Hacking Bricking a Wii with Wiikey

Tiyuri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm just getting into the whole modchip scene, taking a look at various options and let me tell you - finding correct information is not easy, there's a hell of a lot of misinformation out there and many sites have completely conflicting reviews.

What I really want to know is though, can the Wiikey brick the Wii? I've heard that if you install the wrong firmware update with a new game (smash bros/galaxy?) your Wii can be bricked, is this true? If not how does bricking actually occur? Is it fixable?

Once the chip is fully installed, how much hassle is it actually playing backed up games? Will I have to jump through hoops? Mess about ejecting and reloading CDs?

Any information on the actual experience I'm likely to receive out of installing one of these would be much appreciated. Should I wait for the scene to grow up a bit before I take the plunge?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not that the Wiikey itself is bricking the Wii, it's the firmware update that is - but you'll be perfectly fine if you play games only within your Wii's region, even if they are backups.

For most other region games, updating to the latest firmware will prevent the game from even launching an update. However, some new games like SSBB will still prompt you.

In SSBB's particular case, the update is pretty safe except for the fact that you will get duplicate Japanese news and weather channels (impossible to remove for the time being). Unless you use the 15% trick that is (please search to find out what this is).

For other games, especially third party games, Wii Brick Blocker will successfully remove the update and the game will still run without any update whatsoever.

Keep in mind that these precautions are only for other region games, if you stick with games naturally compatible with your Wii's region you'll be fine.

Tiyuri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that the Wiikey itself is bricking the Wii, it's the firmware update that is - but you'll be perfectly fine if you play games only within your Wii's region, even if they are backups.

For most other region games, updating to the latest firmware will prevent the game from even launching an update. However, some new games like SSBB will still prompt you.

In SSBB's particular case, the update is pretty safe except for the fact that you will get duplicate Japanese news and weather channels (impossible to remove for the time being). Unless you use the 15% trick that is (please search to find out what this is).

For other games, especially third party games, Wii Brick Blocker will successfully remove the update and the game will still run without any update whatsoever.

Keep in mind that these precautions are only for other region games, if you stick with games naturally compatible with your Wii's region you'll be fine.

Thank you for the first straight response on this issue I've managed to recieve!

Is there any particular reason why a Brick Blocker has not been made available for smash bros yet? Is it just a matter of time, or? Also, if I wanted to go about playing the current SSBB release without installing the update, how would I do that? Is there any way to keep my Wii updated to the latest firmware manually (without a game) so I can play games from any region without concern?

Is burning backups easy? or is the Wii very particular on media?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Is there any particular reason why a Brick Blocker has not been made available for smash bros yet?
It will work with Brickblocker. The game just will not boot with just a Brickblockering, as it needs some components of it - you must update to some extent.

QUOTE said:
Also, if I wanted to go about playing the current SSBB release without installing the update, how would I do that?
As I said you need to update to some extent, search for the 15% trick.

Is there any way to keep my Wii updated to the latest firmware manually (without a game) so I can play games from any region without concern?
A Wii Firmware update option is in the settings menu. Just make sure your Wii has access to the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots