Hardware Can anyone confirm if they got IPS on any 3DS systems from black Friday?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my black friday white new 3ds (purchased from amazon) has both tn displays. Pretty disappointing. It also shipped with 11.1 even though everyone had been reporting 11.0.

my launch new 3ds xl (purchased from best buy, original firmware 9.0) has top ips bottom tn

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I guess it all depends on the eyes that are used to look at the screen, and possibly what you are used to.
But I for one can say that the TN screens are utterly gross. Even while looking straight at them with no 3D on.

I've been blessed with a IPS screen since release, and the first thing I noticed while booting up my new N3ds XL was the horrid colors. I can't not notice the difference after being blessed for so long.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

MutableSoldiers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm a little late to this party, but for anyone who may stumble across this... Open your browser on the 3ds, and plug in the following website:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

What you'll do is count the number of "blank" spaces, until you begin to see solid, more tangible squares.
An IPS screen will begin to show around 8, and a TN screen at about 4.
I have two systems, myself. The silver MH4 edition, and the purple Galaxy one. Both have IPS top, and TN bottom. I've heard of people swapping out their TN screens, with a bit of technical know how.... Though I can honestly say, it doesn't make a huge difference. My original 3ds xl was dual TN, and I never even noticed until I bought the new ones. Anybow... Perhaps a bit more winded than I anticipated, but there you have it!
Hope that helps anyone who may be unsure.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm a little late to this party, but for anyone who may stumble across this... Open your browser on the 3ds, and plug in the following website:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

What you'll do is count the number of "blank" spaces, until you begin to see solid, more tangible squares.
An IPS screen will begin to show around 8, and a TN screen at about 4.
I have two systems, myself. The silver MH4 edition, and the purple Galaxy one. Both have IPS top, and TN bottom. I've heard of people swapping out their TN screens, with a bit of technical know how.... Though I can honestly say, it doesn't make a huge difference. My original 3ds xl was dual TN, and I never even noticed until I bought the new ones. Anybow... Perhaps a bit more winded than I anticipated, but there you have it!
Hope that helps anyone who may be unsure.
That's not a reliable method. IF you have a N3DS, use screeninfo.3dsx to check.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually this whole thing with IPS is rather sketchy.

Afaik for the past few years IPS is LGs patented technology and (so far thank god) Nintendo did not use LG trash for its consoles.
As far as I can remember Sharp was the sole provider of displays for most of Nintendos consoles that have/had displays in them. My source also says that Sharp was the only provider for DSi displays. Due to the nearly identical serials on the backs of the displays I managed to see, all the displays are Sharp made.

Does anyone who clearly knows they have ''ips'' panel tried opening the console and take a photo of the serial on the back of the lcd?
Can we compare it with someone who knows he has tn and opened console?

(Well the only exception that didnt use Sharp (or I was extremely unlucky and didnt manage to get my hands on it) was WiiUs gamepad which had Panasonic made (probably AUO manufactured though) panel in them.)

Anyhow, if Im correct, these arent really (nowday) IPS displays.
And I very much think I am because even with Switch :switch:, Nintendo (in my personal opinion) abandoned Sharp due to the company being sold to HonHai and moved to Japan Display as the only provider of screens.

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik for the past few years IPS is LGs patented technology
Not even remotely true

Does anyone who clearly knows they have ''ips'' panel tried opening the console and take a photo of the serial on the back of the lcd?
Not necessary, the N3DS has an API function to check the model number of the screen. 3dsident and screeninfo.3dsx check the model number and display whether it's IPS or TN.
I'm unaware of a homebrew that output's the screen's model number directly.

Anyhow, if Im correct, these arent really (nowday) IPS displays.
Yes, they are.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Not even remotely true

Not necessary, the N3DS has an API function to check the model number of the screen. 3dsident and screeninfo.3dsx check the model number and display whether it's IPS or TN.
I'm unaware of a homebrew that output's the screen's model number directly.

Yes, they are.

Must say those are some great arguments!

Even though Hitachi invented the solution, most ips panels are made by lg and basically only they use pure (don't misunderstand, this is not related to quality but instead technology) ips. Again AFAIK

Sharp used ASV, ChiMei Lcs-mva,Auo mva and smva and other variants. . .the only that I'm aware using a fork of Ips is Panasonic old division of panel manufacturing which was making alpha-ips and now Jdi with so called NEO which is a distant ips relative

As for the serials I didn't say anything about homebrew. You need to have a look old style, with your eyes

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol