Homebrew Best way to play DVD movies on Wii?

Clutz450

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I need an older Wii which I do have. I have done a lot of searching and have come across 2 programs, mplayer ce and WiiMC. But I haven't seen any recent information on either of them and no real guide. I saw a video of mplayer where it showed I needed to use a version of HackMii installer which installs DVDX but I didn't see the same for WiiMC. Does WiiMC work out of the box for DVD playback?

Also which one is the best to use and more like an actual DVD player? Thank you.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really need to install DVDx nowadays, but as the previous poster said, I would highly suggest against using your Wii as a regular DVD player. Technically the laser can read DVD discs just fine and there were licensing restrictions preventing the Wii from playing DVDs in the first place, but the long-term it's gonna wear down your Wii's laser until it stops working properly.

Reactions: Clutz450

knm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the way to play DVD videos are WiiMC and MCPlayer Wii (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_applications). If you have the Wii with old drive (d3 or less) you can run DVD video directly to the Wii. On WiiMC, if you have Wii with new drive (d3-2 and d4), you need external DVD so you don't have worry about to find and buy Wii with old drive instead. I think WiiMC is the only device that support external DVD.

Last edited by knm,
Reactions: Clutz450

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them