Tutorial  Updated

Building iosuhax on windows

In this tutorial I will go over how to build iosuhax from either my branch (for wupserver only) or dimoks branch (for rednand and signature patches) without having anything related installed yet.

Getting python
The first thing you want to do is download python, for this guide you will click download python 3.5, this will give you the current 3.5 32bit installer of python. If you already have a python 2 installation and you dont want to uninstall for python 3 then skip this step but note that you may have to add the python installation path into the PATH variable yourself if you didnt do that during that installation.
After opening the 3.5 32bit installer make sure to enable "Add Python 3.5 to PATH" because we want to be able to call python from anywhere, now let it install.

Installing pycrypto
To easly install pycrypto we will install it from this github page for the current 3.5 or this page for 2.7 if you have that. Open up a command prompt by for example pressing windows+r and typing in "cmd", in this command prompt you want to enter the following (just copy paste this depending on your python version):
PYTHON 3
Python 3.5 32bit:
Code:
pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://github.com/sfbahr/PyCrypto-Wheels/raw/master/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp35-none-win32.whl pycrypto
Python 3.5 64bit:
Code:
pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://github.com/sfbahr/PyCrypto-Wheels/raw/master/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp35-none-win_amd64.whl pycrypto
PYTHON 2
Python 2.7 32bit:
Code:
pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://bitbucket.org/alexandrul/wheels/downloads/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp27-none-win32.whl pycrypto
Python 2.7 64bit:
Code:
pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://bitbucket.org/alexandrul/wheels/downloads/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl pycrypto
If you have any older python 2/3 version then maybe just consider upgrading to the current version of python 2/3.
This will automatically install pycrypto for your python version, just let it finish up.

Getting devkitARM
Download the devkitpro updater from here and start it up, it will give you quite a few options on things to install, all you need to select is "Minimal System" and "devkitARM", you can uncheck everything else. Now just let it download and install everything.

Getting armips
For armips you can just download my pre-compiled exe and put it into "C:\devkitPro\msys\bin" so it can be directly used on compilation.

Downloading and preparing iosuhax
Depending on what you want head over to my branch or dimoks branch, click on "Clone or download" and if you have git then clone it, if you dont have git just click "Download ZIP" and extract the contents of it into a new folder on your computer. Make sure that new full folder path does not contain any spaces, a wrong path would be "C:\my folder\iosuhax", a correct folder would be "C:\my_folder\iosuhax".

Now if you have "the 2 keys" already you can edit the getfwimg from the little guide below:
Go into the "bin" folder, right click on getfwimg and select "Edit with IDLE", put the 2 keys in like this:
Code:
wiiu_common_key = "D7000000000000000000000000000000"
starbuck_ancast_key = "B5000000000000000000000000000000"
Of course these are not the full keys but only their first 2 digits. Now just save it.
If you dont have "those 2 keys" you can easly get them from your wiiu itself like this without having to edit any scripts:
Go grab otp2sd and start it via the homebrew launcher, it will just restart you and place a otp.bin on your wiiu sd card. Copy that otp.bin one folder above the iosuhax one so in our example let iosuhax be in "C:\my_folder\iosuhax", so you copy otp.bin into "C:\my_folder", iosuhax will find that otp.bin and use it automatically, you dont need to edit any scripts this way.

Now that you finally prepared iosuhax its time to compile it! Shift-right click in the iosuhax main folder, click on "Open command window here" and just type in "make" and press enter, this will get you a fw.img as output which you can put on you sd card root and use in cfw booter! If it failed to compile because of commands being unknown you may have to reboot your computer to make sure it properly installed all of the software.

I hope with this you were able to successfully compile iosuhax, now have fun with it :)

Note by Cyan:
Dimok branch can now build both CFW with and without NAND redirection to SD card, while Fix94 branch only compile a SysNAND CFW.

Fix94 branch : sysNAND. doesn't have latest cfw patches, but fix94 version contain new wupserver command instead.
Dimok branch : sysNAND and redNAND. This branch has currently more features than fix94 branch (allows HBL channel version installation, unrestricted NAND FTP access, NAND to SD dump, FAT32 USB mount support, etc.)

When you are at the compiling step,
fix94 sysNAND, type : make
dimok sysNAND, type : make cfw
dimok redNAND, type : make redNAND
by default, typing only "make" on dimok branch, it will build redNAND

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: Added new compile steps and differences between Fix94 and Dimok branches.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to install Pycrypto gives me an error:
Code:
nopes-Mac:Desktop nope$ pip install --use-wheel --no-index --find-links=https://bitbucket.org/alexandrul/wheels/downloads/pycrypto-2.6.1-cp27-none-win32.whl pycrypto
Collecting pycrypto
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pycrypto (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for pycrypto
nopes-Mac:Desktop nope$
Can someone help? Yes, it did just say "(from versions: )"
Sorry for bump btw

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I installed pycrypto manually and it worked, so maybe you can do the same.
my tutorial to do it is ... somewhere in here
I think I linked it once in that thread.

