Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But all 3D-capable TVs can convert 2D to 3D and the people in this thread love a forced 3D effect.

Welcome to 3Dtemp.
why are you complaining so much....if people want it they want it....its not like you will be forced to use it too if it does get added, your entire arguments is "unless everyone wants it all of the time....you shouldnt have it at all"

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why are you complaining so much....if people want it they want it....its not like you will be forced to use it too if it does get added, your entire arguments is "unless everyone wants it all of the time....you shouldnt have it at all"
People talk like it's some sort of impressive feature that's gonna make all the difference.
I actually believe they'd rather have 3D effects than functional sound.

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But all 3D-capable TVs can convert 2D to 3D and the people in this thread love a forced 3D effect.

Welcome to 3Dtemp.

There is a distinct difference between automatic 3D conversion and converting Snes games to be in 3D. The problem with 2D to 3D realtime conversion on TV's is that the effect simply isn't there. It does add depth but the depth doesn't make any sense. I was watching an episode of the The Simpsons and turned it on and homers head couldn't decide what layer of depth it was at and then proceeded to decide parts of him would be in every single one. It does this because it has no actual way of determining what depth each part of the image should be at. If you take the time to actually convert that same image to 3D on your own (Frame by frame) then it'll look fantastic. I wouldn't watch automatic conversions done on my TV but when the conversions are manually done (IE: Titanic) then it can look great. The thing about automatic SNES conversions though is that the basic framework to convert it into 3D already exists due to there being layers. That means the automatic conversions are always going to be better than the ones done on a TV. With that said game specific profiles make it more like the manually done conversions. The 3D will make more sense and look nice for the people who enjoy the effect.

People talk like it's some sort of impressive feature that's gonna make all the difference.
That's because it is. I'm typing this on a computer that has near perfect SNES emulation. I own two tablets that can emulate the SNES almost perfectly (No doubt better than a 3DS can). I have a phone that can emulate the SNES. At the end of the day what this can do that none of my other devices can is give a 3D effect to games like the Nintendo 3D classics did. I found those and this to be really unique and interesting.

Reactions: weatMod

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing about automatic SNES conversions though is that the basic framework to convert it into 3D already exists due to there being layers.

The layers just give you the edge detection for free. You still have absolutely no way of automatically figuring out what depth the tiles and sprites should be at.

You can assume that all tiles are at 1 z position and all sprites are at another z position, it will do something but it won't make the game 3d. Sega have been converting some of their classic games from 2d to 3d, but for each game they spend months adding the extra code and data to make it work.

In a mode 7 driving game for instance you need the floor and the side objects and cars to have the correct z position for each scanline. There is no real way of figuring that out unless you have something in the emulator looking at game specific ram locations and then doing calculations on them.

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The layers just give you the edge detection for free. You still have absolutely no way of automatically figuring out what depth the tiles and sprites should be at.

You can assume that all tiles are at 1 z position and all sprites are at another z position, it will do something but it won't make the game 3d. Sega have been converting some of their classic games from 2d to 3d, but for each game they spend months adding the extra code and data to make it work.

A test emulator using layers to convert the image into 3D already exists and is being displayed here. It automatically determines what depth the different layers should be at. No you won't have individual tile and sprite control but you will have a generalized layer control which is honestly all you need for quite a few games. A lot of 2D games such as platformers and schmups looked just fine even with the simple proof of concept automatic conversions there. Generally the layers are set up in such a way that objects that are supposed to be closer to the screen will be and ones that aren't won't be. Yes, it would look better with control of each individual sprite and tile but all I need/want is just some basic support to be able to add depth to each of the individual layers as I see fit. I stand by exactly what I said. They will always look better than they do on a TV since the layers for the most part make sense while a TV has absolutely nothing to go from.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong here?
No games show up in the menu. I've got them in a folder named snes in the sd with the emulator.

*snip*
Check the properties of the ROM files and make sure the archive checkbox is checked.

This is due to a bug in blargSnes's filesystem code. It will be fixed in the next release.

As for the next release, well:

* I thought I had got PICA200 rendering to work well, but not quite. It still flickered badly and overall not working well enough to be usable. I eventually did some investigation to find out what the GSP events were about and how to properly sync to the PICA200. In the end, it was worth it. Fast and stable display.

* Next step is, of course, adding the SNES video output to that. Probably not going to be too hard. Of course, there's the weird 3DS texture storage format coming into play, but I have ideas regarding that.

* The code behind the bottom screen UI is being rewritten. Internally, it's a lot easier to deal with, and will make it easier to add more UIs, config screens for example. A config screen would be nice for configuring things like scaling.

* With all that, two bugs in the new ctrulib have been fixed to this day. There will also be more, considering the whole 'return to home menu' part needs to be fixed.

Don21

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is their any emulator for nes or snes on 3ds that can let us play online against eachother.

That would be awesome

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In a mode 7 driving game for instance you need the floor and the side objects and cars to have the correct z position for each scanline. There is no real way of figuring that out unless you have something in the emulator looking at game specific ram locations and then doing calculations on them.

mode 7 games should be the only ones that would benefit from the 3D effect and it's an impossible task

lol fail 3D

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
will the next release be before or after smeal releases his exploit? or is this known?
Probably before. With the N3DS crap, I have no idea when the exploit will be released and I'm not waiting for it.

(positively, if the N3DS is hackable, it should do a better job at running blargSnes)

Is their any emulator for nes or snes on 3ds that can let us play online against eachother.

That would be awesome
Not yet. Netplay isn't our priority for now.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably before. With the N3DS crap, I have no idea when the exploit will be released and I'm not waiting for it.

(positively, if the N3DS is hackable, it should do a better job at running blargSnes)

Hopefully the register that controls the CPU isn't blocked from writes in userland.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant wait to see this next update especially if it brings better speed i know we still cant have sound but..eh ill get over it lol

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But aren't those remakes?

I've asked about that as well because they are so close to the originals. I think they are emulating them but with a lot of special coding for the 3D to be done correctly. I'd love it if M2 had been a little more specific about the process but this is all I've read about it and I honestly can't determine if their GigaDrive would be considered an emulator or not
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/03/emulating-megadrive-3ds-isnt-easy-enter-3d-sonic-hedgehog/

It takes them quite a while to do each one, though, so the 3D does seem to need a lot of extra attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P