Hacking Bricked my Wii (it boots to black screen)

SuperBaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I believe I may have bricked my Wii while I was messing around with forwarders (I wanted to boot directly into an usb loader, so I wouldn't have to bother with Wiimotes anymore).
I think my Wii was version 4.1E, I have bootmii on boot2 (I'm pretty sure of it), and I have a NAND backup from just a bit before the brick. I also had priiloader installed, but I'm not sure if it matters.

I'm quite confused by the steps I should take to try to fix it (if possible even?). Could someone point me in the right directions? I would very much appreciated it. Thank you.

Reactions: CatmanFan

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
I think there's a solution to this. Hold Reset on your Wii when it boots up until the Priiloader menu appears, and then go to BootMii IOS and press A. If you don't have BootMii IOS, just look for some way to get BootMii (boot2) working on your Wii. Afterwards, connect a GameCube controller and use the D-Pad to select the gears icon, and press A. Go to the "SD-to-NAND chip" icon with the red arrow depicted then press A. This will start a simulation restore before prompting the user to do the real restore. If you have BootMii as boot2, it will tell you it's OK to proceed with the restoring process. Otherwise, if you have BootMii as IOS, it will warn you that it's too dangerous to proceed, and it will prompt you to press A+B+X+Y (or the Konami code in recent versions) on your GameCube controller before starting the simulation restore. Once the simulation restore process is done, press Start on your GameCube controller (or Eject on your Wii console) to start the real restore process. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR SD CARD OR THE POWER BUTTON DURING THIS PROCESS. Once the process is finally done (it will take a somehow long time), it will prompt you to press any button to exit. You're good to go :)

P.S.: This was all I could explain, but close enough.

Reactions: SuperBaker

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much for your reply CatmanFan. I will try this tomorrow after work and report back once I've done it!
You can also use modmii to download/generate the files required for bootmii as boot2. Launch it (ModMii, not ModMiiSkin), type C and hit enter, then BM, then choose your video mode, then O, then Y, then Y again. Once it downloads everything just copy the bootmii folder to your sd card (if modmii didn't put it there by default).

Now when you start you wii with that sd card inserted it should launch directly into bootmii.

SuperBaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

None of the two methods worked. For the first one, suggested by @CatmanFan, holding the reset button during the boot sequence doesn't bring up the Priiloader menu. It just stays on the black screen.
As for your suggestion, @person66, I got ModMii, did what you've suggested, but when ModMii is supposed to download the required files, it doesn't. It generates the bootmii.ini, but it doesn't download the required files. It tells me to check if I have enough space on my drive (I have about 500GB free). I tried running it as an administrator, same result. I don't know what files it's supposed to download, maybe armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf? Because I already have those into my BootMii folder on my SD card.

Still thank you both very much for the help so far!

EDIT: Okay, so I've been rebooting my Wii holding the Reset button for like 20 times, and it ended up loading Priiloader. I have honestly no idea what was going on earlier. I should be fine now. It's restoring the backup NAND right now. Thank you for your help. And I'm sorry this is a very hazy solution. Sounds more like a stroke of luck/unluck.

Last edited by SuperBaker,
Reactions: CatmanFan

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Hello,

None of the two methods worked. For the first one, suggested by @CatmanFan, holding the reset button during the boot sequence doesn't bring up the Priiloader menu. It just stays on the black screen.
As for your suggestion, @person66, I got ModMii, did what you've suggested, but when ModMii is supposed to download the required files, it doesn't. It generates the bootmii.ini, but it doesn't download the required files. It tells me to check if I have enough space on my drive (I have about 500GB free). I tried running it as an administrator, same result. I don't know what files it's supposed to download, maybe armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf? Because I already have those into my BootMii folder on my SD card.

Still thank you both very much for the help so far!

EDIT: Okay, so I've been rebooting my Wii holding the Reset button for like 20 times, and it ended up loading Priiloader. I have honestly no idea what was going on earlier. I should be fine now. It's restoring the backup NAND right now. Thank you for your help. And I'm sorry this is a very hazy solution. Sounds more like a stroke of luck/unluck.
Good to know, thanks and you're welcome :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.