[BFWWIWA] Issue #2 - Sony PSVita

Which system would you like to see covered in the next BFWWIWA issue?

• Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Colour

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance

• Nintendo DS

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo 3DS

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Sony PlayStation

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Sony PlayStation 3

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Sony PSP

• Sega Master System

• Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

• Atari 2600

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • The Classic Amiga Line (500/600/1200)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • PC - A Personal RETRO-spective

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, I was responding to Guild McCommunist's question of why I didn't buy a PS4 instead of hoping for the Vita to become its own entity.
Oh, fair enough then.

Well, I don't have a PS4 myself at the moment, but I'm definitely planning to buy one once they become more affordable and the library builds up. Until then, I'll keep on collecting PS4 Plus content to have stuff to play right out of the gate. :)

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for reading the article and don't be afraid to ask "Why Would you Want A..." - as the old proverb says, "The one who asks questions doesn't lose his way". Cheers! ;)
Hi Foxi!

Thank you for this fine article about the Vita. Some time ago I thought about buying one, but didn't inform me any further. Now you did it for me. ;)
After reading I feel partially enlightened - with some questions floating still in my mind.

There are 3 versions of the PSVita, so far so good. A Quick look on Amazon gives me only one version, even without a model number. There arent even colors to choose from .. did I do something wrong? The only difference I saw was a slim version of the vita in a bundle with Ratchet & Clank - is this the 2000er model then? No luck with finding the TV model either. Maybe it's all differrent for europe? Or maybe I'm just stupid on this one.

Without having seen the models - what actually are the differences (You spoke of different displays) ? And which one you would recommend to buy / did you buy?
What are the analog sticks like? Do they feel comfortabel to you? I admit that I don't understand the purpose of the rear touchpad when you also have a normal touchpad. To not block the screen? Does it even work properly?

Are there more games like Tearway which use the cameras and stuff in a innovative way?

Does the video / voice chat also work as a part of the multitasking feature (Meaning talking while playing)?

"PSVita's PSP Mode gives a little bit more juice to the games and applications than the original PSP"

What is this "juice"?

(Example: I noticed while playing Final Fantasy VII on PS3 that the sound effect when you are selecting stuff in the menu is not original. It sounds so .. weird. Like the sound of casting a spell when those green shockwaves are on the ground. Don't know if it understandable what I mean.. but if these sounds were correct on Vita, that would be awesome.)

Sounds a bit troublesome to get access to all the backup stuff in the FAQ topic. Is it (Your opinion)?
Or would you recommend buying a PSP to play backups there?

How is the runtime of the Vita (hours) without charging?

And one last question: Is it possible to hear own music while playing? Never worked with PS3.

That would be my questions - hopefully not as dumb as I think they are. :mellow:
I would be grateful if you could take your time to answer - sorry for the grammar and stuff.

compliments

Bimmel

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 3 versions of the PSVita, so far so good.
There are two versions. The regular model (1000) and slim model. (2000)

The regular model launched in both Wifi and 3G versions. I think the 3G version has since been discontinued, at least in the U.S.

In the U.S. the slim model is available only in the Borderlands 2 bundle.

The Ratchet bundle you saw on amazon might have been a PSP, not a Vita.

Without having seen the models - what actually are the differences (You spoke of different displays) ? And which one you would recommend to buy / did you buy?
The regular model (1000) has an OLED display, while the slim (2000) has an LCD display.
The main difference in the display is that the OLED has slightly richer colors. Some also complain that the display on the slim model has a yellow tint.

There are other differences between the two models. The styling is different, and the slim model has a micro USB charging port while the original does not. Slim has about 1 hour longer battery life.

I admit that I don't understand the purpose of the rear touchpad when you also have a normal touchpad. To not block the screen?
Games use the rear touchpad and front touchscreen for different things. So it doesn't really solve the screen-blocking issue.

"PSVita's PSP Mode gives a little bit more juice to the games and applications than the original PSP"

What is this "juice"?
Vita has a filter to hide the pixels but some feel it looks worse this way. This feature can be disabled.
Also, I was told that Vita improves framerate of some PSP games. The PSP can do this too, but only if you hack it.

Reactions: Bimmel

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In regards to PSP juice I also meant that from what I've heard, the PSVita allows for a bit faster clock speed and memory frequency than a standard PSP, allowing for a bit more fluid operation. It's not much, but it's something.

As for the three models I meant the PSVita 1000, PSVita 2000 and the PSVita TV, also known as the PlayStation TV. There are some colours released in the west, but most are Japanese exclusive. I know for a fact that there are black and white PSVitas available in the US, but other colours can only be imported, I think. No biggie seeing that the system is region free, it's just an additional expense for style.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to PSP juice I also meant that from what I've heard, the PSVita allows for a bit faster clock speed and memory frequency than a standard PSP, allowing for a bit more fluid operation. It's not much, but it's something.

As for the three models I meant the PSVita 1000, PSVita 2000 and the PSVita TV, also known as the PlayStation TV. There are some colours released in the west, but most are Japanese exclusive. I know for a fact that there are black and white PSVitas available in the US, but other colours can only be imported, I think. No biggie seeing that the system is region free, it's just an additional expense for style.

White ones aren't really that common nowadays since they were only included in the Assassin's Creed bundle.

I have one. I'll also get the white PS4 bundle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over