I'll search and edit if I find it.

edit:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ubru-status-update.445840/page-6#post-6766600

But, I told you for historical and prosperity reason, in case you really need pycrypto for a project.
You know that IOSUHax is the OLD version of haxchi, and there's no real reason to build it anymore? unless you know why you are building a CFW with outdated patches.

Last edited by Cyan,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed pycrypto manually and it worked, so maybe you can do the same.
my tutorial to do it is ... somewhere in here
I think I linked it once in that thread.

I'll search and edit if I find it.

edit:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ubru-status-update.445840/page-6#post-6766600

But, I told you for historical and prosperity reason, in case you really need pycrypto for a project.
You know that IOSUHax is the OLD version of haxchi, and there's no real reason to build it anymore? unless you know why you are building a CFW with outdated patches.
Mocha will occasionally just inexplicably not work. Generally it solves itself after a few tries, and taking out the sd card and blowing in the slot. I just like to be able to use fw.img when that happens.
Also, it doesn't work. On opening the exe, it says, "Could not access the files because they are corrupted." Using The Unarchiver since there's no 7Zip for Mac.

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mocha?
but why are you using Mocha ?

You don't want to install haxchi ?
even if you compile this fw.img it will be older than mocha.

If all you want is CFW without installing haxchi as a channel, you better use another homebrew :
simple signature patcher back to HBL : adds CFW and region free, then reload HBL to launch another homebrew right away (WUP installer for example)
or
simple signature patcher back to sysmenu : adds CFW and region free, then reload system menu to launch a game.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-signature-check-patcher.451138/

Look on appstore to get the version you want.

Mocha is only good if you want redirected NAND, or WUP server. that's all.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mocha?
but why are you using Mocha ?

You don't want to install haxchi ?
even if you compile this fw.img it will be older than mocha.

If all you want is CFW without installing haxchi as a channel, you better use another homebrew :
simple signature patcher back to HBL : adds CFW and region free, then reload HBL to launch another homebrew right away (WUP installer for example)
or
simple signature patcher back to sysmenu : adds CFW and region free, then reload system menu to launch a game.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-signature-check-patcher.451138/

Look on appstore to get the version you want.

Mocha is only good if you want redirected NAND, or WUP server. that's all.
I'm using Mocha so I can have RedNand. Hiperhazz from Nintendo Homebrew Discord told me I should use it. Also, by any chance, do you know how to "reset" or at least remove a RedNand? I already messed mine up by trying to delete 21 GB of games and stuff from it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The user who told you that you should use RedNAND wasn't giving you a very good advice.
RedNAND has issues, vWii is not working, and it's not fully sandboxed. It's mostly a tool for developers to test their hacks before porting them to sysNAND.
there's no reason for the end user to use an unfinished beta product.

To remove redNAND, it's either easy or hard, based on what you really want to do.
The easiest way to stop using redNAND is just to .... Stop using redNAND. Really !
just stop telling Mocha to use NAND redirection. that's all.

The complicated thing happen if you ever used external WiiU HDD, and you want to recover your game and/or savegames.
If you formatted sysNAND/redNAND to unlink them, and use two different external WiiU HDD, it's easier as you won't have any "missing" games on SysNAND's HDD.
If you used the same HDD, with unlinked sys/redNAND, then the HDD shares its keys and content, one NAND has the information that you installed that game and the other NAND doesn't...

I'd suggest that you do all the backup/recover this way, whatever your setup is:
run redNAND
run HBL, and Savemii
backup ALL your savegames to SD card (slot 0 for each game, for example), located on redNAND and HDD.

reboot the console in sysNAND
Reinstall all your games not working from SysNAND (the one you installed while inside redNAND should miss the ticket in sysNAND)
if they are already on HDD, reinstall to HDD (overwrite the files).
If you can't reinstall a game, you will have to delete its data. if it still doesn't allow you to install, you'll probably have to delete the illegal tickets manually (don't ! ask me first)

boot Mocha but without redirected NAND, and launch savemii again.
restore your backups to all your games.

Install CBHC or Haxchi, and don't use Mocha anymore.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The user who told you that you should use RedNAND wasn't giving you a very good advice.
RedNAND has issues, vWii is not working, and it's not fully sandboxed. It's mostly a tool for developers to test their hacks before porting them to sysNAND.
there's no reason for the end user to use an unfinished beta product.

To remove redNAND, it's either easy or hard, based on what you really want to do.
The easiest way to stop using redNAND is just to .... Stop using redNAND. Really !
just stop telling Mocha to use NAND redirection. that's all.

The complicated thing happen if you ever used external WiiU HDD, and you want to recover your game and/or savegames.
If you formatted sysNAND/redNAND to unlink them, and use two different external WiiU HDD, it's easier as you won't have any "missing" games on SysNAND's HDD.
If you used the same HDD, with unlinked sys/redNAND, then the HDD shares its keys and content, one NAND has the information that you installed that game and the other NAND doesn't...

I'd suggest that you do all the backup/recover this way, whatever your setup is:
run redNAND
run HBL, and Savemii
backup ALL your savegames to SD card (slot 0 for each game, for example), located on redNAND and HDD.

reboot the console in sysNAND
Reinstall all your games not working from SysNAND (the one you installed while inside redNAND should miss the ticket in sysNAND)
if they are already on HDD, reinstall to HDD (overwrite the files).
If you can't reinstall a game, you will have to delete its data. if it still doesn't allow you to install, you'll probably have to delete the illegal tickets manually (don't ! ask me first)

boot Mocha but without redirected NAND, and launch savemii again.
restore your backups to all your games.

Install CBHC or Haxchi, and don't use Mocha anymore.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I wanted to use RedNand, the user told me the best way was through Mocha. I already have CBHC installed, so I boot Mocha CFW from the menu when I want to use RedNand. What I want to is to reset my RedNand, or to delete it. Nothing is on the RedNand that is not on the SysNand, so I'd like to simply delete it–nothing will be lost.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so you'd want to delete the hidden partition and let mocha re-create it?

Use Panasonic SD formater (4.0 or 5.0) to format your SD card, it will delete the hidden partition.
then launch Mocha again and it will ask if you want to reformat your SD to re-add a hidden partition.

it's up to you to choose redNAND or not, but like you found it's unstable and not 100% sandboxed, it's more a dev tool to test dangerous homebrew before release, not a end user safe environment.
if you don't do anything dangerous, why not using sysNAND, it will prevent the "???" icons.

Last edited by Cyan,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you'd want to delete the hidden partition and let mocha re-create it?

Use Panasonic SD formater (4.0 or 5.0) to format your SD card, it will delete the hidden partition.
then launch Mocha again and it will ask if you want to reformat your SD to re-add a hidden partition.

it's up to you to choose redNAND or not, but like you found it's unstable and not 100% sandboxed, it's more a dev tool to test dangerous homebrew before release, not a end user safe environment.
if you don't do anything dangerous, why not using sysNAND, it will prevent the "???" icons.
I like to test stuff and mess around. It's interesting for me, and it helps me learn more about how the system works. Thanks.

Yany

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Code:
ARMIPS Assembler v0.8.0 (Oct 31 2016 16:16:15) by Kingcom
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x5000000.s(134) fatal error: File wupserver/wupserver.bin not found
Aborting.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:37: patched_sections/0x5000000.bin] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Yany/Desktop/iosuhax'
make: *** [Makefile:13: cfw] Error 2

Code:
ARMIPS Assembler v0.8.0 (Oct 31 2016 16:16:15) by Kingcom
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x10700000.s(116) error: Invalid ram address
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x10700000.s(118) fatal error: File ios_fs/ios_fs.text.bin not found
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x10700000.s(123) error: Invalid ram address
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x10700000.s(116) error: Undefined label "_text_start"
C:\Users\Yany\Desktop\iosuhax/patches/0x10700000.s(123) error: Undefined label "_bss_start"
Aborting.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:37: patched_sections/0x10700000.bin] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Yany/Desktop/iosuhax'
make: *** [Makefile:10: redNAND] Error 2

Last edited by Yany,

TonyGgse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
got this error:

/bin/sh: bin2s: command not found
arm-none-eabi-ld --script=ccd00.ld -EB -L"/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/arm-none-eabi/lib" -o wupserver.elf build/font.o build/fsa.o build/imports.o build/ipc.o build/launch_image.tga.o build/logger.o build/main.o build/net_ifmgr_ncl.o build/socket.o build/svc.o build/text.o
C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin\arm-none-eabi-ld.exe: build/text.o: in function `drawSplashScreen':
text.c:(.text+0x74): undefined reference to `launch_image_tga'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:45: wupserver.elf] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/Terny/Downloads/dimok789/wupserver'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:29: wupserver/wupserver.bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Terny/Downloads/dimok789'
make: *** [Makefile:13: cfw] Error 2

Last edited by TonyGgse,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...