ROM Hack Best version of Super Mario 64?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm looking for the best version of Super Mario 64.
I know that the DS version looks not so bad when played in an emulator since it only looks crappy because the DS has that shitty low resolution.
Nevertheless I prefer the 64 version, especially with this texture pack. (is this the best one btw?)
The problem is, that the DS version is newer and has more features (more characters, more content).
So is there some kind of rom hack for the 64 version that adds that DS content or a really good texture pack for the DS version that makes it the ultimate version or what can you recommend?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the DS version looks not so bad when played in an emulator since it only looks crappy because the DS has that shitty low resolution.
Nevertheless I prefer the 64 version, especially with this texture pack. (is this the best one btw?)
The problem is, that the DS version is newer and has more features (more characters, more content).
So is there some kind of rom hack for the 64 version that adds that DS content or a really good texture pack for the DS version that makes it the ultimate version or what can you recommend?
Super Mario Odyssey is the best Super Mario 64 [emoji14]

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No and no. Although you can commish kaze emanuar to port the stuff from 64 ds over the 64 version, since i highly doubt someone else will do it for you for free.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, found one that not only adds HD textures but vastly improves the polygon count and makes everything look less blocky and all around amazing. Definitely the definitive way to play Mario 64.
Super-Mario-Odyssey-Mushroom-Kingdom-Peach-Castle.jpg

Mario-Odyssey-Mushroom-Kingdom-Toadette-Screenshot-2017-10-27-11-27-19.png
Super-Mario-Odyssey-Yoshi.png

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can commish kaze emanuar
I can what? Is that even english? I'm not getting what you're sayin' at all. :P
And I don't want someone to do it for me (as rom sharing is illegal obviously) but to tell me what patches, packs and/or emulators I would have to use. ;)

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can what? Is that even english? I'm not getting what you're sayin' at all. :P
And I don't want someone to do it for me (as rom sharing is illegal obviously) but to tell me what patches, packs and/or emulators I would have to use. ;)
Sorry, commish = commissioning or buying a commission from someone. I'm too used to the commish word since it is quite used in the artists community lmao.

Sadly there are not patches or texture hacks for sm64 ds that make it look less, pixelated (at least on the textures part) and there is also no patch for the 64 version that adds the 64 ds content. So, unless you are decided to do it at your own, you can commission kaze emanuer (a popular or famous? super mario 64 hacker) that makes rom hacks for people who have payed him.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yeah, found one that not only adds HD textures but vastly improves the polygon count and makes everything look less blocky and all around amazing. Definitely the definitive way to play Mario 64.
Super-Mario-Odyssey-Mushroom-Kingdom-Peach-Castle.jpg

Mario-Odyssey-Mushroom-Kingdom-Toadette-Screenshot-2017-10-27-11-27-19.png
Super-Mario-Odyssey-Yoshi.png
Is that a joke or real?
I guess it's some fan thing in unity etc but if it's really some crazy mod to the n64 one, tell me more.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I prefer the N64 version too, it has better controls and is more suited for playing on an emulator. The dual screen thing doesn't really work that well on a single screen device. Also, the textures are higher res on N64.
But the DS version is far better in terms of content.
I wish there was a romhack like you're talking about. The DS version has almost double the content, but is worse in every other way. I'm surprised no one has attempted it yet. Maybe it will happen some day, there are still people doing SM64 romhacks so anything could happen.

Super Mario 64 Last Impact is pretty good though. Play that if you haven't yet. It's almost the quality of an official game, just needs some more polish as there are some... oddities in it, like being able to walk partly into walls. It's as if some of the walls are 2 layers, a visual outer layer that you can walk through with an inner layer that you can't. It doesn't really affect gameplay though.

Reactions: lordelan

LastduaL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The in-progress Super Mario Star World hack is looking very promising for the M64DS, and even if you just use the "controls test" with the vanilla game, I find it improves the DS version's controls significantly. The N64 game still feels slightly better, but with the hack's snappier movement, the difference is small enough to make the DS version, with its added extras, stand as my overall favorite way to play the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.