Hardware building my first pc (steam box/ console killer/slight youtube content creator)

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't like using my brothers gateway desktop pc for gaming... sure it can play skyrim at high settings with all other settings off and can play the danganronpa games perfectly but, I need to demolish my consoles and build myself a goddamn steam machine... here's my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fBLYQV

I want a good build that can demolish things at 1080p and look clean as my wallet after a steam sale yet look as impressive as a library of console game cases... so, can you guys give me your review of this build and how I can improve it... I want to try to keep into a $1,200 budget and I want to keep the form factor, access to Bluetooth/WiFi and, the sleak console like look to the case

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel like you should get at 1070 minimum at your budget.
Do you need the CD writer?
Os from kinguin or pirate?
do I need the cd writer? maybe... I plan on dumping a couple anime series on my hard drive
os is from microsoft themselves... just download the usb tool from their website and you can install windows 10 for free.. idk if I need a register code... idk the benifits of having one anyways... so a usb loading windows 10 will do

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think an I7 6700k is too overkill... an i5 6000k will do... and what's with everyone and the node 202?? it just looks like a metal rounded box to me... the rvz02b by silverstone looks like an actual console to me... but, that's my preference...

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
That is a notebook hd?
The 2TB 2.5" HDD? Well it can be used in most notebooks.

do I need the cd writer? maybe... I plan on dumping a couple anime series on my hard drive
os is from microsoft themselves... just download the usb tool from their website and you can install windows 10 for free.. idk if I need a register code... idk the benifits of having one anyways... so a usb loading windows 10 will do

I think an I7 6700k is too overkill... an i5 6000k will do... and what's with everyone and the node 202?? it just looks like a metal rounded box to me... the rvz02b by silverstone looks like an actual console to me... but, that's my preference...
Well I think most people choose the node 202 since Fractal is a more well known company I guess?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hDRjNN
Adjusted.
Thanks to the Silverstone case, you can get a 2TB 3.5" HDD in there, rather than being limited to the 2.5" size limit. And also a DVD writer.

With the money saved, get a Win10 home/pro license for 28bucks on kinguin etc

Last edited by raystriker,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please please please use the RV-Z02, I've wanted to see a new build in that for a while

Keep in mind though that you need a slim DVD drive and an SFX/L power supply for everything to fit together

Reactions: DarkRioru

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The nvidia 1070 is perfect for your budget, you can get the 1060 6gb if you want to save cash but i think 1070 is good.
Note if you're very patient, amd might release a new cpu for Jan 2017, not confirmed though just rumor. Or else go for the i5 6600k build now if you need it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2TB 2.5" HDD? Well it can be used in most notebooks.

Well I think most people choose the node 202 since Fractal is a more well known company I guess?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hDRjNN
Adjusted.
Thanks to the Silverstone case, you can get a 2TB 3.5" HDD in there, rather than being limited to the 2.5" size limit. And also a DVD writer.

With the money saved, get a Win10 home/pro license for 28bucks on kinguin etc
Is that power supply modular? Otherwise building it is gonna be rough

unlitmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the graphics card front, could also shave a little money and get quite a bit more beef out of a 780ti. A bit older, but therefor cheaper and still more powerful than the 1060, though much less powerful than the 1070 if you were leaning that way now.

I would also recommend looking at something besides the Crucial MX300, terrible speeds. Samsung for expensive but best performance, Transcend is good for cheap but still great performance (generally less than Crucial and more performant). Check out: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ before buying.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
On the graphics card front, could also shave a little money and get quite a bit more beef out of a 780ti. A bit older, but therefor cheaper and still more powerful than the 1060, though much less powerful than the 1070 if you were leaning that way now.

I would also recommend looking at something besides the Crucial MX300, terrible speeds. Samsung for expensive but best performance, Transcend is good for cheap but still great performance (generally less than Crucial and more performant). Check out: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ before buying.
Be careful when you say GTX780ti is faster... It SOME cases it isn't because of the outdated architecture. In the games where GTX780ti does perform better it's only by 2-4fps BUT newer games like DOOM 2016 the GTX1060 destroys the GTX780ti. In DOOM 2016 you get around 60~fps on the GTX780ti where on the GTX1060 you get well above 90~FPS. Less optimized games you can definitively tell that the GTX780ti has aged considerably.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Be careful when you say GTX780ti is faster... It SOME cases it isn't because of the outdated architecture. In the games where GTX780ti does perform better it's only by 2-4fps BUT newer games like DOOM 2016 the GTX1060 destroys the GTX780ti. In DOOM 2016 you get around 60~fps on the GTX780ti where on the GTX1060 you get well above 90~FPS. Less optimized games you can definitively tell that the GTX780ti has aged considerably.
Yup, older cards like the GTX780Ti will lose driver support soon. Makes sense to get the GTX1060 or even the 1070 if budget allows.

unlitmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Interesting, I had no idea. I generally just look at general benchmarks and don't take game-specific optomization into account. Good call!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn