Homebrew BlargSNES vs Nebuleon's DSTWO SNES?

ferret7463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not fully gotten into 3DS homebrew, mostly because lack of time to tinker with it. My question is for those who have used BlargSNES is it any better than Nebuleon's work he did on the DSTWO? Is it worth the trouble trying to install a CFW?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I have not fully gotten into 3DS homebrew, mostly because lack of time to tinker with it. My question is for those who have used BlargSNES is it any better than Nebuleon's work he did on the DSTWO? Is it worth the trouble trying to install a CFW?

Yes it is worth. The emulator isn't perfect, but actually runs stuff in fullspeed. No frameskipping and such.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'd say CATSFC has more compatibility (it uses a version of SNES9x) but uses software rendering, making it look slow/choppy so no games can really run at full speed.
BlargSNES has less compatibility, but utilizes the GPU for rendering, thus granting full speed on many games. The 3DS GPU is still being figured out, and when more is known about it, rendering may be improved further. Also, I believe BlargSNES has the superior audio too.

futaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Theoretically, CATSFC could run at full resolution on the 3DS, if someone rewrote the cartridge communication stuff to run in 3DS mode, rather than DS mode.

Of course, the frameskip issue / DS cartridge bandwidth issue would still be there, but compression in either DS mode or 3DS mode should solve that.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Don't forget that the DS SNES emulators must downscale picture (SNES games are in higher resolution than the DS's screens), and that takes some power from the CPU.

And yes, blargSNES is a very very good emulator!

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Above and beyond what's already been mentioned, blarg has the potential to still get significantly better as well, while the ds mode emulators are pretty well as mature as they will ever be (outside of possible small bug fixes). Ds mode has inherent limitations because of hardware speed. 3ds's CPU is significantly more powerful than Ds mode will allow (even after including the extra CPU power from the flash cart), so there's more room for growth.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say CATSFC has more compatibility (it uses a version of SNES9x) but uses software rendering, making it look slow/choppy so no games can really run at full speed.
BlargSNES has less compatibility, but utilizes the GPU for rendering, thus granting full speed on many games. The 3DS GPU is still being figured out, and when more is known about it, rendering may be improved further. Also, I believe BlargSNES has the superior audio too.

Yes, a lot. The sound from CATSFC is... is... Horrible.

Reactions: the_randomizer

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which makes me question, why is it that the snes emulator plays the sound perfectly (or at least seemingly perfectly) for the games that work, while every NES emulator on the 3DS struggles with sound? I'm sure it all comes down to who coded these things and how, still it feels odd to have better emulation of the snes (for the games that work) than the nes on the 3DS.

D

Deleted User

Which makes me question, why is it that the snes emulator plays the sound perfectly (or at least seemingly perfectly) for the games that work, while every NES emulator on the 3DS struggles with sound? I'm sure it all comes down to who coded these things and how, still it feels odd to have better emulation of the snes (for the games that work) than the nes on the 3DS.
Current NES emulators for the 3DS are either incomplete/abandoned (in the case of 3DNES) or ports that need optimization (in the case of FCEUMM3DS). BlargSNES is both made specifically for the 3DS and gets the attention it needs to be a decent emulator.

Reactions: lPolarisl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning