Blocking the 3DS from receiving the wifi update using OpenDNS

This method requires no software, no fancy router settings/models, and doesn't affect any other devices on your network. It works in sleep mode, too.

1. On your PC, go to OpenDNS.com and start up a free account: https://www.opendns.com/

2. add a network and use the default IP that shows up: https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/
*This is your modem's IP, not your PC's IP. you can double check at http://www.whatismyip.com/

3. Click your IP address as it's listed to go to your CONTENT EDITING page. Keep the categories set at NONE but add these individual domains near the bottom to block:
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com (*may prompt a "block entire content delivery category?". Choose No/Domain only.)

4. On your 3DS: System Settings > Internet Settings > Connection Settings > Connection # > Change Settings > DNS > Auto-Obtain NO > Detailed Setup

5. Set Primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 and secondary to 208.67.220.220

6. Enjoy life

In case it's not working:
Are you using another DNS? If you have a custom DNS (such as google DNS) setup on your router, this might not work. You can clear the router's DNS settings and set up Google DNS on your PC to keep using GoogleDNS with your computer, and OpenDNS from your 3DS.

Be sure to disable any proxy or VPNs for Step 2. Don't know if you have one? http://www.whatismyip.com/ will tell you if it detects a proxy, and if it's giving you incorrect location/ISP details, you might be running a VPN/proxy.

You might have a Dynamic IP (a home IP/step 2 IP that changes once in a while). OpenDNS has documentation on how to deal with this.'

OpenDNS only offers one free IP setup per account. If you connect to another router OpenDNS won't be able to block the request. (I will explain why this happens in more detail later)

Disclaimer: I know a thing or two about routers, but it is a hobby, not a profession. I might be wrong about the domains blocked. I appreciate any input to make this right in case I'm wrong. So far I haven't been pinged to update, but I also haven't tried to force the update check either. If anyone knows for certain what domain to block, please let us all know so I can edit this post. If the 3DS pings an IP instead of a domain, this OpenDNS method is worthless, but apparently that's not the case so we should be okay.

Spotpass/Streetpass/Homepass Warning: Spotpass will ping the update. Because spotpass hotspots are preconfigured into every 3DS, it will not use OpenDNS. This method will not protect you from downloading the update over spotpass. Also, this is just speculation. Feel free to confirm/disprove this for the rest of us. Homepass can be configured to use OpenDNS, but it's not something I'm going to get into because there are too many unique ways to homepass.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Someone found a way of removing the downloaded update (thus get rid of the update nag) via a trick involving safe mode. This means being able to remove the update nag WITHOUT having to format the console!

There's a somewhat obscure button combination you use while powering on the 3DS to boot it into safe mode. The thread explaining how to remove the update nag using this feature is linked below:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-delete-predownloaded-update-spotpass-nag.381489/

Long story short you use that button combination to boot into safe mode. It should ask you to update. Press B to cancel (do NOT accept the update, it will update your console. lolz). The console will power down and from all the other confirmed reports, this results in sysnand no longer nagging you to update.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can confirm from firsthand expereince that it does NOT block online play. HOWEVER, any games that have pending eShop updates (smash bros, pokemon, etc.) will block you from playing online. As long as all your games are up to date, they'll play online (until they are out of date). If you have smash bros update 1.0.4, it's okay if you're still on 9.2.0 firmware. But once smash 1.0.5 comes out, you'll have to update. Sadly, eShop won't give you the 1.0.5 for smash until you first download 9.4.0 for the 3DS

wait wait wait..are you saying, that i can play online, even if i dont update to the latest fw, as long as my game is on it latest version? i'm about to block the URLs in my routeur's settings but i was woundering if i will be able to play online, without latest console fw..:wtf: ..

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
When i block everything, is this the result?
IMG_0989.JPG

TheDarkOne

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm totally going to use this. Many thanks to OP.

Edit: If I skip doing anything to my second 3DS that I want to use online, will that work? One non-updated 3DS, one updated 3DS?

Last edited by TheDarkOne,

Generalan

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This method requires no software, no fancy router settings/models, and doesn't affect any other devices on your network. It works in sleep mode, too.

1. On your PC, go to OpenDNS.com and start up a free account: https://www.opendns.com/

2. add a network and use the default IP that shows up: https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/
*This is your modem's IP, not your PC's IP. you can double check at http://www.whatismyip.com/

3. Click your IP address as it's listed to go to your CONTENT EDITING page. Keep the categories set at NONE but add these individual domains near the bottom to block:
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
(*may prompt a "block entire content delivery category?". Choose No/Domain only.)

4. On your 3DS: System Settings > Internet Settings > Connection Settings > Connection # > Change Settings > DNS > Auto-Obtain NO > Detailed Setup

5. Set Primary DNS to 208.67.222.222 and secondary to 208.67.220.220

6. Enjoy life

In case it's not working:
Are you using another DNS? If you have a custom DNS (such as google DNS) setup on your router, this might not work. You can clear the router's DNS settings and set up Google DNS on your PC to keep using GoogleDNS with your computer, and OpenDNS from your 3DS.

Be sure to disable any proxy or VPNs for Step 2. Don't know if you have one? http://www.whatismyip.com/ will tell you if it detects a proxy, and if it's giving you incorrect location/ISP details, you might be running a VPN/proxy.

You might have a Dynamic IP (a home IP/step 2 IP that changes once in a while). OpenDNS has documentation on how to deal with this.'

OpenDNS only offers one free IP setup per account. If you connect to another router OpenDNS won't be able to block the request. (I will explain why this happens in more detail later)

Disclaimer: I know a thing or two about routers, but it is a hobby, not a profession. I might be wrong about the domains blocked. I appreciate any input to make this right in case I'm wrong. So far I haven't been pinged to update, but I also haven't tried to force the update check either. If anyone knows for certain what domain to block, please let us all know so I can edit this post. If the 3DS pings an IP instead of a domain, this OpenDNS method is worthless, but apparently that's not the case so we should be okay.

Spotpass/Streetpass/Homepass Warning: Spotpass will ping the update. Because spotpass hotspots are preconfigured into every 3DS, it will not use OpenDNS. This method will not protect you from downloading the update over spotpass. Also, this is just speculation. Feel free to confirm/disprove this for the rest of us. Homepass can be configured to use OpenDNS, but it's not something I'm going to get into because there are too many unique ways to homepass.

Hey, I tried OpenDNS, but apparently I didn't have Web Content Filtering so I just decided to filter the URL from the router itself. I have an Acer RT-66U router and used URL filter in the firewall section.
And when all that was done blacklisting all these URLs, I tried to go online on Omega Ruby, but it still told me I needed to update in order to access online. What did I do wrong? Or have they gotten new domains?

This is a link to the router page where you can play with and try stuff: http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_Firewall_Content.html

EDIT: When I try to install the update, I get an error message, probably because I blocked it, but still I can't play online because it tells me to update. How to remove whatever makes it think that there is an update?

Last edited by Generalan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...