BloodStained - Castlevania Successor revealed

Koji Igarashi of Castlevania fame has finally shown what he's been working on since leaving Konami, and it looks glorious.
bs1.png
bswow.png
bs.png bs2.png bs3.png bs4.png

Target platforms are PS4, PC, Linux & XboxOne.

:arrow:Bloodstained Kickstarter

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wouldn't this fit the 3ds?

Fit as in what exactly?
The size of castles/weapons/whatever... sure.
The game shouldn't be over 4GB and there are 4GB games on 3DS.

Fit as in will it work?
Only if they use something else than UE4 for the 3DS version (meaning not the same exact assets/graphics, lower resolution, etc.)

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
Fit as in what exactly?
The size of castles/weapons/whatever... sure.
The game shouldn't be over 4GB and there are 4GB games on 3DS.

Fit as in will it work?
Only if they use something else than UE4 for the 3DS version (meaning not the same exact assets/graphics, lower resolution, etc.)

well I just thought that since its 2.5D, it would be fitting for the 3DS.
but you are right, the game would not have the exact graphics.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
we are getting like speed run and boss speed run... it cost $250,000 to add those features?

damn.... at this rate it cost over $1 billion to add 3DS and Vita port...

evillaugh.gif

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not seen much in the way of discussion on this about this not being funded just by kickstarter but using it as something of a springboard/market research for the rest of the funding. It is an interesting move and if indeed it ends up being the case then it is a more realistic projection for dev costs (people, arguably quite rightly, give odd looks to double fine where being realistic they had about as much chance of working it out properly as the ouya).

Given other times when established devs tried this sort of thing we saw no small amount of whining, bitching and moaning (the choice of phrase there hopefully indicating where I sit on that one) about it all, and for my money I never saw a reasoning as to why it was bad that I could get behind.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What FAST said. In the video, they flat out say that investors wanted to know there was actual interest in the project, so they started the Kickstarter to gain funding just in case no investors jumped on board, and to establish a base amount of money to work with if other investors did indeed decide the project was worthwhile. Anything that doesn't get funded on Kickstarter may very well get funded by further investment from other sources once the Kickstarter has concluded and development actually begins. Just because the community doesn't fund it doesn't mean it won't happen. Also, for those saying "it costs x amount just for that?!" -

The way Kickstarter works, especially for games, is that stretch goals are simply additional incentive to keep giving. The features don't cost that much to develop, but rather, the features are incentive to give more towards the development of the title. Not hitting a content related stretch goal doesn't mean that the feature won't be included, but rather, it's less likely that it will be included, especially if development doesn't allow in terms of time or funding. By hitting the stretch goal, the feature is guaranteed, that the amount of funding they have does mean they will not be omitting the feature.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Idk it looks kind of...idk...i dont think it would be good game :/
It looks like concept art. Admittedly, we see absolutely nothing of what the final game will look like. All the pictures they have of "gameplay" is just ideas of what gameplay may look like. Otherwise since will play most likely just like any other metroidvania title. Play the GBA Metroid games or play any of the DS Castlevania games to get a feel for the style of game this will be.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have not seen much in the way of discussion on this about this not being funded just by kickstarter but using it as something of a springboard/market research for the rest of the funding. It is an interesting move and if indeed it ends up being the case then it is a more realistic projection for dev costs (people, arguably quite rightly, give odd looks to double fine where being realistic they had about as much chance of working it out properly as the ouya).

Given other times when established devs tried this sort of thing we saw no small amount of whining, bitching and moaning (the choice of phrase there hopefully indicating where I sit on that one) about it all, and for my money I never saw a reasoning as to why it was bad that I could get behind.

i actually have two problems with that.
first being that it doesnt really make sense to use kickstarter to measure interest.
even though the game is backed and all (and its backers are on average giving twice as much money to this than they gave to yooka laylee), its still only backed by a measly 25000 people.
'investors' are already aware that these types of games sold relatively little in the past, half a million or less.
now they see 25000 backers. even at 75000, that would still not look very promising. because backers are people who are explicitly interested in the game. what would you expect to be a realistic ratio between people interested that back and people interested that dont? 1:1? 1:2 maybe? 1:3 at most if you asked me. and then, the obligatory handful of people persuaded by the boxart.
at this point, the only reason for some investor to jump in would be because they wouldn't need to invest a lot.

which brings me to my second problem with that.
the consumer would quite literally be subsidizing investors here. investors that, unlike the backers, actually stand to make money from a successful project. I'm not sure if i want to like that thought.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
i actually have two problems with that.
first being that it doesnt really make sense to use kickstarter to measure interest.
even though the game is backed and all (and its backers are on average giving twice as much money to this than they gave to yooka laylee), its still only backed by a measly 25000 people.
'investors' are already aware that these types of games sold relatively little in the past, half a million or less.
now they see 25000 backers. even at 75000, that would still not look very promising. because backers are people who are explicitly interested in the game. what would you expect to be a realistic ratio between people interested that back and people interested that dont? 1:1? 1:2 maybe? 1:3 at most if you asked me. and then, the obligatory handful of people persuaded by the boxart.
at this point, the only reason for some investor to jump in would be because they wouldn't need to invest a lot.

which brings me to my second problem with that.
the consumer would quite literally be subsidizing investors here. investors that, unlike the backers, actually stand to make money from a successful project. I'm not sure if i want to like that thought.
Look at it this way:
The game will not have a physical release. Backers can get a physical copy, but that is the only way to get a physical release at all. Since each backer for a release is covering the costs of production for their particular copy, no money will be lost at all on physical distribution. Basically, no investor has to worry about the costs of physical distribution, as Kickstarter funds will completely take care of that. That is a huge chunk of change to not have to worry about, and the cost of physical distribution is exactly why the majority of video game Kickstarters do not offer a physical game option.

Even then, the DS Castlevania titles sold something like an average of 400k units a game. That isn't amazing, but it's hardly flop numbers either when considering the cost to develop those titles. Now you consider that Bloodstained will likely be backed by approximately 30,000 people. That is 30,000 people that have already helped recoup the cost of development which will lead to a profit on each copy of the game far more quickly. Depending on how they disperse funds, it's possible that they'll be making profit after only selling a measly 10k or 20k additional copies on release. Oftentimes games are considered flops when the cost of development is higher than the financial return from sales. If you remove that problem altogether and show investors a venture that will turn a profit far more quickly, even if it isn't an amazing one, suddenly it becomes much more appealing.

Basically, the Kickstarter is a brilliant move for attracting investors because suddenly they only have to invest say, $100k more, and the project will be just as good as the team wants it to be. Obviously it's not a be all end all though, which is exactly why a well thought out Kickstarter is necessary just in case no investors jump on board. For example, with Bloodstained, they are more than prepared to develop exclusively on the funding they get from the Kickstarter. In the end, there are two versions of the game that we could get: one is made exclusively with Kickstarter funds and basically only has what was promised by the project, while the other one is made with a combination of Kickstarter funds and investors funds, leading to a product that can exceed what was promised by the project.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't get what the diamond lens actually did. Are this all the stretch goals now?
no, 30 and 50 achievements show us the last stretch goals

but you see how things have slowed down. they're not going to make it to classic mode anyways.
and if theres any chance of getting the game on nintendo consoles, we're not going to learn about it anymore

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is an example of a fake kickstarter. He obviously had his backers first. Who would not back it?
Pretty sure the funds raised in this are to be used to attempt to deliver the item described in the drive. I would not doubt the guy spoke to various financier types and this was either part of the pitch or part of the demands given to receive funding, it is a sound investment strategy too. As for which person would not back it it is a game (risky), from a person that left a company (job for life is kind of a still a concept in Japan) to pursue a passion project (also risky) in a game type that has been both dead or, at best, floundering in the big boys (Order of Ecclesia was both handheld only, not exactly a commercial best seller and released in 2008 and it is now 2015), is kind of saturated at the lower end (and saturated with crap which is not the best position) and unlikely to produce a massive return either.

There are worse investments out there but this is not the kind of thing investors stay up at night wishing to walk through their door, especially if this is for a single project and not a company or something.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lol releasing a console that can't support an engine that runs on mobile phones. #LazyEngineers :)
Lol implying the hardware is not strong enough to support UE4 and weaker than cell phones and not noticing it is a problem of lacking software support. #LazyProgrammersAtNintendoThatDoNotPortUE4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lol implying the hardware is not strong enough to support UE4 and weaker than cell phones and not noticing it is a problem of lacking software support. #LazyProgrammersAtNintendoThatDoNotPortUE4
It's not about power, it's about low-level API's. UE4 was built with DX10/OpenGL/ES 3.3 in mind AFAIK, neither of which is supported by the Wii U. Ain't nobody got time for Nintendo's proprietary bullshit, how about they start following industry standards for once? Until then you can enjoy UE3, it works on the Wii U.

EDIT: My bad, it actually does support OpenGL 3.3, but that's the cut-off point apparently (at least on paper), so maybe there's hope.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not about power, it's about low-level API's. UE4 was built with DX10/OpenGL/ES 3.3 in mind AFAIK, neither of which is supported by the Wii U. Ain't nobody got time for Nintendo's proprietary bullshit, how about they start following industry standards for once? Until then you can enjoy UE3, it works on the Wii U.

EDIT: My bad, it actually does support OpenGL 3.3, but that's the cut-off point apparently (at least on paper), so maybe there's hope.

Yeah, actually it is not a hardware problem as long as I know UE4 could be ported to Wii U.
It is that Epic is not interested to port it themselves, so someone else should do the part, or pay them to be interested (NINTENDO!) in order to bring Wii U compatibility and ease the life of third parties.
But some big videogame company seems to not care enough about third parties, which in my eyes is a big error.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."