ROM Hack [RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

yugix

Sleepy
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Okay, fair enough. It was just an idea. I'll keep that on the back burner, anyway.

And as for the patch, I'm pretty much fine with it now. Yeah, I do have the "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome from working too closely with the ROM such that I don't notice things the other testers had picked up upon, but after a few rounds back and forth it all looks nice. I'm going to message the guys looking at the ASM for the name entry screen but I still think it is decent and functional, all things considered. If they aren't able to get anywhere with it I guess I'm happy with releasing the patch as it is; we could always add in a super-duper name entry screen later (even though it is only used at two points in the whole game, one being optional).

Hey Aaron,

Could you work with us in the Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Story translation, please?
If we had a translator like you we would already be in testing stages right now.

Sorry if it is not right to scout (or Ad) about our translation. If it not right, please remove this post.

Regards,

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
pr0xy> You're welcome. I hope everyone can enjoy this game.

Okay, I am waiting on a few more messages to get back to me (stupid time difference between Japan and everywhere else in the world), but I've prepared a release candidate patch (Version 1.0). It's sitting pretty and ready to go and I'm just waiting for an OK.

That being said, there are 3 issues I must mention, so *please take note of these before you spam my inbox about them*. These are fairly minor issues at most but I do have to mention them so there are no surprises. I have already mentioned some of these before, so these are not all new. I will continue to look at these issues after the initial release of the patch, but the hope is that these are minor and will not detract from the game for anyone that wants to play it in the meantime.

** Known Issues **

- Text appears on-screen at a constant letter-by-letter rate during some story segments but depending on the length of the text on the page, it will start displaying faster near the end. Might look a bit jarring at times but has no effect on the game.

- The ending of main story (1st ending) is supposed to have 3 pages, but for whatever reason the game will either only display the first or display all pages on top of each other regardless of how many times the tags were put in, moved, checked and verified against the original Japanese ROM image. A single page workaround is in place, which is fine because the game does in fact continue beyond the initial campaign missions.

- A handful of Ability names appear fine in the menu yet the top-left region of the first one or two letters is cut out for some strange reason. "Miasma", "Cold Cloak", "Flaming Spirit", "Lightning Cloak" and "Thunder Sigil" are the guilty ones. It looks like this. The titles appear fine everywhere else in the game.

30eefDM.png

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Auryn asked me to look into the naming screen.
Here is the picture you will want to edit to remove the 2 folders too many :
_bob_namescreen.png

You have main image and sub folders in the bottom.

Image is located here :
/data/ui/ui_nam/ui_nam_ncg.dpk/184000002.bin
Palette is here :
/data/ui/ui_nam/ui_nam_ncl.dpk/184000002.bin

You can directly import your edited picture with Tinke.

About hacking the touch area, saddly I'm still stuck but I'll report if I made any progress.

[Edit] Obviously, the tilemaps for each 5 displays are located here :
/data/ui/ui_nam/ui_nam_nsc.dpk/...

[Edit 2] About the item display bug, I think it can be easyly fixed if you give me a save file.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello, hello!

Thanks for getting back to me. I messaged you with some save game files to play with.

About the name entry screen, I already knew the graphics location as I already changed it before to make all the tiles the same color (there were some dark brown and green ones to switch between kana, accented characters and A/a and the like in some tabs). I haven't been able to make headway on the touch area or those lingering kana accent characters on the right side of the first tab. Even if I can just remove their appearance, I'm fine with that since the tab contents are duplicated for every sub-screen in each tab. It just looks a bit odd.

In any case, I'll let you play with the save files and see if you can get anywhere with the bizarre Ability Title issue and the mysterious black square of great justice (tm) covering some of the letters in those cases.

Ah, one more *known issue*

There is a length issue with some of the character names. Specifically, 1 player character (Santiago) and two NPCs you only see a few times in the game (Myuska/Myusuka, Shinike). There is a maximum character limit for player characters of 6 characters so I'm screwed with "Santiago" though a shortened "Diago" or "Diego" works fine. For Myusuka, the character limit is 4 and with Shikine it is 3. (Based on the other parts of the story and naming schemes elsewhere those two are currently Myuu and Rie but it seems almost sacrilegiousl to do that just to make it all fit and work nice in the game. Still, if you have never played the game before, I guess it doesn't matter what names we use as long as we are consistent) I can force double the characters in half-width characters, but that totally screws up the positioning of the names and makes them run over the border of the window.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Myuska could be Mysk or Musk? (yeah, that's another sacrilegious transformation, but it has more pronunciation resemblance with the "k")
No idea for Shinike.

Most of us didn't play the game before, so any name will do.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Wow this has changed a lot, nice work! Thanks for your efforts :) I was one of the early bunch translating this, though any credit to me seems to have been lost along the way; I have no idea if anything I worked on is still present though so not like it's a big deal, but since you asked...

Having had dealings with SE in an official capacity in the past couple of years, I'd also recommend against releasing the manual unless you just provide a typed/written text file or similar; they really don't approve of that kinda thing, whereas translations they'll at least tolerate for the most part.

Btw off topic, but if you plan to look into sigma harmonics I should still have all my data laying around somewhere, so I can help out with a few aspects as well as translation (I've actually translated about 40% of it but life got in the way) as required

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this has changed a lot, nice work! Thanks for your efforts :) I was one of the early bunch translating this, though any credit to me seems to have been lost along the way; I have no idea if anything I worked on is still present though so not like it's a big deal, but since you asked..

Check the second post :)

Reactions: Valiarchon

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ah, one last thing (and a half)

For those 10 sealed slate puzzles, is Squeenix going to throw a tizzy if I include the solutions like this?

bob1.jpg

I think square published their solutions originally in the same type of screenshot (albeit cleaner). If it could be a problem I can recreate just the paths and terminus points and label those.

Also, one of the kind offers of help traced that ability display issue to some kind of source. It still isn't fixed yet but I'll get back to you on that.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think it's bad to provide screenshot with the solutions.
they can't take action for posting a game's screenshot (well, I hope). I understand that it's more a part of the decoded files in the game that you want to use than a real screenshot, so I don't know...

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, there are a few of us looking at the last minor issues but they do not seem to be trivial to fix so I'm going to touch up one last thing tonight (The Mysk change in place of Myuu seems to be favorable all around as a compromise) and then as long as I'm not tied up with my kids I'll put out 1.0 tonight or tomorrow. The rest of the game looks fine so hopefully the lingering issues don't detract from the game in the meantime). I don't see any reason to hold the game for a handful of red herrings any longer.

In the meantime I'll continue to see how to get around the last minor issues and when that is done I think version "1.1" can be the final barring anything anyone else finds.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
All right, as promised, here you are. Give this a whirl, and I hope it works for you. For now this is PC-only since XDelta is so picky, but I'll work on a Mac patch like I did with RGC2. The Readme give a link to the exact version of XDelta GUI used as well. Note that it is 3:20AM here so if I messed something up along the way I'll fix things up tomorrow when I've had some sleep.

Thank you to everyone that helped make this possible and for the help given to me by you all in putting this all together and getting it out. I hope you enjoy it. Also, apologies to anyone along the way to whom I might have come off as aggressive during my work on this. I tend to be very forward thinking and sometimes use a "brute force plow through everything" approach to getting things done.

Sorry you probably won't have much time to play before heading back to school...if that is applicable to you.

While you enjoy this, I'll continue trying to get around those last issues and work on a "Final" 1.1 patch. If you spot anything else, let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m3nslxbzw4znpu3/bahamut.rar

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the release and to everyone involved :)
It has been a long road and it's finally here.
Special thanks to Aaron for taking and completing this project.

I won't have time to test immediately, but I'll try this week.
Someone else (Densetsu?) could post this on the portal? (I'm not good at writing portal news)

Reactions: Aaron Chmielowiec

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass