shurf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

I've read about a few different media player apps for the Wii. Can anyone recommend which one is best? I'm currently using Mplayer but it has no gui whatsoever. I don't really mind, but if there's a better one, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to switch to it.

shurf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geexbox sounds good, and I especially like the fact that it can play RMVB.

But everytime I try to load it, the progress bar on the splash screen just stops at a certain point. It basically freezes and I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. I'll try to find a working version of it.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
For music, Dragon Media Player.
For SD/USB video, between MPlayerWii and GeeXboX.
For DVD, MPlayer (DVD version)

MPlayerWii has the best USB reading speeds.
GeeXboX has other advantages (better USB device compatability?, visualisations, gui etc)
The other MPlayer is the only once capable of DVD playback atm. It also plays video from SD card decently, but not as well as the other two.

Unfortunately i haven't seen any image viewing hombrew available for wii yet. have i missed anything (at least i'm pretty sure the ones mentioned in this topic don't display images)

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
shurf said:
Geexbox sounds good, and I especially like the fact that it can play RMVB.

But everytime I try to load it, the progress bar on the splash screen just stops at a certain point. It basically freezes and I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. I'll try to find a working version of it.

Version alpha3 and 4 and known to often crash on loading, alpha2 works perfectly. Try that.

shurf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Alpha 2 works great.
smile.gif

I'm going to stick with Geexbox. Its pretty awesome.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to confirm OSW's statement, MPlayer is the only one with DVD playback?

Also, if a download a movie in say xvid format GeexBox will play it?

EDIT: After doing some reading, it looks like MPlayerWii looks it may be better for playing video files than Geexbox. I use MPlayer on my computer as it's the only player that correctly plays .mkv's(hd movies) for me. So if this port performs anything as close to the pc player then I'll be happy.

One more thing, WiiBrew on the MPlayer DVD-playback lists that playback can be pretty buggy. Anyone that has used this, have you have had any trouble with playback? Or would it just be better to use a dedicated dvd player, or any other console(360, ps2, etc)?

Thanks.

Mii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, MPlayer (dvdlib version) is the only one that has dvd playback support.

GeeXboX supports All audio/video formats supported by MPlayer (yes, rmvb included), with the exception of WMV9 audio (copied from wiibrew.org) - So yes it should play Xvid but I have not tried GeeXboX yet, so correct me if im wrong..

I have tried MPlayer (dvdlib version) to play multiple dvd's, other than it taking a while to get them started, it has no problem playing them!

I personally use MPlayer for dvds and DragonMediaPlayer for music, still yet to try GeeXboX but maybe wait for the next release before I do..

Hope that helps!
Mii

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iirc i was having troubles with the latest geexbox loading. then i moved all my vids and put them in a folder instead of having the vids on the root of my card ^^ worked perfectly fine after that

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mii said:
Yes, MPlayer (dvdlib version) is the only one that has dvd playback support.

GeeXboX supports All audio/video formats supported by MPlayer (yes, rmvb included), with the exception of WMV9 audio (copied from wiibrew.org) - So yes it should play Xvid but I have not tried GeeXboX yet, so correct me if im wrong..

I have tried MPlayer (dvdlib version) to play multiple dvd's, other than it taking a while to get them started, it has no problem playing them!

I personally use MPlayer for dvds and DragonMediaPlayer for music, still yet to try GeeXboX but maybe wait for the next release before I do..

Hope that helps!
Mii

That does help. Thank you Mii. It's nice to know that MPlayer has no problem playing DVD's.

EDIT: Yep, you're right, MPlayer does seem to play DVD's just fine. That's pretty cool. And MPlayerWii plays movies just fine(only tried xvid's so far). Hopefully it will play the x264 format, as movies in this format look a lot better than xvid.

Hellfire

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I can't get Mplayer to read DVDs I downloaded it from the homebrew browser or whatever it's called, when I select play DVD it just stops there, if I press home I see some messages saying cant real bla bla and goes back to HBC. Help?

ryu00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hellfire have you installed the dvdx stub? (if you dont have a mod chip thats all you need) and if you do you need to install the patchMii 1st as well. i did both of these and dvds now work. in regards to geekbox mine was also freezing loading the app near the end of the bar progress, i read a suggestion to change the sd card to read only with the little switch, and it loaded fine after that. i might however give alpha 2 a try now.

Hellfire

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
ryu00 said:
Hellfire have you installed the dvdx stub? (if you dont have a mod chip thats all you need) and if you do you need to install the patchMii 1st as well. i did both of these and dvds now work. in regards to geekbox mine was also freezing loading the app near the end of the bar progress, i read a suggestion to change the sd card to read only with the little switch, and it loaded fine after that. i might however give alpha 2 a try now.
No, I read about those but I really didn't understand what I'm supposed to do or how to install them. I'm really a noob at these things. I have a WiiKey, but I have HBC as well. Do I just, put the patchmii in a folder rename it into boot.dol run it, then the same with dvdx?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1