Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It will likely be released when smealum releases his work.

Releasing it before would be kinda pointless as that release would be incompatible and as such it'd rapidly be obsolete.

Begging for a release will not make it come faster, keep this in mind.

Why are you not taking in account the people who can launch homebrew applications with flashcards? You can release it as a rom, just like the other guy who released his NES emulator.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Why are you not taking in account the people who can launch homebrew applications with flashcards? You can release it as a rom, just like the other guy who released his NES emulator.

It is something completely up to the dev to choose..

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Because the version that is released currently will be changed a bit, or even dramatically, for both SSSPwn users and flashcart users, as the flashcart homebrew is still written with CTRUlib.

So bug/compatability reports would be kinda pointless currently

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Just because I decide to wait for smealum's work, suddenly I don't care about flashcards at all, despite the fact I use one myself?

I take this decision because smealum's work involves libctru updates. As I said, blargSnes's code will have to be updated. Better wait a couple days and have a release that is compatible with that.

Unrelatedly, in the meantime I'm squishing more bugs. DKC works again, at an acceptable speed. Weirdly, it doesn't suffer from the periodic performance hits that plagued it in lolSnes. In general, the performance of the CPU core has less impact on overall performance in blargSnes because a lot of the processing time is taken by the PPU core.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty sure that's the author's decision to make whether or not he releases one version or the other.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you not support the author's decision (or any other authors' decision) to release when and however he or she wishes to release said emulator? He said so himself has has a flashcard, he simply awaits Smealum's work (which doesn't cost a cent). You would be prudent to take that into account. He cares about flashcard uses and does take them into account, he simply uses another method.
Well, there is a cost of the game required for the ssspwn exploit.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ the_randomizer, and why do you try to answer these questions in such a rude way when you dont know more than anyone else?

I don't see how that was necessarily rude, but I just don't like seeing others called out for not doing certain things people expect to happen, i.e. calling out the author for not releasing it to the flashcard first, etc. People should respect authors' decisions. Sorry what I said or how I said it rubs you the wrong way.:shy:

Well, there is a cost of the game required for the ssspwn exploit.

Meh, still cheaper either way.:lol:

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Just because I decide to wait for smealum's work, suddenly I don't care about flashcards at all, despite the fact I use one myself?

I take this decision because smealum's work involves libctru updates. As I said, blargSnes's code will have to be updated. Better wait a couple days and have a release that is compatible with that.

Unrelatedly, in the meantime I'm squishing more bugs. DKC works again, at an acceptable speed. Weirdly, it doesn't suffer from the periodic performance hits that plagued it in lolSnes. In general, the performance of the CPU core has less impact on overall performance in blargSnes because a lot of the processing time is taken by the PPU core.

How much of the CPU is being used for the PPU core, if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how much of an improvement you could get if the GPU were to become unlocked some more so you could transfer graphic-related items to using that instead of being rendered in software.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see how that was necessarily rude, but I just don't like seeing others called out for not doing certain things people expect to happen, i.e. calling out the author for not releasing it to the flashcard first, etc. People should respect authors' decisions.

Chill out it was just a question, the author had it coming.
"Speaking about the release: now, I don't know if I should release it now or wait for smealum's stuff. It involves a libctru update and blargSnes will have to be adapted, so well..."
thats when people started begging for a release now

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much of the CPU is being used for the PPU core, if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how much of an improvement you could get if the GPU were to become unlocked some more so you could transfer graphic-related items to using that instead of being rendered in software.

Hmm, I too am curious as to see what kind of crazy cool improvements we could see with that as the PPU is being implemented. I wish I knew more of the Snes hardware.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i agree wait until 3ds homebrew is released to release the stuff i guess in the meantime more stuff can be fixed/implemented along the way.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Argh, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of off the bat, but I can't get this to compile under windows. Is Blarg only compilable under Linux?
Also, the main errors I get are that the linker can't find -lgcc, and I've tried pretty much everything I can to make it be able to find it, but maybe I'm an idiot, who knows at this point.
I know it's there, I know it should be able to find it, but it's still telling me to eff-off. Any suggestions?

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
change this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.1"

to this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.2"

having the gcc version in the path is a bad idea in general, but that will fix it for now.

Reactions: Gadorach

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
change this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.1"

to this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.2"

having the gcc version in the path is a bad idea in general, but that will fix it for now.
Wonderful, worked like a charm, thanks!

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tested it and it likes to freeze the 3DS forcing me to hold power button a lot :(

It's not even official build, so i wouldn't know if the official one will be like it

Here's what I have to do:

Make sure there is a snes/rom.smc in the BigSD, start app, load rom.
If no rom is present in the BigSD:/snes/ folder, the app will lock-up your 3DS.
To exit, eject the GW3DS, as trying to return to the main menu will not work.
When you eject the card, the console will reboot. Just reinsert the GW3DS and reboot GW-mode to resume normal operation.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, this build is very buggy. You really should wait for the official release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol