Hacking browserhax_fright_tx3g crashes Nintendo Switch

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah I guess portability is king in this equation, it's strange though I'm sure I remember the 3ds having a rough initial launch year. I'm probably wrong maybe it didn't.

Whatever the reason though it's great to have a decent launch, I'm sure there are plenty of third party developers on the fence waiting to see sales before committing to releasing games for it.
No you're right. The 3DS was a flop in the first year. What saved it was better games being released and the price drop. I think a lot of people saw really no use to upgrade to the 3DS because they had a DS at the time, and the 3D didn't really excite them. But the more Nintendo games got release such as Super Mario 3D Land it started to sell. I also think the XL version helped a lot because the original screens was tiny!

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly. Do you know why the PS2 sold so well? Because a lot of people played pirated games on the PS1 and wanted to play the sequels which came out on PS2. And most of those people genuinely bought said sequels because the PS2 wasn't hacked yet. And I don't recall the PS1 failing because of piracy either.
I remember propping open my disc housing, watching for a pause on the disc spin, whipping the disc out and sticking a copied disc in and it worked on PS1.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No you're right. The 3DS was a flop in the first year. What saved it was better games being released and the price drop. I think a lot of people saw really no use to upgrade to the 3DS because they had a DS at the time, and the 3D didn't really excite them. But the more Nintendo games got release such as Super Mario 3D Land it started to sell. I also think the XL version helped a lot because the original screens was tiny!
Ah right, it was quite a turn around in the end then really, it's pretty rare to be able to recover from a poor launch year, i'd be interested to know if any other consoles have managed it.

D

Deleted User

a black screen with blue unprintable characters.
that could actually be memory being overwritten with garbage due to the exploit working...
Edit: nope. Misinterpreted the description of what happens when the exploit is run.

Anyway, as people have mentioned with other crashes, since we get the error message the error is handled already, so probably useless.
that is not necessarily true. It could crash AFTER the exploit works because it is trying to run the 3ds exploit code on totally different hardware.

Last edited by ,

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
that could actually be memory being overwritten with garbage due to the exploit working...

that is not necessarily true. It could crash AFTER the exploit works because it is trying to run the 3ds exploit code on totally different hardware.

So probably the web browser is not fixed because they didnt release a proper browser

Edit:everyone who wants hombrew should start blocking updates so they can stay on a not fixed browser

Last edited by Nezztor,

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not that I've tried it out, but that's what I'm thinking it sounds like too.

At least for me the garbage is in the browser-window (just invalid characters being displayed). So it's most likely just webkit displaying what it's told to (which used to result in memory-corruption in older versions) and not memory corrupting.

koziakauzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I remember when DS flash carts came out around 2005/2006. That was only a few years into the lifespan of the DS, and totally killed all interest in the system. Pokémon Black and White were cancelled because of DS piracy.
/s
System did sell, and very well yes, now ask developpers or look at the western developer releases. They all stopped releasing games because of piracy. It is well known. Same thing applies to the wii. Of course Japanese developers kept releasing games because they did sell well among Japanese users and western "niche" jap games enthusiasts.
Games for young kids were also quite well selling because parents from 2005 era who purchased the console for their kids were not tech savvy. Different story for games targeting gbatemp h4x0rz gamerz.

Sent from my SM-G935K

Last edited by koziakauzu,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh NO!!! this is very sad news :sad: I can see the Nintendo Switch going just the way the WiiU did or the Wii for that matter regarding software, this is really terrible news, if its going to be hacked so early on in development. Don't these people realize there just destroying a really promising console by Nintendo? all this early info coming through off hacking will just kill it off and put 3rd party developers right off from making great games like for example maybe a port off Resident Evil 7 by Capcom etc.. that's if it hasn't already.. If they hack it asap it will go the same way as the Wii did all there will be is 1st party titles and very dodgy crappy 3rd party titles from not very well known developers. Do you all remember titles like this on the Wii> "Deal or No Deal" or maybe even worse, "Major Minor’s Majestic March", yes, that's what sort of great games will be left in the end on your Nintendo Switch!
The Wii actually had pretty good 3rd party support, it's just that due to it's immense success it attracted a lot of shovelware, and because it was geared more towards casuals it got a lot of casual games. There were still a good amount of 1st party and 3rd party games geared towards core gamers though, it just might take some searching to find them.

That is true. The fact that it crashes at all (even if it displays an error message) is promising, as if it didn't crash at all we'd know for sure the exploit doesn't work.

Also, to everyone who says it's not exploitable just because an error message appears, that really depends on where the error is handled. If the browser crashes, and then the OS detects it and displays an error message, there's still a chance it could be exploited on the browser level before the OS handles it.
But it's impossible for us to tell just by running 3DS exploit code on a Switch, the code would have to be modified for the Switch and only then can we know if it will work or not.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

At least for me the garbage is in the browser-window (just invalid characters being displayed). So it's most likely just webkit displaying what it's told to (which used to result in memory-corruption in older versions) and not memory corrupting.
OK. I wasnt sure based on the old description. So it looks like the stagefright is the only viable option.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

That error code is the standard "something went wrong" code. People can get it when just booting the Switch up because of something corrupt. This isn't the exploit you're looking for.

D

Deleted User

That error code is the standard "something went wrong" code. People can get it when just booting the Switch up because of something corrupt. This isn't the exploit you're looking for.
As The real jdbye said

Also, to everyone who says it's not exploitable just because an error message appears, that really depends on where the error is handled. If the browser crashes, and then the OS detects it and displays an error message, there's still a chance it could be exploited on the browser level before the OS handles it.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As The real jdbye said

Heres the kicker, how do you get the exploitable code in to the Switch's new security layers? Still, what you're trying to cling too are basically straws. You got to remember that Nintendo might be crappy on security (even MS and Sony is but they patch faster) but do you think they would run an outdated webkit and kernel?

D

Deleted User

System did sell, and very well yes, now ask developpers or look at the western developer releases. They all stopped releasing games because of piracy. It is well known. Same thing applies to the wii. Of course Japanese developers kept releasing games because they did sell well among Japanese users and western "niche" jap games enthusiasts.
Games for young kids were also quite well selling because parents from 2005 era who purchased the console for their kids were not tech savvy. Different story for games targeting gbatemp h4x0rz gamerz.

Sent from my SM-G935K
Can we talk about this speculation somewhere else?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Heres the kicker, how do you get the exploitable code in to the Switch's new security layers? Still, what you're trying to cling too are basically straws. You got to remember that Nintendo might be crappy on security (even MS and Sony is but they patch faster) but do you think they would run an outdated webkit and kernel?
We already know the webkit is outdated

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We already know the webkit is outdated
of course, but compared to the socalled exploit, don't you think they checked all this before the release? I think some devs would be pretty disappointed if they didn't. Remember that the Switch is under the bugbounty as well.
Do please look up the error code. It have something to do with in the system, such as an app crashing (hench the code), the wifi itself not working or some other module not responding as it suppose to.

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
of course, but compared to the socalled exploit, don't you think they checked all this before the release? I think some devs would be pretty disappointed if they didn't. Remember that the Switch is under the bugbounty as well.
Do please look up the error code. It have something to do with in the system, such as an app crashing (hench the code), the wifi itself not working or some other module not responding as it suppose to.

Smea already said that he is not interested in bug bounty for example,if the switch is a 3ds rewritten os probably we can test some exploits of the 3DS

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Smea already said that he is not interested in bug bounty for example,if the switch is a 3ds rewritten os probably we can test some exploits of the 3DS
I bet they got some unreleased exploits they might be trying. I know about Smea since their bug bounty isn't garanteed to payout. We normal leechers just have to wait for the pros to poke on the system to know more.

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I bet they got some unreleased exploits they might be trying. I know about Smea since their bug bounty isn't garanteed to payout. We normal leechers just have to wait for the pros to poke on the system to know more.

Yes I was reading the other day that smea has some exploits unreleased for the last os of 3DS ,we should wait to some one of gba test our theory about making some changes to the exploits and make them "switch compatible"

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes I was reading the other day that smea has some exploits unreleased for the last os of 3DS ,we should wait to some one of gba test our theory about making some changes to the exploits and make them "switch compatible"
{
if Switch;
do plzhaxwork;
}

Reactions: Nezztor

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I guess portability is king in this equation, it's strange though I'm sure I remember the 3ds having a rough initial launch year. I'm probably wrong maybe it didn't.

Whatever the reason though it's great to have a decent launch, I'm sure there are plenty of third party developers on the fence waiting to see sales before committing to releasing games for it.
It did. Mainly because it had absolutely zero system sellers at launch. There was Nintendogs, Rayman 3D, Pilotwings, Super Monkey Ball 3D and that was pretty much it. At least it came with some semi-decent games, AR Games was fun and Face Raiders was at least fun for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night