Hardware Buying a mouse

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK so I really need a new mouse. My current one I had to find somewhere away with my old PCs and it's well... old... let's just say it's a ball mouse. I'm getting fed up with constantly having to clean it when it let go it usually drags forward a bit, either due to the wire or the ball being placed down.

Anyway, I'm looking for something no more than ~£10 (~$17) and from what I've seen so far it looks like I can get a basic gaming mouse! Are these any more useful, and are the extra buttons actually used often? I play few FPSs but it would be cool if I could assign them to other things. (Open Google Chrome etc.)

Also the main buttons (left, right and middle) MUST be 'click-able' - as in not too hard to press nor not too sensitive. Another thing is is it needs to be nicely weighted, not too heavy (hate heavy mice) and not really light.
Actually I'll just make a list of things I want:

• About £10
  • At least 3 Buttons
  • Not too hard / too sensitive to press (though I would prefer sensitive to hard)
  • Not too heavy / too light
  • Not one of those tiny mice that fits in your palm.
  • Don't mind whether it's wireless or wired - Does anyone have any opinions on which is better?
  • USB or PS2 don't care which
  • I would prefer a laser mouse as I've heard they're a lot better but optical should be OK.
BTW I have my mouse directly on my desk (wood effect) with no mouse mat. In past experiences of using an optical mouse on a wood surface the cursor occasionally starts moving on it's own; I presume this is to do with the pattern or something... anyway, I don't really want it to do that.

So, has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks, Wizerzak.

BTW If I can't get all of this for £10 please don't shout 'Your asking for more than you can afford'. Could you please instead tell me how much it WOULD come to and I might spend a little more.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not sure about mice (Sorry!) but I got a mousemat for 30p off amazon(I was lucky, it's £1.69 now), if the wood finish breaks stuff.

Also, I think Wired/Wireless is a personal choice. I like wireless, but they are of course more expensive
smile.gif

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SimpyDsi said:
Not sure about mice (Sorry!) but I got a mousemat for 30p off amazon(I was lucky, it's £1.69 now), if the wood finish breaks stuff.

Also, I think Wired/Wireless is a personal choice. I like wireless, but they are of course more expensive
smile.gif

Yh, it's just wireless mice (used?) to sometimes be slow to respond and you also had to install a load of software with annoying icons in the corner of your screen.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You can sometimes find a Microsoft X5 or X8 on eBay for under £10, although more often they're around £25 (the average price for a gaming mouse). I'd go for the Saitek mouse linked.

Btw, laser mice need just as much cleaning as ball mice do. Fortunately, the X8 has "feet" that means its much easier to clean.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you ever find yourself considering Razer, please think again. Personally I've had nothing but trouble with their mice breaking down. It took 5 replacement mice before I finally got one that didn't break down within a couple of months.

Just a friendly little warning.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Razor are hit and miss. Certain mice of theirs are awesome in design and just won't break down. Some try new features and just cause endless problems, either due to hardware or software faults or both. In all cases, they're the premium priced mice.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lol. just read the ebay listing I linked and at the bottom it says it is faulty. All the rest are £20.

I'm deciding between the Sidewinder X3 and the Saitek Cyborg V.1. I think the Saitek one looks a bit wierd with the pink glow wheel and there's a ridge in front of it which is bound to annoy me.

So, has anyone had any experiences with the X3? Is it any good? Does it match my points in the first post? (I can check some spec stuff but some things you need to try in person to find out)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'd go for a Logitech MX Revolution (or some of its successors). Though it's more like £90 hehe... But it is the best I've ever had, and works great and feels great. But that's my oppinion.

The newest in that series seems to be: "Logitech Performance Mouse MX" which is a bit cheaper, though nowhere near £10. but it can even track on glass!
http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/revie...ouse-mx/?p=2076

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
Between the two, I'd rather the Saitek Cyborg mouse. It has a "forward" and "backward" button.

If it's anything like assigning things to a G15 Keyboard then I presume those buttons on the sides can be assigned to forward and backward.

@Isaac I would definately get one of those but I not really willing to spend that much, lol.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's not really that they "can" be, but more that they are assigned as such by default. Of course, you can use windows to change that. There's also Microsoft... IntelliPoint was it? Something like that, which offers more powerful customisations. I only ever need the wheel, forward, backward and the 3 sensitivity settings of my SideWinder X8. Removable 10g weights are just a bonus for the £5 mouse from eBay.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wombo Combo said:
I would save up to get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance...e/dp/B0007Z1M50

I had a MX 518 and it was amazing. I currently use Logitech G9X and I love the on board profile feature.

I've had an MW518 for 3 years now, and it's simply amazing. Terrific mouse. Beware that the plastic on top of the mouse tends to get dirty and loosen up.
It has a few extra buttons, super easy to use them in FPS games to reload or throw flashgrenades. Superb mouse and quite cheap too!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ved=0CCcQ8wIwAA

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
It's not really that they "can" be, but more that they are assigned as such by default. Of course, you can use windows to change that. There's also Microsoft... IntelliPoint was it? Something like that, which offers more powerful customisations. I only ever need the wheel, forward, backward and the 3 sensitivity settings of my SideWinder X8. Removable 10g weights are just a bonus for the £5 mouse from eBay.

huh? which one had removable weights?
From what I can tell, I'm not going to really need more than 5 programmable buttons (play few FPSs) so I think I'll probably go with the X3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: