Homebrew Boot "Flashcart OS" homebrew in DSi mode?

bobrocks95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this fits better in the flash cart section.

Given the official death of the DSi shop on Friday, I'm researching my options on booting DSiWare (which I'd much rather play on my DSi XL than my 3DS)

Using the Biggest Loser and wifi loading exploits, would it be possible to load Flashcart OS in DSi mode? That's the only .nds launcher I know of, maybe there's another? Presumably only small homebrew can be sent over wifi, so some sort of loader is necessary.

I'm not optimistic as I would think if it works someone would have done it already, but then again all focus has shifted to the 3DS, so nobody's really messing around with the DSi any more.

bobrocks95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSi cartridge games probably don't have access to NAND, which would make running DSiWare impossible.

That makes enough sense. Did DSiWare not work via SD Card?

Just homebrew

Sorry to be difficult on this point, but does an nds launcher not count as homebrew? Or are you just saying booting an nds from the SD card won't work after getting into a launcher?

bobrocks95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, DSiWare had to be installed to NAND. NAND and SD are accessed pretty much the same way on DSi though.

So even using the iEvolution flashcart on an old system version wouldn't let you boot DSiWare since it wasn't on the NAND? I would think a backup loader wouldn't care about that if it was decrypted as an nds file?

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
So even using the iEvolution flashcart on an old system version wouldn't let you boot DSiWare since it wasn't on the NAND? I would think a backup loader wouldn't care about that if it was decrypted as an nds file?

Doesn't work that way. DSiWare is hardcoded to read from NAND and retail games are hardcoded to read from the cartridge slot.
The games run on bare metal without any OS, so there's no way to spoof or redirect access to the ROM without manually patching the game. That's complex, take a look at nds-bootstrap or classic slot-2 flashcards.

Reactions: Ryccardo

bobrocks95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't work that way. DSiWare is hardcoded to read from NAND and retail games are hardcoded to read from the cartridge slot.
The games run on bare metal without any OS, so there's no way to spoof or redirect access to the ROM without manually patching the game. That's complex, take a look at nds-bootstrap or classic slot-2 flashcards.

I guess I don't realize how nice we have it with modern systems with redNAND and all that. So DSiWare on an actual DSi is probably dead forever, huh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8