Hacking Can anyone confirm if new Wii U update effects homebrew in vWii?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my roommate was using the TV, so I guess it has to be on, but why the hell does to have to be on, isn't the whole purpose to, agh. Annoying. Can't the make it so you don't need it on? I held down B, but I didn't have to be on the right input.

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Just tested on mine and can confirm that my WiiU complains about the TV being off.

Sony TV (only a year or so old), connected via HDMI. If the TV is off (well, in standby) and I power up the WiiU and hold B, then I get a screen on the gamepad complaining about the TV:

If I turn on the TV and press "try again" then all is ok. And this can be any channel, it doesn;t have to be in the Wii U's HDMI input.

Once this is done, I can then turn off the TV and use the Wii without problem (including rebooting vWill)

That's the same thing as on mine and I use a Vizio 32" LED LCD TV from 2010. But, I MUST have it on the HDMI input that the Wii U is on to select Try Again. I have three HDMI ports, my PC hooked to one of them. I had it on my PC channel, but it still wouldn't take. I changed it to the Wii U input and pressed try again and THEN it worked.....

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
You can't use component instead?

I travel with my Wii U because I can just take the unit, power brick, and gamepad when I go on an overnight trip. I DO have a 3DS XL, but it's nice and convenient to have some variety. I want to able to run Wii games WITHOUT having to plug into the TV at all.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, that fucking blows.

Went back to HBC and it's back in 4:3 again. So, I guess when you go back IN to HBC, then it goes into 4:3, but when you install, it didn't.

Here's what happened:

Installed HBC and went in it upon exit from installer: 16:9

Went back to system menu and went back into HBC: 4:3

Something IN the system menu must be causing this.

It is very easy to understand what is going on here. System update doesn't mess with HBC, system update makes Wii recognize if a game is in 16:9 or in 4:3 format. Just boot a Wiiware or a CV game. There is no need to change the format using the TV controller anymore. Wii system just recognizes the proper format, and activates it. I just realized this when booting "La Mulana", a Wiiware game that runs in native 4:3 format. I didn't have to use the TV remote to change the TV format, as the game booted in 4:3 format by itself.

The IOS has changed, and it is able to decide if a game has to boot in 4:3 or in 16:9 format. This is not a mistake, this is not the update messing around. This is a real improvement.

Problem is, HBC is recognized as a 4:3 format application. So it boots in that format, along with all the homebrew you boot from it.

What happened to you is easy to understand. When applying the hack, you where playing your game in 16:9 format. You installed HBC and it directly booted from there. System IOS didn't intervene. You were in 16:9, and HBC kept in that format.

But when booting it again from the system menu, the system checked its native format and decided it had to be shown in 4:3. As HBC always boots from the system menu, this "issue" is always present.

Fortunately this doesn't happen when using a forwarder channel. I do not know exactly why, but it must be IOS related. I guess forwarder channel is recognized as a 16:9 game. So in fact, Homebrew Channel programmers should only apply a few changes to its "channel container", using the same "configuration" as a generic forwarder channel to solve this issue.

BR

mrbigreddog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj explained it in detail on wiibrew forums

The aspect ratio issue is caused by Nintendo actually figuring out how their hardware works and forcing 4:3 letterboxing for certain VC platforms when a widescreen mode is being used, and HBC's title ID starting with "L" (same as Master System VC). It's a one line fix to re-enable fullscreen mode, but there's a lot of other voodoo and magical incantations that need to be done for a HBC release.

So I was right!! It DOES think that it's a VC game! HAHAHAHA!!! WHATDOIWINWHATDOIWIN?? oh... nothing? that's cool.. I guess...

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I posted in the other thread, this is actually really nice and I'm glad Nintendo did that. When using my regular Wii, at least I can set my TV to 4:3 mode for virtual console titles, but with HDMI connections I can't do that so it was a huge turn-off to have stretched out video.

I think we'll just have to wait until they make a native widescreen HBC.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good theory Alcab, but what about official games that are optional 16/9 or 4/3.
If the system is able to choose 4/3 or 16/9 depending on the game/sw. What about games that have support for both modes. How does the system choose without the user selecting what they prefer?

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I travel with my Wii U because I can just take the unit, power brick, and gamepad when I go on an overnight trip. I DO have a 3DS XL, but it's nice and convenient to have some variety. I want to able to run Wii games WITHOUT having to plug into the TV at all.

Have you tried unplugging the AV connector from the Wii-u?

If that doesn't work, you could mod an AV composite connector and add some resistors to simulate the load of a TV.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the system is able to choose 4/3 or 16/9 depending on the game/sw. What about games that have support for both modes. How does the system choose without the user selecting what they prefer?

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with IOS. Games like Brawl just adjust the Wii settings. If you have your Wii in 4:3 mode, then you change Brawl to 16:9 and return to the home menu, your Wii itself will be in 16:9 and vice versa. Wii U probably lacks that option since it doesn't have system settings anymore.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good theory Alcab, but what about official games that are optional 16/9 or 4/3.

I had not read tueidj post in wiibrew forums, so I'm happy to see I was right in my assumptions.
I guess games that support both modes are shown in 16:9 mode, as it is the best option to choose if that is the case.

BR

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In fact, I've realized this issue is very useful if you want to play GCN games in the Wii U GamePad using Devolution. It forces a 4:3 mode, preventing the game to be stretched in the gamepad.
Just check the video I posted on page 2.

BR.

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or you could use Convert2vWii to change any Wii forwarder to a vWii one.

Speaking of forwarders, while I really doubt this will work, could someone try using this HBC Forwarder to see if that fixes the aspect ratio problem?
HBC Forwarder - GHBC - vWii
GreenHBC.png~original

I can confirm this works like a charm. Best solution until Homebrew Channel Team can fix it properly.

BR

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could use Convert2vWii to change any Wii forwarder to a vWii one.

Speaking of forwarders, while I really doubt this will work, could someone try using this HBC Forwarder to see if that fixes the aspect ratio problem?
HBC Forwarder - GHBC - vWii
GreenHBC.png~original

Dang, gonna try this out right away!

I can confirm this works like a charm. Best solution until Homebrew Channel Team can fix it properly.

BR

So does it allow you to exit/launch the app without it freaking out with the aspect ratio?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: