BloodStained - Castlevania Successor revealed

Koji Igarashi of Castlevania fame has finally shown what he's been working on since leaving Konami, and it looks glorious.
bs1.png
bswow.png
bs.png bs2.png bs3.png bs4.png

Target platforms are PS4, PC, Linux & XboxOne.

:arrow:Bloodstained Kickstarter

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a big Castlevania fan but nothing fills me with more joy than the fact that devs like this guy and the guys that left rare and are making Yooka-Laylee, are able to finally give their dedicated fans the games that the actual previous companies just didn't freakin think to put out.

I'll back it just to support it, I'm all for developers making what the people want and not the companies making what they "think" we want. :grog:

Reactions: Digital.One.Entity

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The protagonist reminds me of Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia, which is awesome. I'm just a bit disappointed that it is a home-console only game. For some reason, I always found 2D side-scroller to be more enjoyable in handhelds than in home-consoles.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What about Nintendo?

Our budget left us with two options: Build the biggest, most beautiful game we can, or make sure it runs everywhere from the start. As things stand today, we can't afford to create the two separate versions of this game that would be necessary to make it run on every console.

Fucking bullshit. If they can't make this 2.5D game run on a WiiU, they can't develop games.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You do it, then? Don't come off talking like you know what's involved.

The most childish comeback ever. You don't have to be a video game developer to look at Bayonetta 2 and the concept art / mockup for this 2D game, and call bullshit that the WiiU won't be powerful enough.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yooka-Laylee too. This is an exciting method. Does it have its problems? Sure. So does in house funding.

Generally my issue is that all these "influential" people are moving to Kickstarter when if the idea really was valid they could easily find an investor for it.

I mean no name developers like Supergiant were able to get funded for amazing games like Bastion and Transistor, goddamn Phil Fish was able to get funding for Fez, why can't someone who has "Made fucking Castlevania" or "Made fucking Megaman" or "Made fucking Banjo Kazooie" on their resume get investors for their next game?

I feel like they're just cheap and lazy. Through Kickstarter, they can get all this money, and if things don't pan out, they owe nothing. They can take as long as they want, do whatever they want, and have no worries of risk vs. reward.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Fucking bullshit. If they can't make this 2.5D game run on a WiiU, they can't develop games.
I'm sure you read the last sentence, " That said, we've heard legends about a remarkable treasure hidden in the castle basement..."
Basically I interpret that as, "If the main version is successful, there is a good chance for porting it to nintendo systems". Maybe they even might do a spinoff title. Given that it's already about 60% funded in less than a few hours, Id say that's pretty likely! ^_^

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dunno about the Wii U but the PS4 and XBO have a similar hardware structure to that of a PC so this isn't really surprising that even Linux gets a port.
Instead of cursing hope for a Wii U stretch goal.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Well, Wii U not so up-to-date hardware, time constraints, laziness of developers, etc. (you know)
Actually I believe that having very strong hardware that allows for rapid (less optimized) development, and lets the development team concentrate on the game story, art, gameplay, etc. instead of the programming, is good hardware.
People may look at it as "laziness" , but you know, it is a world of limited resources, if you put more effort into the code optimization, you have to take away effort from some other place.
(...)
Also having stronger hardware to give more room to being lazy at optimizations would be better. Always. Perhaps.

sarkwalvein recycling his own posts since... forever.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, I can buy that they're talking about the different hardware structure. The way it was worded made me think they were saying that they wouldn't be able to make such a beautiful game if it had to work on a nintendo console as well.

I'm sure you read the last sentence, " That said, we've heard legends about a remarkable treasure hidden in the castle basement..."
Basically I interpret that as, "If the main version is successful, there is a good chance for porting it to nintendo systems". Maybe they even might do a spinoff title. Given that it's already about 60% funded in less than a few hours, Id say that's pretty likely! ^_^
At first I didn't get that sentense, and thought they meant there'd be an old in-game ninendo console inside a hidden room somewhere. But after checking again, the stretch goals are written on a castle, and at the bottom there are still locked doors (and below those would be the basement).

Maybe you're right, that it will be a stretch goal to make a port.

I'm a happy boy again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1