ROM Hack [RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I tested multiplayer last night (two DS units) and it worked flawlessly. However, your "ally bonus" is only a B rank with only 2 people. You will get other ranks and titles with 3 and 4 player matches. I'm also convinced you need to play 3 or 4 player mode to get some of the rare items needed to synth similarly rare items.

Along the way I only found 1 text box that needed readjusting but I might reword a few of those rank titles. Regardless of the transition, some titles don't quite match the descriptions (i.e. synthing every possible spear at least once gets you a special rank of "weaponless master" though the description says you mastered making all spears. I'll have to see the original Japanese again; it might be more like "peerless" as in nobody can make spears as well as you, etc.

That's it for now. I'm currently trying to S rank all missions in the game...almost there.

Edit> Some pics. Yes, I know I used the same save game file on both units so it's like fighting with a clone. I suppose I should have at least chosen different characters to play. Also, I had my brightness down on my DSi LL. I should have turned that up too. The screen looks abnormally dark compared to the DS Lite in these pics.

DMYVvsX.jpg

BaLrzHl.jpg

RTOgi3H.jpg

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Absolutely. The whole game is beatable single-player. There are just a few extra bonuses you get for playing multi-player. Also, the game is a lot harder towards the end (and the extra missions) if you play solo, though it is doable, more easily so if you have the best weapons and armor in the game.

Behold my 4 player monstrosity! (click for larger image)

EDIT> Here is the config:

DS Phat -> Ace3DS Plus
DS Lite -> R4
DSiLL -> DSTwo
3DSLL -> Orignal Cart

Sora> I know. That was already fixed. I found some new ones when I unlocked the 3-player and 4-player awards, though. It's like Kleenex. Pull one out, there's another...

Reactions: Gaming4Ever

Pj Tremblay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
had to make an account to tell you to keep up the good work

i book marked this thread so goddamn long ago

cant wait to play to play it bro

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ah, I'm a bit late on this but here is another video anyway. It just shows starting a new game and working through the first mission, and some random extras in the menu.

It doesn't compete with my 4-player multiplayer madness above but maybe it's something to look at before I put out the patch.

Edit> I've also figured out that the "Light of Friendship" item is not related to playing multiplayer, but rather you get it (sometimes) by defeating Gilgamesh Omega. That will let me forge those last items and gain the appropriate ranks I think.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So.. I have a solution for the accent buttons for hiragana/katakana. You could always change it so pressing the accent character puts one of those European accent marks over a letter. You know, like á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ. You would probably have to add a third button, though...

Or maybe you can take a blanked-out menu for accent characters!

This takes playing with both your hands and feet to the next level.

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zoneblaze...... the translated section in dicastia clearly states that the blood of bahamut translation is the property of this translation project. there is no such thing as a "dicastia team" they only upload patches and roms. theres even a link to this page. I wish newbies thought before they spoke.

xD Thanks for pointing that out. I just assumed they were the ones translating, not just uploading work from here because their site was the only place I read any sort of news on the translation.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
No problem (as in, no harm done).

Okay, while I have someone looking at fixing up the Name Entry screen to remove/disable unneeded options, I have been playing through more of the game and I have checked and fixed the second ending by defeating the ultimate form of Neo-Bahamut after taking on 10 rounds of battle against other "Ultimate" Behemoths. I will have to beat it again to make sure my changes work (and make sense).

The other rank images have now all been checked/fixed (I hope). Even though the Name Entry screen isn't so important to me as long as it works and I can enter English names (and have the default be that as well), and navigation isn't totally confusing, I'm happy. Still, I know some people are sensitive to this so I'll see how the Assembly hacking goes after the weekend to try and clean up the Name Entry screen some more. After checking that final/second ending again, it's looking good to go (read: release). I'm sure some people would be happy enough with how it is right now, but I will give this that extra mile anyway. I don't mind patching up the game after the initial patch and all, but I should at least try to make a solid first "official" release.

All right, I sat down and rewrote a lot of the rank titles and descriptions. Even though they all fit, some of them didn't make a whole lot of sense and there were some consistency errors with references to the Behemoths.

