Better in japan

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest with you, on the left looks ridiculous. Thats not what punks look like. She looks like she was a hooker fighter, nonsense. On the far right, better appearance because thats what punks are supposed to be a fighters. Just saying.
Be honest though, Who doesn't enjoy smacking around hookers? :P

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if I am misremembering but I thought there was no overall punk dress code.

Edit. Forgot to say I also watched that video. Some games thoroughly ruined there, I had no idea it was so bad.

Well, about the punk dress code on the left was correct for one thing: A short, yes. The half naked t-shirt for fighing was nonsense.

Be honest though, Who doesn't enjoy smacking around hookers? :P

LOL! Sure! :D

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
it makes sense when you read the manual and it says "she is a he"

IIRC that was a (very)bad move to try to NOT change the graphics but I guess that "no no no, isn't a she, is a travesty so is ok to show some under boobs" wasn't enough for NOA.

EDIT: this
Originally conceived as a female thug in Final Fight and part of the game's antagonist group, Mad Gear, concerns during the game's development about reactions from North American audiences to fighting women, resulted in the character being re-imagined as a futanari. However, that was not considered satisfactory and both Poison and her palette swap Roxy were replaced by the male characters "Billy" and "Sid", and have been for every subsequent North American port of the title on Nintendo consoles and handhelds.
source

EDIT2: fuck that for giving me tons of futa rule34.

Reactions: NahuelDS

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first Persona game on PS1. Japan became America, the names were localized, one of the Japanese characters was changed to a black character and many other edits. What a mess, fortunately, Atlus released a PSP version uncensored.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It depends on what you consider to be "better". If you think that a little boy running around naked in Earthbound is entertaining, well, that's your prerogative. :rofl2: The only thing that was annoying in that localization was cigarettes replaced with lollypops. Children are young, but they're not stupid, c'mon people.

I also remember how they had changed Bars to 'Cafes'....the insides of which were all super shady and filled with weird people....all drinking coffee!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I also remember how they had changed Bars to 'Cafes'....the insides of which were all super shady and filled with weird people....all drinking coffee!
Oh yeah, absolutely! I also remembered that they removed the cross from the hospital in the American version because it's a symbol associated with religion... despite the fact that hospitals all around the world use the red cross symbol. :rofl2:

d3E6dCI.png

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 Ocarina of Time red blood when Ganomdorf is cough in final battle... gamecube-3DS version is have green blood when cough...

Actually version 1.0 on the US release had red blood as well, but 1.1 and 1.2 changed that, among other aspects.

Oh yeah, absolutely! I also remembered that they removed the cross from the hospital in the American version because it's a symbol associated with religion... despite the fact that hospitals all around the world use the red cross symbol. :rofl2:

d3E6dCI.png

I thought it was also to avoid problems from Red Cross, oddly enough, if you go to Twoson to Burglin Park, you can see the red cross in the American version.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

d3E6dCI.png

I thought that was a fairly well documented thing with trademarks needing to be enforced.
http://boingboing.net/2006/02/09/canadian-red-cross-w.html

Edit. That is a somewhat later timeframe, not sure what happened here.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC that was a (very)bad move to try to NOT change the graphics but I guess that "no no no, isn't a she, is a travesty so is ok to show some under boobs" wasn't enough for NOA.
EDIT2: fuck that for giving me tons of futa rule34.
actually, she was conceived as a "new-half" from the very beginning

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
actually, she was conceived as a "new-half" from the very beginning
*video*

after digging some more I come up with the conclusion that not even Capcom know.
in the original "Final Fight" Poison creator Akira Yasuda states that was designed as a female and during game development was changes to futa for "fighting females is bad" reasons thanks to the planned release of the game in USA, still that wasn't enough and was replaced in the US version of the game, remained with minor censoring as a cross-dresser in EUR regions, and thus she was a female in Japan and a male in the rest of the world.
in "Final Fight: Revenge" s/he was a playable character and Capcom stated that "might have gotten a sex change" and the profiles in the 2005 "Capcom classics compilation" confirmed that was a transgender.
later in an interview with "Final Fight" producer and Akira Nishitani stated that "the viewer to decide."
in another interview to Street Fighter 4 producer, Yoshinori Ono, he was asked about it and added to the mix "Let's set the record straight: in North America, Poison is officially a post-op transsexual. But in Japan, she simply tucks her business away to look female.". later the asked about what female characters could be added to Street Fighter 4 he said that would be confusing due to region-specific genders.
during the development of Street Fighter X Tekken he addressed what he said and said that Poison was a post-op transsexual but later he simply stuck to what Akira Nishitani said that was up to the player to decide.

Conclusion: nobody knows and everybody win(?) :unsure:
as for me, is a she because I like it that way and nobody can say I'm wrong :gun:

info from here

EDIT: I'm still angry by the rule34 images :angry:

Reactions: spiral6

spiral6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
One thing I remember is Zero Suit Samus from SSBB. Her appearance changed in all 3 versions, but the U.S. version turned out to have the most "suggestive" model.

dxplay2128

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Well, in Um Jammer Lammy (sequel of PaRappa the Rapper) the stage 6 have a totally different intro cutscene. Here is a video of it

JAPANESE

AMERICAN

I don't know if you can call it better, since an opinion is subjective, personally I like the japanese cutscene.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I remember is Zero Suit Samus from SSBB. Her appearance changed in all 3 versions, but the U.S. version turned out to have the most "suggestive" model.
Go on...

Just found out that in the Jap version of Top Gear for SNES, sometimes your racer will say "What the Hell?" lol

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the flipside, you can't detonate the nuke in Megaton in the Japanese version of Fallout 3.

I wish I had... I decided to do it the old fashioned way. That Sheriff can seriously suck a giant cock...

I think I died like 30 times killing that town off. (Was an alternate save I was doing for reasons.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end