in a DS flash cart.

yes you can play gba games on a DS with Ez Flash iv.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean like an EZ5i?
If so then no, there is some very limited emulation but nothing I can really point at and say do that if you just want to play games. Said EZ5i did come with what became the most popular expansion pack (which is sold separately) in the form of the EZ 3 in 1. Expansion packs sit in the GBA slot and get managed by DS carts, this means you really do want to use them in a DS or DS lite rather than a GBA but they play just about everything. As the EZTeam open sourced the libraries to run it just about everything supports it.
The only DS carts to do worthwhile GBA emulation, primarily because they have extra hardware onboard, are the iplayer (which does not play commercial games), the ISMM (which does play commercial games and is basically a DStwo but with older firmware and so a tiny bit less compatibility and no real DStwo only homebrew, also going quite cheap in various places) and the DSTwo (which is the DStwo, you can read about that everywhere).

If you just mean can I stick my EZ4 in a DS and just have it run GBA games then yes you can. Some older carts did not have dual loaders for both the GBA and DS (you had one or the other) but the EZ4 does.

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... It sounds to me, for the sake of simplicity, and so that I don't have to reduce quality by using emulators, that I should just use both the EZF4 and the EZF5i for their respective games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the GBA library is more than playable via the DSTwo's emulator. Equally it is not like you are on a different control or screen setup.

Also the EZ5i is OK I guess but it has not been updated in a while and as such you might miss out one some later games (pokemon conquest and onwards really), also if you ever did decide to migrate to the DSi or 3ds it will not work (pending hacks anyway). If you already have one or a mate is planning to sell you one cheap then you can play most of the DS library and what you miss out on was largely film/TV show tie ins and actual shovelware.

If you want you can pick up a DS slot cart that works and a 3 in 1 expansion pack (they are typically a bit cheaper) for those things it struggles with (which is not a lot).

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll have to explain the context of what I am doing in order to understand where I'm going with my questions.

I am creating a gaming device called the Gameboy Nexus. It will be a custom device that will have the hardware of a DS lite. It will play DS, GBA, GBC, GB, and SNES (hopefully.) It will have the control scheme of a GC controller. You will be able to load SD cards (not micro sd, conversion will be tricky....) with games and put it into the device and play....

So, to make it simple, and to cut down on the emulation factor (I want it to be as fast as possible) I will probably have to get the EZF V and EZF IV.

And if there's room, I'll add some cool lights, and extra power pools for extended battery life. Maybe even a spinning fan, even though it's not necessary, it will sound and look bad-ass when I turn it on.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I guess I'll have to explain the context of what I am doing in order to understand where I'm going with my questions.

I am creating a gaming device called the Gameboy Nexus. It will be a custom device that will have the hardware of a DS lite. It will play DS, GBA, GBC, GB, and SNES (hopefully.) It will have the control scheme of a GC controller. You will be able to load SD cards (not micro sd, conversion will be tricky....) with games and put it into the device and play....

So, to make it simple, and to cut down on the emulation factor (I want it to be as fast as possible) I will probably have to get the EZF V and EZF IV.

And if there's room, I'll add some cool lights, and extra power pools for extended battery life. Maybe even a spinning fan, even though it's not necessary, it will sound and look bad-ass when I turn it on.
Conversion between MicroSD and SD is tricky? There are adapters available for that and all they do is connect the matching pins...
If you really want to run DS games from the EZ4, then you could install FlashMe on the DS using a DS flashcart. But that method of running DS games has become rather obsolete and it won't run nearly every game without patching it.

The EZ5 is also not one of the recommended DS flashcarts. Currently there are only 3 worth buying (because they are the only ones receiving frequent enough updates), those are the R4i Gold (r4ids.cn model), R4iDSN, and SuperCard DSTWO. The two former are cheap and will work with the 3DS as well in case you want to use it with one in the future. The DSTWO costs a bit more but it plays SNES games much better than any other cart due to its onboard CPU, and it can run GBA games rather well too (although far from perfect, where a slot-2 cart is damn near flawless)

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conversion between MicroSD and SD is tricky? There are adapters available for that and all they do is connect the matching pins...
If you really want to run DS games from the EZ4, then you could install FlashMe on the DS using a DS flashcart. But that method of running DS games has become rather obsolete and it won't run nearly every game without patching it.

The EZ5 is also not one of the recommended DS flashcarts. Currently there are only 3 worth buying (because they are the only ones receiving frequent enough updates), those are the R4i Gold (r4ids.cn model), R4iDSN, and SuperCard DSTWO. The two former are cheap and will work with the 3DS as well in case you want to use it with one in the future. The DSTWO costs a bit more but it plays SNES games much better than any other cart due to its onboard CPU, and it can run GBA games rather well too (although far from perfect, where a slot-2 cart is damn near flawless)

Ahh, thank you very much, this is very useful.
I guess I will be using the EZF IV for GBA, and the DSTWO, sense I don't have a problem raking out a few more bucks. But I will start with the R4iDSN, and see how it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou