Blizzard changing Battle.net name

image.png

The Battle.net name that Blizzard has used for the past 20 years will be changing soon, as announced in a Blizzard form post. Battle.net has been the long-time hub for all Blizzard games, but will now go by a new name, in order to reduce confusion among users. The Battle.net name originally was introduced in 1996 when Diablo launched. This change is set to happen within the next few months.

When we created Battle.net, the idea of including a tailored online-gaming service together with your game was more of a novel concept, so we put a lot of focus on explaining what the service was and how it worked, including giving it a distinct name,” the company explained. Over time, though, we’ve seen that there’s been occasional confusion and inefficiencies related to having two separate identities under which everything falls — Blizzard and Battle.net.”

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Err, just so you're all aware, Blizzard Tech isn't necessarily the name of the actual service itself, just the name of the conglomerate of Battle.net services that Blizzard owns. Like the source link says:
We'll just be referring to our various products and services using the Blizzard name instead. You've already seen this recently with things like "Blizzard Streaming" and "Blizzard Voice," and more changes are on the way.

I mean, it could be worse, they could have a stupid name like "Miitomo" or "Miiverse"

;O;

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Err, just so you're all aware, Blizzard Tech isn't necessarily the name of the actual service itself, just the name of the conglomerate of Battle.net services that Blizzard owns. Like the source link says:

...on further reflection I should have fully read the source instead of skimming and Being duped by PC Gamer

Thanks for the correction

Mistie

Legit Furry Trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People seem to have the wrong idea about this news. You guys are assuming that Blizzard is going to call their services "Blizzard Tech" which is simply wrong. Notice the lower case in "tech". Blizzard is simply dropping the Battle.net branding and renaming everything that contains "Battle.net" to "Blizzard" so it would go as follows: "Blizzard Launcher", "Blizzard Steaming", "Blizzard Voice", etc. (If you didnt notice they have already started the rebranding :O because 2 of these services are already named such) rather than "Battle.net Launcher", "Battle.net Streaming", "Battle.net Voice", etc. They will not be renaming things to "Blizzard Tech Launcher", "Blizzard Tech Steaming", "Blizzard Tech Voice", etc. That is stupid. This is to lower the confusion with newer users wondering what the hell "battle.net" is since it simply feels like a separate service.

Why must I go to battle.net to manage my Blizzard games?
Why must I got to battle.net forums to talk about and report issues with my Blizzard games?
Why must I download the battle.net launcher to play my Blizzard games?

The only people who this is really going to bother is older players who grew up with battle.net and know its affiliation with Blizzard Entertainment. This is simply a change to make it feel less like a separate service. Since it isn't.

Blizzard isn't Blizzard Technologies. Blizzard is Blizzard Entertainment. They want their services to reflect that they are their services. Not feel like they are separate.

(@Chary I actually just read the OP and it is wrong. You are summarizing the post incorrectly. I'd recommend an edit.)

Last edited by Mistie,

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to have the wrong idea about this news. You guys are assuming that Blizzard is going to call their services "Blizzard Tech" which is simply wrong. Notice the lower case in "tech". Blizzard is simply dropping the Battle.net branding and renaming everything that contains "Battle.net" to "Blizzard" so it would go as follows: "Blizzard Launcher" "Blizzard Steaming" and "Blizzard Voice" (If you didnt notice they have already started the rebranding :OOOOOOOO because 2 of these services are already named such) rather than "Battle.net Launcher" "Battle.net Streaming" and "Battle.net Voice". They will not be renaming things to "Blizzard Tech Launcher". That is stupid. This is to lower the confusion with newer users wondering what the hell "battle.net" is since it simply feels like a separate service.

Why must I go to battle.net to manage my blizzard games?
Why must I got to battle.net to talk about my blizzard games?
Why must I download the battle.net launcher to play my blizzard games?

The only people who this is really going to bother is older players who grew up with battle.net and know its affiliation with Blizzard Entertainment. This is simply a change to make it feel less like a separate service. Since it isn't.

Blizzard isn't Blizzard Technologies. Blizzard is Blizzard Entertainment. They want their services to reflect that they are their services. Not feel like they are separate.
Yup that's why I said oops hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I mean, it could be worse, they could have a stupid name like "Miitomo" or "Miiverse"

;O;
Fair enough. As long no re-branding of the application itself is planned for the future. Battle.net is the best possible name for a DD platform. Steam is pretty damn good, too, but I've been playing on Bnet since friggin' DOS. Would hate to see the name go away altogether.

Last edited by Xzi,

LaronX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It likely will end up being "Blizzard Battle.net" or something along the lines. Unnecessary change, but Blizzard will keep doing that kind of stuff no matter what.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Knowing blizzard's recent bullshit I wouldn't be surprised if they (among other reasons) want to change the name because "battle" is too aggressive and therefore unwelcoming to those whose profession is getting offended on the internet, for their front-end all-in-one service. Will Timmy's mom let him download the social network app called "BATTLE dot net?" I bet she thinks it's like a virtual fight club community and therefore not christian.

Blizzard is also famous for changing the name of their games' ranks several times to make people in low ranks feel like they are still good. In OverWatch, their initial ranking system also had nothing to do with comparative rankings but was merely a grind where you couldn't drop off of, before a huge wave of feedback told them to stop being so scared to have competition in the competitive mode.

Speaking of OW, they also recently changed the ranked system because most players falling in the 50 or 60 ranks would feel bad since they would relate the number to a failing school test. So they upped the numbers to the thousands, assuming someone in the equivalent 2000 doesn't feel as bad because now the number is bigger. In perfect WoW expansion power-creep non-logic.

I wonder if they employed real psychologists to discuss all this stupid bullshit. They seem to go deep on these matters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.