Buying a GBA Flash Cart in 2012

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by PeoplePower, Jun 18, 2012.

Jun 18, 2012
    • Newcomer

PeoplePower New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    So recently I have started playing some old GBA games via emulation and I wanted to know if any flash carts can still be bought today. If any of you know where i can get the EV Flash IV preferably for a cheap price and from a legit website.
    • Former Staff

Minox Spytech Employee

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Real Hot Stuff appears to still have the EZ Flash IV for $35. While I have not ordered from them myself they are known to be a rather reliable American company.

0ShippingZone also appears to still have the EZ Flash IV in stock. 0ShippingZone is a Chinese company, but I've ordered from there in the past and they're fairly reliable.
    • Newcomer

Arranf New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    The only flashcart you're likely to find with any ease is the EZ-Flash IV which happens to be one of the better models around.

Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

nl255 New Member

Message Count:
    Another option is to buy a GBA hardware clone that includes a SD card slot. If you search gbatemp for something like "A GBA 1:1 clone with extras" you will find it. Be careful though as many of them use crappy software emulation like the Dingoo rather than the real GBA hardware with a SD interface added.

Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Yer, most of these are emu based, I would personally recommend you grab a Gameboy Micro and an EZ Flash IV the micro really is a thing of beauty and honestly the sexiest looking thing Nintendo ever made.

Edit: Although these look pretty cool actually:
    Youtube Video
    • Newcomer

Markitus95 New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    I got a EZ-Flash IV for Christmas and they are really easy to get. I can tell you it's one of the best GBA flashcarts, it works perfectly except for some games that need save patches and Pokémon RSE (no RTC).
    • Newcomer

Sawyer88 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I also recently ordered EZ flash from this site http://ebluar.com/ez-flash-iv-4-mini-ez-card-for-gba-gba-sp-nds.html I think they provide the cheapest price in the market.
    • Newcomer

eastbayarb New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I personally dont reccomend a clone. If you are gonna deal with emulation, might as well just use a PSP. I have an SP model AGS-101, which is the front lit version. I can also play regular gameboy games on it.
    • Newcomer

LeoSan New Member

Message Count:
    Uruguay
    Both sites mark them as "out of stock" right now
  1. ryanlaw
    This message by ryanlaw has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    Dec 20, 2012

Count Duckula .

Message Count:
    Australia
    It's emulation on a relatively weak CPU; you can play some with acceptable performance, but many run poorly or not at all.

Exophase's gpSP on a PSP/other platforms is better, but you cant beat running the game on the original hardware for accuracy and speed :)

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Message Count:
    Arctic Ocean
    If you don't mind it being on a different console, and a slightly higher cost, you can emulate GBA games very easily on a PSP without a flash cart, models 3000, 2000, and 1000. (Not sure about the Go capability, and Vita is more difficult.) Amazon is selling the 3000 model for $99, and you can probably find it cheaper from somewhere else, unless you already have a PSP. :)

Go here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP#Gameboy_Advance

I've had great results with this one - UO gpSP Kai 3.4 Test 3 Build 92 which you can download from Filetrip at the link.

You'll need CFW (custom firmware), and a memory stick duo that has a high enough capacity for the amount of games you want to put on there. This website will hook you up with all the firmware files you need and the directions to do it.

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

Make sure you have the cord that supports miniUSB and regular USB to connect the system to your computer.

I really like this method because now I can play my GBA games with a backlit screen, no hardware modding either. Also, no batteries, and it's still just as portable! :)

In the long run, this may be better than getting a flash cart. The system will also let you emulate tons others, all listed in the Wiki link I posted. :) Good luck!

Ron It Begins

Message Count:
    Canada

A PSP is good for stuff like this, way better than getting a GBA clone, or a flashcart, you get a lot more with just a little bit more money ($50-$20 bucks more if you get a GBA + Flashcart, or a GBA clone). PSP can also emulate the N64 well IIRC, and PSX also, and you get access to the whole PSP library, which is nice. All PSPs are hackable as well, so that's good. I would get one myself, but I've decided personally to wait and see how the Vita scene develops.

It's a much better investment, and depending where you get it, much more bang for your buck, as well.
    Xarsah16 likes this.

Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

Message Count:
    United States
    I always personally enjoyed having a GBA flash cart. GBA was a really solid system for it's time, and is still very useful to this time as well. The PSP obviously is more advanced, and there's stuff on it that is impressive, but I was always content with my GBA and flashcart. I always looked at my M3 as a maximizer for my GBA, basically using it to it's full potential.

GBA flash carts are officially dying/dead now though with the EZ4 being gone, being the last flash cart to be made, so if you can't find a used one, then it most likely is time to either be content with using a GBA normally, or get a different device like the PSP or something else.

grindbart New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    i know we're in 2nd half of 2013 now,but who of u got his flashcards delivered?want to get me a EZ-IV as spare for my GBM,but dont know where to buy (in germany they want 60€ for it,much money!)

can some of u dudes help me out?!

thanks in advance!

Count Duckula .

Message Count:
    Australia
    http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html
    http://www.realhotstuff.hk/EZ-Flash-IV-_p_76.html