Bricked N3DSXL won't boot ntrboot

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by curlyburl, Dec 6, 2017.

1. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    I've got a New 3DS XL here which has been bricked for over a year. I don't recall exactly what I did, but it was when I was much less competent at CFW - I think I updated the OFW accidentally while setting up CFW. In any case, it's stuck with two black screens when I turn it on, and it was suggested that I buy the R4i Gold 3DS Plus and use ntrboot to get it working again.

Well, a year later I finally bought one, and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I made sure to switch to the N mode, I put all the files + folders on the micro SD (and put that in the 3DS as well as the cart), I have a magnet which I'm 99.9% sure I'm putting in the right place (right below the ABXY buttons, and I've experimented with moving it around anyway), I'm holding X + Select + Start and then turning it on. It just turns on with the blue light and both screens are blank as if I didn't have the R4i cart.

Is there something I'm probably doing wrong? Or have I been mislead and I'm going to need to hardmod?

2. MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller GBATemp's Tiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere in the Depths of Space
    OK, so ntrboot is flashed to the Flashcart right? (Switch to the N mode.)

Make sure that the boot.firm is at the root of the 3ds sd card. (Make sure to have SafeB9Sinstaller as boot.firm.)

Put the magnet on and hold Start + Select + X + Power. It should boot.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh and can you send a picture of the front of the Flashcart.

3. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Here are the official instructions. As stated above, you have to hold power as well.

MrMcTiller likes this.
  4. MrMcTiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    Lol... I was just about to link that. :rofl2:

5. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    Yep, that's right! Here's a picture of the board itself to show that it's in the left (N) position.

[​IMG]

And here's the front of the cart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's the guide I followed, what's on my SD card is from the links they provided :) sorry for not phrasing it clearer, I have been holding Power + Select + Start + X and waiting for anything to show up - but nothing!

Last edited by curlyburl, Dec 6, 2017
    MrMcTiller likes this.
  6. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Which SD card did you put the files on? The SD in the 3ds or the one in your flashcard? The boot.firm file should be on the 3DS card the micro SD slot on the card is useless in ntrboot mode.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oops missed that are you sure the internal SD isn't corrupt?

MrMcTiller likes this.
  7. MrMcTiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    If that doesn't work, you can use another 3ds to flash NTRBoot to the flashcart while it is in N mode. ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP OF THE FLASHCART

8. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    The files are on the SD card put into the SD slot in the 3DS itself :) is there some way I can make sure it's not corrupt? I formatted it fresh before I went through with this.

I guess I could give that a try! It's a brand new flashcart that arrived only hours ago, but I guess there's a chance it's messed up out of the box?

9. MrMcTiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    Or The switch doesn't work

10. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    I guess one way to tell if the switch doesn’t work would be to get the flashcart working normally, then toggling the switch. But you probably already know that.

11. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    I just tested the R4i on my working 3DS (regular 3DS XL). It works in flashcart mode (comes up in the main menu as a Konami game), and then I tested it in NTRboot mode and it got to the NTRboot screen without me even having to do the magnet + button combo. So it looks like there's nothing wrong with my R4i. Could it maybe be something wrong with my microSD? I wouldn't have thought so, because it shows up just fine in my PC and lets me put files on it...

12. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    @curlyburl Check that the SD that's going into your 3DS is formatted to FAT32.

13. curlyburl
    OP

curlyburl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    New Zealand
    I'm afraid so :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the card I'm using, for reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]