Hacking Blu Ray playback activation

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bought a PS4 a way back after hearing about the 1.76 exploit. (waiting for a backup loader obviously)

Since nothing much seems to be going on, and I have no games to play I decided to checkout if blu ray playback is any better than on the PS3. Updated from 1.75 to 1.76 then went to test the Blu Ray.

Much to my dismay I got a message that I need to connect once to the internet to "activate" it. As you can imagine, that´s not going to happen.

Anyway I can bypass this? I´ve read North American users can order an activation disc, but I´m in Europe. I´m fairly sure that some hackers can probably change the disc drive to whatever region or region free if they want right now, but I´m not nearly qualified. If anyone has a solution, or a European activation disc they can loan out, please share.

I also read that Sony isn´t going to "activate" 3D Blu Ray. Surely this must be possible though?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
You can use the webkit exploit to enable the PS4 debug menu, from there you can activate two video codecs (MPEG2 and VC-1) which allow the Blu-ray player to function.

After doing that you should be able to play any Blu-ray released before September 2014, possibly for a few months after that too.

The problem you will find with newer Blu-ray's is the AACS encryption key needs updating for the PS4 to be able to decrypt newer Blu-ray's. However I can confirm older Blu-rays will play just fine.

I'm making my router redirect manuals.playstation.net to ps4.insanenutter.com, so when i go "settings > user guide" on the ps4 it loads my mirror of the PS4 playground.

From there I can then easily load Linux from a USB hard drive or enable the PS4 debug options / FTP server.

Last edited by InsaneNutter,

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can use the webkit exploit to enable the PS4 debug menu, from there you can activate two video codecs (MPEG2 and VC-1) which allow the Blu-ray player to function.

After doing that you should be able to play any Blu-ray released before September 2014, possibly for a few months after that too.

The problem you will find with newer Blu-ray's is the AACS encryption key needs updating for the PS4 to be able to decrypt newer Blu-ray's. However I can confirm older Blu-rays will play just fine.

I'm making my router redirect manuals.playstation.net to ps4.insanenutter.com, so when i go "settings > user guide" on the ps4 it loads my mirror of the PS4 playground.

From there I can then easily load Linux from a USB hard drive or enable the PS4 debug options / FTP server.

Thanks for tip! Sounds like that wil take me a while. If I get some extra time, I will try and figure it out.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Thanks for tip! Sounds like that wil take me a while. If I get some extra time, I will try and figure it out.

You can break out of manuals.playstation.net without messing about with your router, there's a link somewhere to YouTube, which you can use to get to Google and then search for a link to the PS4 Playground. If you don't wish to mess with Linux you could spend a few minutes doing that as a one off and use the debug settings to enable MPEG2 and VC-1, however if you wan't to exploit the PS4 often then it's worth spending a bit of time making things easier for yourself.

Edit - I have created a tutorial which should hopefully get you started.

PlayStation 4 (PS4) 1.76 Hacking – A Beginners Guide To PS4 Hacks and Homebrew

Last edited by InsaneNutter,
Reactions: Deleted-355425

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can break out of manuals.playstation.net without messing about with your router, there's a link somewhere to YouTube, which you can use to get to Google and then search for a link to the PS4 Playground. If you don't wish to mess with Linux you could spend a few minutes doing that as a one off and use the debug settings to enable MPEG2 and VC-1, however if you wan't to exploit the PS4 often then it's worth spending a bit of time making things easier for yourself.

Edit - I have created a tutorial which should hopefully get you started.

PlayStation 4 (PS4) 1.76 Hacking – A Beginners Guide To PS4 Hacks and Homebrew

Thanks for pointing me to your tutorial. I can´t get the playground to work though. It looks to me that it´s trying to go straight into linux instead of letting me choose what I would like to do (enable debugging).

The PS4 tells me I don´t have enough system memory and hangs on a white page. The address at that time is http://dxstudio.re/ps4linux/ .

I don´t think I did anything wrong, I used the easy version of setting up the playground and it seemed pretty straight forward. Very well done by the way.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Thanks for pointing me to your tutorial. I can´t get the playground to work though. It looks to me that it´s trying to go straight into linux instead of letting me choose what I would like to do (enable debugging).

The PS4 tells me I don´t have enough system memory and hangs on a white page. The address at that time is http://dxstudio.re/ps4linux/ .

I don´t think I did anything wrong, I used the easy version of setting up the playground and it seemed pretty straight forward. Very well done by the way.

If you get the out of memory error power the PS4 totally off, then back on again, you occasionally get that.

Using that DNS server you should end up on http://dxstudio.ru/ps4linux - Although I have noticed this is an old version of the PS4 Playground which doesn't have the options to enable the FTP Server / Debug settings, only to load Linux which is not what your wanting to do. This is why i like to host things myself.

If you go to http://dxstudio.ru/ the guy's email address appears to be there, you could ask him if he will host the new version of the PS4 Playground with Debug / FTP support, this can be downloaded here: https://mega.nz/#!uJBURBQZ!yJhkcX9Po1HM-6GQFvWGey_RNclTfBKksTfiu0JkCd8

In the mean time you could remove the DNS server you added to the PS4's network settings and follow this YouTube video from 6:00 to 7:07:

That shows you to get to Google without changing any DNS settings, then you can Google ps4.insanenutter.com.

The first result is a the GBATemp thread where I have linked to http://ps4.insanenutter.com/

So that's a very long winded way of getting to an updated mirror of the PS4 Playground.

I can look in to hosting my own DNS server for this, however I dont have any additional free IP addresses on my server so it's not something I can promise I can do.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally got it with the youtube version. Had to switch the country to U.S. though (I´m in Germany and couldn´t find a way to youtube).

Once there I had thought it just crashed but once I reseted I found the debug option! Thought it might be worth mentioning that.

Thanks for holding my hand this whole time just for a Blu Ray player. This will have to suffice until someone/group actually has the balls to release a loader.

THANK YOU!

Reactions: Deleted-355425

CleanModz

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Hey InsaneNutter, for me the Debug Settings don't work. After I press FTP and Debug Settings, I can't find anything in the settings :( ? Need help, thanks

Reactions: Nezztor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte