dragonaire95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello there,
I think I need your help. I have a n3ds with a cfw (ReiNand) using menuhax. Today I updated my EmuNAND (was on 11.0, I think) to 11.4, because I wanted to use the eShop. Now I'm getting a blackscreen whenever I boot my n3ds, though I can see the "menuhax" logo at the beginning of the booting process.
I thought I'd have to replace/update some booting files, so I went to the Luma3DS github-page, even though it's not the cfw I was using, because I heard I could just replace some files and switch to the more supported cfw Luma3DS. I followed the "Installing" section and the "Upgrading from ARN 4.3 or older to Luma3DS" section. Here's the link:
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

Now the root of my SD looks like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-16 um 11.04.14.png

I hope I explained my problem well so you guys can help me out. And sorry if there are any mistakes in my explanation, I'm not english.
Thank you :)

Holiday_Ougi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Scrap that menuhax+emunand setup. It's outdated and doesn't serve a function anymore. Enter into your SysNAND and follow http://3ds.guide. During the guide you will find a section where you'll move your emunand to your sysnand, so you won't lose any games or saves. There is also a German translation avaible :)

Reactions: dragonaire95

dragonaire95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Scrap that menuhax+emunand setup. It's outdated and doesn't serve a function anymore. Enter into your SysNAND and follow http://3ds.guide. During the guide you will find a section where you'll move your emunand to your sysnand, so you won't lose any games or saves. There is also a German translation avaible :)
Is it really safe to upgrade to A9LH? I really don't want to brick my system, I'm not a pro in downgrading and installing these things.

Holiday_Ougi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it really safe to upgrade to A9LH? I really don't want to brick my system, I'm not a pro in downgrading and installing these things.

The guide is now safer than ever. Read it multiple times and don't freak out if something happens. Just be aware of the warnings and you'll be totally safe. I have shacked 12 3ds without any risk at all

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

It's as safe as it can be when messing with your sysNAND. The odds for you to mess up your console if you follow the guide 100% and never stray from it are <0.1%, but it's possible. I've modded ~10 consoles, all with the guide, and no problems whatsoever. Just read it and don't stray from it. The biggest mistake people do is that when they run into trouble they stray from the guide, and only after they've fucked everything they ask for help .. Why not ask help when you run into trouble in the first place?

The guide is now safer than ever. Read it multiple times and don't freak out if something happens. Just be aware of the warnings and you'll be totally safe. I have shacked 12 3ds without any risk at all

Don't make claims you can't back up. No matter how small the risk is, the fact is that there's always a risk when messing with your sysNAND. Even the guide tells you this. There's also the chance for your console to shut down when doing something important and such. Unlikely, but possible.

Last edited by Distrance,

dragonaire95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But before installing A9LH, I have to backup my EmuNAND. So I would really appreciate it, if you could help me getting into my 11.4 EmuNAND. Why do I get a blackscreen?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But before installing A9LH, I have to backup my EmuNAND. So I would really appreciate it, if you could help me getting into my 11.4 EmuNAND. Why do I get a blackscreen?

No, you don't. I'd appreciate it if you actually read the guide that was linked to you.

Your emuNAND is installed on your SD card. Just because you'll install A9LH doesn't make the emuNAND magically disappear from the SD card.

The guide will instruct you when and how to back up your emuNAND. It'll come later, when you're done installing A9LH. You're getting black screen because menuhax is outdated and 11.4 isn't supported. You will not get anything but a black screen until you install A9LH and flash your emuNAND onto your sysNAND.

dragonaire95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, you don't. I'd appreciate it if you actually read the guide that was linked to you.

Your emuNAND is installed on your SD card. Just because you'll install A9LH doesn't make the emuNAND magically disappear from the SD card.

The guide will instruct you when and how to back up your emuNAND. It'll come later, when you're done installing A9LH. You're getting black screen because menuhax is outdated and 11.4 isn't supported. You will not get anything but a black screen until you install A9LH and flash your emuNAND onto your sysNAND.
I did read the guide. It said I would need "nand.bin", but I don't have such a file. So I assumed that I wouldn't be able to restore my EmuNAND, before I make a proper backup. I'm sorry if my message somehow annoyed you.
Anyway, I just installed A9LH. But now I am stuck at "Section VIII CTRNAND Luma3DS" Step 10 (Link: https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax). It says "Press (Start) to reboot your device with your SD card removed", in the next step I am supposed to change some settings, but it doesn't even boot. The blue power LED of the n3DS flashes for a short moment, then turns off. Can you help me?

Reactions: Deleted User

Holiday_Ougi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Uo
I did read the guide. It said I would need "nand.bin", but I don't have such a file. So I assumed that I wouldn't be able to restore my EmuNAND, before I make a proper backup. I'm sorry if my message somehow annoyed you.
Anyway, I just installed A9LH. But now I am stuck at "Section VIII CTRNAND Luma3DS" Step 10 (Link: https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax). It says "Press (Start) to reboot your device with your SD card removed", in the next step I am supposed to change some settings, but it doesn't even boot. The blue power LED of the n3DS flashes for a short moment, then turns off. Can you help me?

You haven't put arm9loaderhax.bin into your CTRNAND. Do that section again

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Try that section again - the arm9loaderhax.bin seems to not have copied correctly

Ninja'd

dragonaire95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for your reply. Yep, that was the mistake. It is working now! Is it correct that I'm not able to restore my games/saves from my previous EmuNAND without the "nand.bin"-backup? I only have all the files + folders that were on the SD card I had my EmuNAND installed on. Not an actual single backup-file.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for your reply. Yep, that was the mistake. It is working now! Is it correct that I'm not able to restore my games/saves from my previous EmuNAND without the "nand.bin"-backup? I only have all the files + folders that were on the SD card I had my EmuNAND installed on. Not an actual single backup-file.

Section IV - Restoring the System

" If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead of doing the first four steps in this section. "

The emuNAND is located on your SD card on a hidden partition. If you have not done anything to the SD card such as format it, then your emuNAND is still intact. You will not see nand.bin on the SD card on your Windows, but you will see it with Godmode9 if it exists. Like I explained before, after installing A9LH you restore your emuNAND to your sysNAND. Follow the guide.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At a certain part of the guide, it will instruct you to follow the "Move emuNAND" instructions instead of restoring your previous NAND backup if applicable. If you've already finished the guide, you can just follow that section now.

D

Deleted User

It's as safe as it can be when messing with your sysNAND. The odds for you to mess up your console if you follow the guide 100% and never stray from it are <0.1%, but it's possible. I've modded ~10 consoles, all with the guide, and no problems whatsoever. Just read it and don't stray from it. The biggest mistake people do is that when they run into trouble they stray from the guide, and only after they've fucked everything they ask for help .. Why not ask help when you run into trouble in the first place?

Don't make claims you can't back up. No matter how small the risk is, the fact is that there's always a risk when messing with your sysNAND. Even the guide tells you this. There's also the chance for your console to shut down when doing something important and such. Unlikely, but possible.

Sometimes being a mindless sheep is no more beneficial than trying to make it up as you go. In my case, I had set up for an install of the A9LH in the past, but it was not possible for my particular hardware at that time. This actually made safehax crash with an error about a missing otp.bin. I could not perform the steps coming from A9LH, since it was never fully installed. Instead, I took everything on the root of the card not related to the guide and moved it to a backup folder (breaking the links to it).

Safehax then prompted that the arm9.bin was missing. The guide doesn't mention it, but it is in the SafeB9SInstaller folder and is placed on the root of the sdcard to resolve this issue. This led to safehax only booting up with what looked like a half corrupted screen.

I searched around for similar issues and found that in the past, safehax would not boot without a cartridge and the developer was looking for a solution. Knowing how those things go, I assumed it was the typical "from one extreme to the other" and attempted removing the cartridge that was in my system. This resolved the issue and everything installed.

The key is not to go making steps up that have no rational explanation and not to mindlessly follow instructions unless they make sense and fit the situation. It pays to research before you attempt anything, but also to have the capacity to think for yourself.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1