Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Madridi, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    well did this , but now i cant play zelda botw or smash bros anymore , it ass me to update the system in order to use the software , i'm on 5.5.1 , any idea how to get around that ?

2. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    This has NOTHING to do with deleting the update folder. It's likely asking you to update the games, which requires latest firmware, or to use NNU-patcher (which is what you should use here)

Deleting the update folder, and therefore being unable to update, doesn't mean you get to use anything the latest fw has to offer

3. ksamj202

ksamj202 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    what to do if the update already has been downloaded and waiting to be applied ???
    any chance to remove the downloaded files as i have already removed the update folder but i check if there is any files inside and it was empty
    i am afraid it would happen alone any moment

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    that's strange that the update wasn't in the update folder.
    maybe there is a "download" folder, before extracting files to update folder before installing them?

there's a browser exploit (or maybe homebrew too?) to delete already downloaded update files, you might want to run it, just in case.
    I don't remember the URL, I thought it was on loadiine.ovh but didn't see it.

5. ksamj202

ksamj202 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    Any ideas where I can find such homebrew???

6. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Visit my hosted exploit on your Wii U:
    https://madridi7.github.io/WiiU/
    There was also a hbl version but I can't find it atm

That being said, I never tried this, and I heard mixed reports about it working. So be careful with every step you take

mostafa and ksamj202 like this.
  7. ksamj202

ksamj202 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    AWESOOOOOME That really worked. thanks man

Madridi likes this.
  8. EvilGoku

EvilGoku Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    I have a question if Nintendo know that there is no folder (Name "updates") and they create one folder and then updates my console
    It is possible ? sorry for stupid question

9. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    How would they know without a system update applied to the system telling it to do such a thing?

Last edited by Madridi, Aug 6, 2017
    ksamj202 likes this.
  10. EvilGoku

EvilGoku Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    You are a genius Madridi

11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this yet but I will post it up just to be extra careful for others, who may go ahead and do what I just done below.

My wiiu is spoofed to v5.5.2 and I have the update folder deleted just the same as the instructions in the op. Now my rednand is still on v551 and to see I ran the update in system settings in rednand and it actually went ahead and updated as it should properly, no error popped up so I switched my wiiu off asap and then found out the "update" folder had reset again in fillezilla app on the actual main systemnand I only found this issue out because I thought I best check to see if it had not gone back to its original state so I had to go through the deleting of the update folder process again as in the op. So yes if you go and decide to try and update in rednand like I did which is pointless really, double check to make sure you go back into systemnand and delete your update folder again through ftpiiu everywhere. The reason why I was doing this in the first instance was to see if I could take the dns servers off in rednand/system settings, which of course I could not else it would of fully updated and reset the update folder in systemnand and then that would of fully updated by itself and it was a good job I checked this out before I turned my wiiu off.

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 9, 2017
    EvilGoku, Madridi and Cyan like this.
  12. johsam

johsam Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Now with the new 5.5.2 exploit have anyone recreated the update-folder and updated to 5.5.2 or isn't it worth the effort?

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    not worth the effort, and you'd get a bad browser hack instead of a (relatively) good one.
    all games are working fine with 5.5.1, the only issue is you need NNUPatcher to access eShop / update games.

you can update to 5.5.2 and downgrade the movie player of the browser to get the better browser hack entry point.
    but you need CFW (haxchi or CBHC) installed or you'll semi-brick.

If you want to update, first install haxchi or CBHC, or you'll have issue doing it once on 5.5.2
    once you updated to 5.5.2, delete the update folder.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 18, 2017
    Madridi likes this.
  14. rg

rg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    So now can some one confirm if this allows to connect to the ESHOP? Or more specific if it is possible to play Need for speed U online with this method? the DNS blocking method breaks Online for NFSU

15. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Nothing is blocked using this method. This only deletes the update folder so the system CANT download it if it wants to.

Of course you'd still need to use NNU patcher if you are on a lower fw than the latest to connect to eshop or online play.

16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    is it bad programming practice for nintendo to check if 'update' exists, if it is an directory and not a file, and then if something is not right - recreate the folder...?
    strange. but glad that this works :)

17. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    If you think this is bad programming, you should check what contenthax is :P

cearp likes this.
  18. mostafa

mostafa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2017
    Iran
    why for delete "Update" Folder must be run mocha ?

if i dont run mocha what might happening ?

19. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Well, if you tried it you would know the answer yourself :)

You will need to run either mocha or haxchi. You won't be able to connect to ftpiiu_everywhere to delete "update" folder without running those.

Try it yourself. Connect to ftpiiu_everywhere and go to the directory mentioned without running haxchi or mocha. You will get an error :)

mostafa likes this.
  20. mostafa

mostafa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2017
    Iran
    thanks for answer

i dont trying for this method (with or without) mocha because I'm afraid of the brick

this method has will work on 5.5.2 firmware ?