Hacking BootMii and Backing up NAND.... Bad Blocks?

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I modded a Wii with NeoGamma and installed BootMii as Boot2, it didn't load up so I installed it as an IOS and was able to access it through HBC.

I get there and go to back up the NAND. So the process goes as normal but there are over 16 bad blocks (black blocks) when BootMii was backing up the NAND.

My question is what do these exactly mean and how harmful are they to the system? I want to continue and install Preloader and CIOSCorp and the CIOS60BF.wad but I am afraid that when I brick the Wii (and then reinstall preloader to unbrick it) the HBC will not load (it has happened to me before and I had to switch sysmenu to IOS249 luckily that worked and I was able to unbrick).

If anyone has any insight that would be great.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Almost every Wii is manufactured with at least some bad blocks. It's nothing to worry about as long as it's a "factory bad block". If BootMii encounters "ECC errors" while doing the backup, that's not very good, because it means part of your NAND went bad after manufacturing, potentially destroying vital data.

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Helsionium said:
Almost every Wii is manufactured with at least some bad blocks. It's nothing to worry about as long as it's a "factory bad block". If BootMii encounters "ECC errors" while doing the backup, that's not very good, because it means part of your NAND went bad after manufacturing, potentially destroying vital data.
All were factory bad blocks. Is there any reason why the BootMii only loads through IOS and not when I have the SD card in the Wii? I installed it as boot2 successfully.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sajiko said:
So I modded a Wii with NeoGamma and installed BootMii as Boot2, it didn't load up so I installed it as an IOS and was able to access it through HBC.

I get there and go to back up the NAND. So the process goes as normal but there are over 16 bad blocks (black blocks) when BootMii was backing up the NAND.

My question is what do these exactly mean and how harmful are they to the system? I want to continue and install Preloader and CIOSCorp and the CIOS60BF.wad but I am afraid that when I brick the Wii (and then reinstall preloader to unbrick it) the HBC will not load (it has happened to me before and I had to switch sysmenu to IOS249 luckily that worked and I was able to unbrick).

Yea if they are factory bad blocks they should not be a problem, I believe it is still within factory standards to have up to even 80 bad blocks, but usually there are between like 5-20ish.

Also, you should not have to deal with any CIOS60BF.wad anymore. If you really want to deal with CIOSCORP at all there is absolutely no reason for you to not use the most recent version which is 3.3 at the moment. That should install everything of CIOSCORP that you need and not mess with preloader either because it installs an IOS with the same patch that preloader does to the system menu IOS's so it shouldn't cause the system menu corrupt message.

And if you were able to install bootmii to boot2, you really should look into getting that to work first. If your Wii flashes an extra couple of times if you turn it on without an SD card, then it should be successfully installed to boot2. If it doesn't load bootmii on startup, it's because of the SD card. If your SD card is listed as compatible on the bootmii compatibility list, you can try backing up the stuff on your card to your computer and then using the SD card formatter tool which you can find in the downloads section here or in the bootmii section of my guide in my sig (the compatibility list is there too), and then put just the bootmii folder back on the card and try again. Otherwise you should get an SD card that IS compatible with bootmii and use that card instead at least to make the NAND backup.

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
Sajiko said:

Yea if they are factory bad blocks they should not be a problem, I believe it is still within factory standards to have up to even 80 bad blocks, but usually there are between like 5-20ish.

Also, you should not have to deal with any CIOS60BF.wad anymore. If you really want to deal with CIOSCORP at all there is absolutely no reason for you to not use the most recent version which is 3.3 at the moment. That should install everything of CIOSCORP that you need and not mess with preloader either because it installs an IOS with the same patch that preloader does to the system menu IOS's so it shouldn't cause the system menu corrupt message.

And if you were able to install bootmii to boot2, you really should look into getting that to work first. If your Wii flashes an extra couple of times if you turn it on without an SD card, then it should be successfully installed to boot2. If it doesn't load bootmii on startup, it's because of the SD card. If your SD card is listed as compatible on the bootmii compatibility list, you can try backing up the stuff on your card to your computer and then using the SD card formatter tool which you can find in the downloads section here or in the bootmii section of my guide in my sig (the compatibility list is there too), and then put just the bootmii folder back on the card and try again. Otherwise you should get an SD card that IS compatible with bootmii and use that card instead at least to make the NAND backup.

You sound like a Wii-God. Can you PM me details on where to find 3.3 CIOScorp / all this preloader info? I have purchased probably 3-5 SD cards trying to make BootMii work!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sajiko said:
nabster92 said:
Sajiko said:

You sound like a Wii-God. Can you PM me details on where to find 3.3 CIOScorp / all this preloader info? I have purchased probably 3-5 SD cards trying to make BootMii work!

Just look in the guide in my sig (

Reactions: ratmandom

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sajiko said:
Is there a link to the CIOSCorp 3.3 there? I couldn't find one.

There is a link to the most recent version of every application listed there in the subject title for each application.

Edit: Though for CIOSCORP it seems he can't post a direct link to it in his thread so just look at the end of the thread and email that account he posted or PM someone to ask for it. I don't have it/use it since I use a USB loader so I can't send it to you myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb