Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Madridi, Jul 19, 2017.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think this is the correct wupserver command line for the update folder since people r reporting that u can't add permissions:

w.chmod("/vol/storage_mlc01/sys/update", 0x755)

the folder must exist first in that location as well. that's correct, right?

2. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks for the tut. Just done this & its all gone perfectly so far. Just one question... Is it possible for this update folder to somehow recreate itself? Has this happened to anyone as of yet? Thought I'd ask.

3. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Nope. At least not that we know of.

And you're welcome :)

BIFFTAZ likes this.
  4. johsam

johsam Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Tnx for the well-written guide. Followed it and it worked perfectly.

Got haxchi from earlyer so updating to 5.5.2 wouldn't be the end of the world but I feel better staying on 5.5.1 in case
    the haxchi would break, and now i can skip the DNS-block and use nnu-patcher when i wanna update games or access eshop :)

Madridi likes this.
  5. David1357

David1357 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hi guys,
    I've used the noob guide for wii u hacking,
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/
    And it seems like DNS servers were down, and my wii u got updated to the last version.

So, I bought another wii u, and this time I want another layer of protection, as obviously DNS alone won't do. I thought to retry with Nintendo servers blocked from router, but that might not allow me to d/l a title from the EStore which is needed to install Haxchi.

So, I thought I could use the folder deletion trick. But for that you need a modded wii u to some degree.

So, I wonder whether you can tell me, after which step of the noob tutorial should I stop and try this tutorial?

6. kevdawg

kevdawg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    If I am still running rednand, do I need to do both steps 1A and 1B?

7. Elbarto1

Elbarto1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2016
    United States
    Thank you for this thread. Very helpful tutorial and as always, friendly. Much appreciated!

Madridi likes this.
  8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    After Step3

First you choose a way to launch your hacks (haxchi or browser)
    if you choose haxchi to get a persistent way to launch homebrew, you get the NDS game and replace it with haxchi.
    if you choose browser, there's nothing to do in step 2.

Step 3 is NAND backup

Now you can do what you want, either "don't pirate" or "pirate". See the step 4 is covering the different game playing method ("do you want to play wiiU games?")
    if you don't want to install/pirate games, you can stop at step 3.

Now you can follow other guides to do other things, like launching homebrew app, homebrew games, etc.

So, you need to run Mocha or Haxchi or CBHC, and use ftpiiu_everywhere to access your internal file system and delete the update folder.

Madridi and godreborn like this.
  9. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    So, did anybody brick his Wii U using this method?
    I am a bit frightened of deleting the folder.

10. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    you can't really brick

Madridi, naddel81 and godreborn like this.
  11. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    good to know. I just deleted the update folder. on top of that I still have DNS blocking and router blocks enabled. so unless nintendo puts out a new Wii U game with a higher update on disc, I don't see a chance they can update my console without me noticing.

12. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    I'd say it's pointless to have DNS enabled if you deleted the update folder. But to each their own I suppose

EvilGoku and noragrets like this.
  13. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that's actually how I have mine setup. I also have a second wii u completely unmodded blocking updates via my laptop. both of my systems are. what you need now is a way to recreate the update folder with the correct permissions via wupserver. I think I know how with chmod.

14. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Dont all clients allow you to simply right click and assign permissions, similar to FileZilla? Cause that's only a few ticks marks. Doesn't even take 10 seconds

15. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I was unable to fix permissions in that way with filezilla. it wouldn't allow that with folders unless u mean creating the folder on the system, then assigning permissions. I was trying to assign permissions on a folder on my laptop.

16. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Huh? It worked for me several times I tried it. What did you exactly do?

Btw its worth noting that the whole permission thing might just be extra precaution from my side. I'm not entirely sure it actually matters. The whole point of me having it in the guide was to get the update folder back to the exact original state it was in before deleting, regardless if it was needed or not

17. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think the problem is that the folder/file needs to be on the system in order to assign permissions. u can't assign permissions to a folder/file on the computer running filezilla before uploading as there's no option for it. file permissions should be the last option in the command window. you're able to assign permissions while the folder is on the system? I thought even renaming the folder ended in failure?

18. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Yeah I dont know about assigning on the PC itself. Not sure why you'd even need to create that on the PC to begin with. I just directly created it on the system, and assigned the permissions after creating it.

And yeah, the way the system is handling it is weird. It wont allow you to rename, and wont allow you to add permissions other than the one in the pic, or take off permissions of the stuff in the pic. But setting it exactly to those permissions work.

godreborn likes this.
  19. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    alright. I have no plans to recreate the folder at this time. I did get crunchy roll from the eshop just in case I do update, only if there's an exploit for 5.5.2. I was merely curious how u could create the folder with the correct permissions. thank u. I never tried creating the folder on the system itself, then assigning permissions.

Madridi likes this.
  20. Kleyon

Kleyon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2017
    France
    Risk of bricking is only if you delete files you're not supposed to. If you only delete update folder pointed by this tutorial, there's really no risk.

naddel81 likes this.