I also found the 3rd ending (actually, the final screen of the 2nd ending if you get all the rank titles). It's just a single scene but that also seems to work.

EDIT> These new endings do need a bit more fixing, but not much, fortunately. Since it is such a huge spoiler (if you consider The End to be a spoiler) I'll just hide this content, but leave it for those interested.

Here are a couple screens from the 2nd ending I need to fix up and the 3rd Ending after the credits of the 2nd ending I need to also fix.

LCpKnJr.png
EjS2k03.png

85T3U4W.png
383EE2X.png

Also, I rebuilt the ROM using the dump of the ROM with the correct header info. I was using one that had a borked header. It still worked, but I think it is a good idea to build the game upon a ROM image with a correct header, all the same.

Edit> does anyone want me to scan and translate the manual?

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I'll see what I can do. Scanning it all in is easy enough. I mean, I did that with the RGC2 manual. (I have all the scans and a translation but Mars_X got busy so that is in limbo but all the content is available if anyone wants a crack at that someday)

My only concern legally is that even though this game patch contains none of the original content from Squeenix (XDelta only stored the changed bits), the manuals would still have their original artwork and design if I kept it even remotely close to the source content. Maybe I could release that separately away from the patch?

Speaking of the patch, I touched up a bit of capitalization just now and verified all of the content in the game works, and I mean *all* (single/multiplayer, all missions, all extras, all bonus, all synthed items, equipment, ranks/titles, endings, story content, non-story mission descriptions, lables and other misc. descriptions, the sealed slates...) from beginning to end so even though some will always find something the bicker about, it's looking pretty solid. Once I hear back about the name entry screen ASM hacking "fun", I'll see about releasing the patch. Even if the ASM work isn't going to be done anytime soon, the game is perfectly functional and that screen is more than usable for all intents and purposes.

I mean, my updates have been getting more and more mundane and minute, so it has to be getting close to "done" if I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

Reactions: Gaming4Ever

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I'll see what I can do. Scanning it all in is easy enough. I mean, I did that with the RGC2 manual. (I have all the scans and a translation but Mars_X got busy so that is in limbo but all the content is available if anyone wants a crack at that someday)

My only concern legally is that even though this game patch contains none of the original content from Squeenix (XDelta only stored the changed bits), the manuals would still have their original artwork and design if I kept it even remotely close to the source content. Maybe I could release that separately away from the patch?

Speaking of the patch, I touched up a bit of capitalization just now and verified all of the content in the game works, and I mean *all* (single/multiplayer, all missions, all extras, all bonus, all synthed items, equipment, ranks/titles, endings, story content, non-story mission descriptions, lables and other misc. descriptions, the sealed slates...) from beginning to end so even though some will always find something the bicker about, it's looking pretty solid. Once I hear back about the name entry screen ASM hacking "fun", I'll see about releasing the patch. Even if the ASM work isn't going to be done anytime soon, the game is perfectly functional and that screen is more than usable for all intents and purposes.

I mean, my updates have been getting more and more mundane and minute, so it has to be getting close to "done" if I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

Honestly, I would think distributing the manual is like inviting Squeenix's lawyers to give you a call. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Many (if not all) users with a flashcart never read the manual of the game they are playing.
It's a nice addition to have to make it look professional , but if you do it then release it separately, or you should write it and take your own screenshots. don't just edit the scanned one.

It's maybe too much work for what it's worth.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, fair enough. It was just an idea. I'll keep that on the back burner, anyway.

And as for the patch, I'm pretty much fine with it now. Yeah, I do have the "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome from working too closely with the ROM such that I don't notice things the other testers had picked up upon, but after a few rounds back and forth it all looks nice. I'm going to message the guys looking at the ASM for the name entry screen but I still think it is decent and functional, all things considered. If they aren't able to get anywhere with it I guess I'm happy with releasing the patch as it is; we could always add in a super-duper name entry screen later (even though it is only used at two points in the whole game, one being optional).

pr0xy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say thanks so much for bringing this to us. I know there are many in the community who don't know the time and effort it takes in order to do a translation. Even though the most selfish and entitled people are usually the most vocal, know that the rest of us appreciate all that you do simply for other people's enjoyment. Keep up the great work. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol