Buying an used Xbox - what should I know?

porshionXmato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just like the topic says - I'll probably buy an original used Xbox, but I totally don't know what should I know before buying it.

All I know that I want it to be modded so I'd be able to use backups from the hdd, and... that's actually all. But how to do that, which mod is the best one etc., I've no idea.

Any tips what to look after/ask the seller before buying are much appreciated, as I would like to get a chance to experience the full possibilities of the console.

Truth to be told, back in the PS2/GC/Xbox days, I wasn't interested in the last one as much as the other two, so that's why I would like to get some advice.

And one more thing - more or less, how's the, uh, "durability" of the Xbox itself? And what about repairing it, are the parts easily obtainable etc.

Thanks in advance.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to research upgrading the hdd. A softmod allows ripping discs to the official hdd, even DVD-R, except under 8GB is usable...
Failure wise I don't know much. Sturdy optical drives are of course going to be the first part to get scarce whenever that happens.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you get a 1.0 to 1.5 xbox, then you might look into removing the clock capacitor first, as their prone to leaking which can cause trace corrosion (in extreme cases, ruin your mainboard)

Like Lum said, softmod it and upgrade the harddrive.
Copy all games you own/plan to own/obtain to the harddrive and forget about the DVD drive.
Load times are much quicker and the Xbox is less noisy then.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get a 1.0 to 1.5 xbox, then you might look into removing the clock capacitor first, as their prone to leaking which can cause trace corrosion (in extreme cases, ruin your mainboard)

Like Lum said, softmod it and upgrade the harddrive.
Copy all games you own/plan to own/obtain to the harddrive and forget about the DVD drive.
Load times are much quicker and the Xbox is less noisy then.

I wasn't aware of the capacitor issue (I own a 1.6), but good to know in the future if I run into older models...

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts