Hacking Bricked N3DSXL won't boot ntrboot

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Is the magnet strong enough to trigger sleep mode on another 3DS? Also, remember to hold Start, Select and X before pressing and holding Power.

Yep, I've tested it on my regular 3DS XL which is running the latest Luma. Screen turns straight off. Unfortunately, since my New 3DS XL doesn't boot into anything, I can't really test if the magnet is working aside from having it boot what I'm doing using 3ds.guide.

I've tried holding them and then pressing and holding Power as well as pressing and holding them all at the same time, no result :(

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Darn. Have you opened it up at all? Dropped it? Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is an mcr brick, which is almost always not worth repairing.

I can't think of any time I've dropped it, and the most I've opened it is the back panel to get to the SD card slot. I guess it could be an mcr brick, but wouldn't it just not turn on at all in that case?

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't think of any time I've dropped it, and the most I've opened it is the back panel to get to the SD card slot. I guess it could be an mcr brick, but wouldn't it just not turn on at all in that case?
I’m not sure. Never dealt with one, although I suspect that you are correct. The only advice I can give at this point is to reformat both sd cards (back up the contents of the one in your 3ds) and try downloading everything again.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I’m not sure. Never dealt with one, although I suspect that you are correct. The only advice I can give at this point is to reformat both sd cards (back up the contents of the one in your 3ds) and try downloading everything again.
It won’t be the fault of any file on the console's SD card because then the console would turn on then off (ntrboot working but not finding the right file).

I think it is that sleep mode is not working (since OP already tried holding Start Select and X for a few seconds after pressing power). Just try with lots of magnets everywhere, or you can try using paddlepop sticks to press the buttons while the lid is nearly closed (I have had success twice doing this, but easier with a second person to help).

Another possibility is that the game slot doesn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You might try this. It will downgrade your n3ds to 9.2.0 cfw (cfw because it already has b9s). If you want a higher firmware you will have to update your n3ds again.

https://quantumcat1.github.io/9.2.0-ctrtransfer.html
Lol with merge conflicts and everything

Last edited by Quantumcat,

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Darn. Have you opened it up at all? Dropped it? Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is an mcr brick, which is almost always not worth repairing.
there is no such thing as an "mcr" brick
you are most likely referring to "mcu" brick, not "mcr". also, if it was actually an mcu brick, it wouldn't turn on at all. OP's case is not an mcu brick as they get a static blue light on boot

Yep, I've tested it on my regular 3DS XL which is running the latest Luma. Screen turns straight off. Unfortunately, since my New 3DS XL doesn't boot into anything, I can't really test if the magnet is working aside from having it boot what I'm doing using 3ds.guide.

I've tried holding them and then pressing and holding Power as well as pressing and holding them all at the same time, no result :(
try to get a stronger magnet and try again

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no such thing as an "mcr" brick
you are most likely referring to "mcu" brick, not "mcr". also, if it was actually an mcu brick, it wouldn't turn on at all. OP's case is not an mcu brick as they get a static blue light on boot

try to get a stronger magnet and try again
You are correct, I did make a typo. Sorry about that.

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It was the magnet! The one I was using was strong enough for my 3DS XL, but not the New 3DS XL. I can now boot into the GodMode 9 and Luma menus.

I've followed the steps on 3ds.guide all the way up to the Finalizing Setup section, but I'm getting an error when trying to boot up. I've attached a picture as well as an upload of the crash dump itself.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.zip
    487 bytes · Views: 65
  • IMG20171227201933.jpg
    IMG20171227201933.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 250
Reactions: wormdood

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It was the magnet! The one I was using was strong enough for my 3DS XL, but not the New 3DS XL. I can now boot into the GodMode 9 and Luma menus.

I've followed the steps on 3ds.guide all the way up to the Finalizing Setup section, but I'm getting an error when trying to boot up. I've attached a picture as well as an upload of the crash dump itself.
Try deleting home menu extdata https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

Reactions: wormdood

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Try deleting home menu extdata https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

I've given remove_extdata.gm9 a try - in the guide it says to try booting up without the SD card and then insterting it once it's booted up, but my 3DS just shuts off after a second when I do that. I tried doing it with the SD card in first, which lets me successfully get all the way through applying the script, but I get an error. Image is attached.

Attachments

• IMG20171228001557.jpg
    IMG20171228001557.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 467

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've given remove_extdata.gm9 a try - in the guide it says to try booting up without the SD card and then insterting it once it's booted up, but my 3DS just shuts off after a second when I do that. I tried doing it with the SD card in first, which lets me successfully get all the way through applying the script, but I get an error. Image is attached.
If the console shuts off without the SD card that means you didn't copy boot.firm to CTR-NAND. Make sure you did all of https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup (the section you missed is Section VI).
I don't know why the script failed though :-/

Last edited by Quantumcat,

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oops, thank you! That worked successfully. Now I just need to figure out why I'm getting this data abort error and why deleting the extdata doesn't work.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Oops, thank you! That worked successfully. Now I just need to figure out why I'm getting this data abort error and why deleting the extdata doesn't work.

Try a second SDcard with just the luma boot.firm on it (or temporarily rename the nintendo 3ds folder)

This is so we can find out if it's a problem with the SD data or with the actual firmware on 3ds nand

curlyburl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Try a second SDcard with just the luma boot.firm on it (or temporarily rename the nintendo 3ds folder)

This is so we can find out if it's a problem with the SD data or with the actual firmware on 3ds nand

Just gave it a go, I'm getting the same error screen. I'm guessing it's the latter? I do have backups of my NAND.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
perhaps you can try a ctr-transfer, I think there are 11.6 ones around.
that should update you to 11.6 and fix any broken files...

be sure to use the right region.

Reactions: curlyburl

remix2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gave it a go, I'm getting the same error screen. I'm guessing it's the latter? I do have backups of my NAND.
Try using GodMode9 to restore one of your NAND backups. If you are able to ntrboot from the flashcart then you can fix any issue with the firmware. I’ve even fixed a n3ds xl that someone bricked any flashing a 2ds nand backup. I didn’t have the n3ds xl nand backups.

Reactions: curlyburl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.