Gaming Blu-Rays always letterboxed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, even though I have and HDTV and the PS3 hooked up through HDMI, my Blu-Rays are always letterboxed and it looks really stupid. I prefer watching the upscaled DVDs because there is no noticeable difference since the viewing area on the Blu-Rays is so damn small. Is there a way I can get them fullscreen and actually enjoy watching them?

Reactions: PityOnU

Linkinwormm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
umm, you understand that films are recorded at 21:9 ratio so they will be letterboxed on disc? the only time you get full frame films is when the director remasters the film to full frame viewing like avatar. this isnt a ps3 issue

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, majority of films are recorded around 2.40:1 aspect ratio. This is the aspect ratio used in theater. Blu-ray makers add black bars to the top and the bottom to make it centered at 16:9 aspect ratio. If they didn't, TV would've stretch the image, making person appeared in the film "thinner".

Hence a 1920x1080 Blu ray can be cropped down to 1920x800.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
sony bravias have a option to remove the borders thank god, i don't like them at all, i like a full screen picture, i don't like the fact that blu rays have a letterboxed image, i guess that is one feature that is good about dvds.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Film aspect ratios:
2:35/1 which would be very wide screen.
1:85/1 which most films have
16/9 which is the IMAX format and full screen on your TV - usually only available on blurays when the director crops teh image, that means you lose parts of the image on the sides.
i personally prefer the 1:85/1 option but that is just me.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather have the black bars than either of the two alternatives, cropping out a portion of the image by zooming in or futzing with the aspect ratio and making everything look stretched.

sony bravias have a option to remove the borders thank god, i don't like them at all, i like a full screen picture, i don't like the fact that blu rays have a letterboxed image, i guess that is one feature that is good about dvds.

I'm super glad blurays show things in the right ratio, and also that they don't put out "fullscreen" and "widescreen" versions like they used to with DVD. So annoying to pick up a DVD off the store shelf then realize you grabbed the one with half the picture missing.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm super glad blurays show things in the right ratio, and also that they don't put out "fullscreen" and "widescreen" versions like they used to with DVD. So annoying to pick up a DVD off the store shelf then realize you grabbed the one with half the picture missing.

DVD uses a techniques called anamorphic. VIdeos are intentionally encoded with the wrong aspect ration, knowing that it will be corrected when TV stretches the image.

For example, in 720 x 480 DVD player would instruct TV to stretch the video into 720 x 540 (4:3 fullscreen), or 853 x 480 (16:9 widescreen).

DVD only allows 720 x 480 or 704 x 480 for 480i. Due to space constraint, anamorphic is used to deliver the right aspect ratio.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, even though I have and HDTV and the PS3 hooked up through HDMI, my Blu-Rays are always letterboxed and it looks really stupid. I prefer watching the upscaled DVDs because there is no noticeable difference since the viewing area on the Blu-Rays is so damn small. Is there a way I can get them fullscreen and actually enjoy watching them?

I know those feels, bro.

Unfortunately, most Blu-Ray's aren't actually 1080p even though the image is 1920 wide.

It's super fucking annoying because my family always had fullscreen CRT's so I always had to watch letterboxed DVD's. I finally upgraded to a huge HDTV earlier this year and went and got some Blu-Ray's thinking "Boy, I'm sure glad I won't have to see those black bars anymore".

Hook it up to watch a film and holy fuckballs Blu-Ray is wider than widescreen.

Fuck you film industry. Are you fucking kidding me?

Reactions: jalaneme

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fuck you film industry. Are you fucking kidding me?
I said it in the previous reply, theater uses 21:9 (2.35:1, 2.39:1, 2.40:1 etc). That is why there is black bar because 16:9 ain't 21:9. You would've to stretch the image vertically to eliminate black bars, but each person in the film will appeared "thinner".

Other option is to buy 21:9 monitors or TVs.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said it in the previous reply, theater uses 21:9 (2.35: 1, 2.39:1, 2.40:1 etc). That is why there is black bar because 16:9 ain't 21:9. You would've to stretch the image vertically to eliminate black bars, but each person in the film will appeared "thinner".

Other option is to buy 21:9 monitors or TVs.

OR the director and his crew could go through the source and selectively crop the images so that they fill a 16:9 screen without losing any important imagery required for the film.

Am I the only one that remembers this intro on VHS films?

modifiedtofit.jpg

I mean, seriously, how many people actually own a device with a 21:9 aspect ratio?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OR the director and his crew could go through the source and selectively crop the images so that they fill a 16:9 screen without losing any important imagery required for the film.
I agree. Actually on films like Dark Knight the Bluray release contains mix of 21:9 and re-filmed 16:9 scenes.

You have to understand that since theaters use 21:9 while broadcast use 16:9, it is hard to get a solution that doesn't piss off one side.

Reactions: PityOnU

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Actually on films like Dark Knight the Bluray release contains mix of 21:9 and re-filmed 16:9 scenes.

You have to understand that since theaters use 21:9 while broadcast use 16:9, it is hard to get a solution that doesn't piss off one side.

Yeah, I understand. :(

It just makes me mad and sad at the same time.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The 16:9 scenes on Dark Knight are the ones filmed with Imax cameras.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/faq?ref_=tt_faq_sm#.2.1.100

'On the blu-ray DVD edition of the film, they are shown in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio -- any time you don't see the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen, that's an IMAX scene.'

There is a solution that doesn't piss off one side. Use the zoom functions on the tv. Put films out in their original aspect and if people want to distort/cut off parts of the picture, then that is down to them.

Reactions: driverdis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night